WTF - Need computer help

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2086
ok i consider myself pretty suave when it comes to using computers but this one is stumping me. windows (xp mce) itself lags out every so often, for no reason. everything just freezes, and ~15 sec later its fine, and repeats. i eliminated all the process's i could and it still does it. anybody know wtf is goin on?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3217
Download hijackthis, run "do a system scan and save a logfile". Post logfile here and I will take a look. Probably spyware, a couple BHO's and/or worm/virus.

http://www.merijn.org/files/HiJackThis_v2.exe

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2087
fileden.com/files/2007/2/24/813795/hijackthis.log

dont think its a virus of any type, i run bitdefender total 08. i used to have ad-aware and it helped out a bit. gonna get that again and see what it says...

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3218
You have far to many HKLM\..\Run items. Go into msconfig and stop all those from starting up. Also get rid of the Bit Comet BHO. Stop the NMIndexingService.exe from running also. You also have a ton of running processes that are suspect. Your hijackthislog should be 1/3 the size it is. Do some cleaning up and don't run anything that your comp doesnt need at startup. Start programs when you need them only. Ace IE and get Opera.

But what is causing your freezing is almost for sure Bit Defender. Uninstall it, clean up all of the registry keys left behind using JV16, get another antivirus and see if that fixes the problem.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1158
Bit Defender = trash.
I took a look at the log and I agree with Brad completely. It is way to big and has allot of unnecessary things running.

If all else fails:
format c:

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2089
AA just brought up a bunch of cookies and a few mru's... thanks for the help though Brad, i'll let you know the results when i'm done overhauling

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6838
More reasons why I hate $hittySoft products.
If it still lags, try the defrag and turn off the "fast search/indexing" option for the hard drive. It's a waste of hard drive space and resources. After it's turned off, you'll notice that your HD is no longer that busy.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1160
"More reasons why I hate $hittySoft products."

You are probably using Windows right now Isaac lol. What is there to hate about Windows? If you know what you are doing, you won't have any problems at all.

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2090
recommended AV?

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1161
Nod32.
IMO, best A/V and spyware scanner out.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 521
lags out like as in it just freezes? nothing opens? and then it all let's up a min. later?

http://codecavalier.com/blackviper/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

read that page and follow what he says, choose "power user".

if after that, u still have the prolbem try taking out a stick of ram and turning ur pc on and seeing if u get the same results, if so, take out the other stick of ram and put the other one back in. repeat.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6843
Nick V, I do know what I'm doing, but it's annoying to use a product that was badly designed and charged high fee.
Try installing a fresh copy of XP in a new computer without any PATCHES. See how fast it boots up. Now apply all the patches needed. Now time it. Install another annoying product Norton, then time it again. Now let the $hittySoft turn on indexing on your hard drive and see how slow it runs. Throw in 4 cpu processor and see what happens. The OS only sees 2. $hittysoft then tells you to fork over more money for a 64bit OS with more flaws and patches. Do you get the picture?
I'm currently running Windows inside a Mac. It is so much better than a true Windows machine. FYI, Mac is 64bit and doesn't ask for more money for it, costs less than half the price of Windows. Did I mention it doesn't crash?

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2091
ok, so far i've disabled a bunch of hklm's, startup items, and stopped 1 or 2 services. things were kind of faster, but then i noticed a process that wasn't there before called "upnp.exe", which is associated with bitcomet. i ended that process and things are back to normal :-)

jeremy, it would go fine for like 30 sec or so, then all programs would lag, and then run fine again. btw, i can't open my case w/o voiding warranty

i'll continue to tweak some other stuff anyways just to be safe. thanks for the help guys

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1163
Try installing a fresh copy of XP in a new computer without any PATCHES. See how fast it boots up. Now apply all the patches needed. Now time it. Install another annoying product Norton, then time it again. Now let the $hittySoft turn on indexing on your hard drive and see how slow it runs. Throw in 4 cpu processor and see what happens. The OS only sees 2. $hittysoft then tells you to fork over more money for a 64bit OS with more flaws and patches. Do you get the picture?
I'm currently running Windows inside a Mac. It is so much better than a true Windows machine. FYI, Mac is 64bit and doesn't ask for more money for it, costs less than half the price of Windows. Did I mention it doesn't crash?

1. I never install any microsoft patches on my windows machines, and they all run flawlessly for many different tasks.
2. Norton blows anyway, don't associate it with windows. Try a real anti virus.
3. I have indexing turned on for my hard drives and it runs smooth as it did when it was off.
4. You should know that the 32bit windows xp will see all 4 processors. So I don't know where you get 2 from?
5. If you're windows crashes, its a user error that you created yourself, Windows doesn't just crash if you have a clue about what you are doing.
6. The majority of programs/games are in fact 32bit windows compatible. If you start running a 64bit OS, then you won't have as much of a broad selection of software.

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2095
so everything decided to take a fat sh!t on me again. formatting will be done shortly

but i have a dillema... kind of. i have a LOT of media. can i partition a spot in my hd to put it all in that wont be formatted?

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 523
burn it to disc?

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2096
i'm talkin over 40gb haha and i don't have an DL dvd's or blu-ray capability. i have an external hd but it takes mad long to transfer that much and i just don't wanna go through it all

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 525
perhaps u sould winzip it or winrar it to a lower my tolerable size ....

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2104
zipping that much data takes even longer than to just transfer it all lol

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1164
Eric don't be lazy lol.
Just let it transfer to your external over night.

OR:

Take the HDD out of your external, then hook it up as a slave on your computer. Might be a little bit faster to transfer that way.

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2127
windows updates anyone? Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us