This is beyond MAD!

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4531
http://www.termpro.com/tv/dbtvplayer.asp?player=1&URL=http://www.dbtv.com/videos /mythbusters.wmv&Title=Mythbusters - Shattering Subwoofer

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10043
Yeah it's real. Real retarded. It disappointed so many ppl expecting an actual car subwoofer episode, not some Frankenstein of a project that WASN'T powered by an amp. Still reached a decent DB but wasn't considered by many a real attempt. Fun to watch I guess tho.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4532
I laughed so hard when they played back some of the video footage in slow motion, as it joggled around like some insane Mexican jumping bean.

16Hz isn't too bad I guess, perhaps they should have welded down the sunroof.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10048
It was the mechanics involved that destroyed the structure. The linkage between the tranny and sub wasn't solid, the cab wasn't air tight and the surround destroyed itself under performance.

To me there wasn't a myth busted at all.

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 982
I agree with you Paul.

The way they had it set up was completely wrong. The cone was prabably too heavy and it didn't exactly move straight up and down. The linkage was went out first causing the "woofer"
to over-exsert, causing the surround (which was too tight to begin with) to rip and ending up in a catastrophe.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3553
"Still reached a decent DB" decent? are you fvckking kidding, they did it at 16hz, i'd like to any1 do that number that low of hz using "real" subwoofers, imo that myth was busted the onyl thing they could do different is use a car that didin't have a sunroof, and make a better "surrond".

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10058
Well who knows what hz they could've got it up to if the dang thing didn't self destruct so soon lol? If by some chance it DID hold together up to say even 30hz, it would've been insane. This is why a coil closely sandwiched between magnets is the best "suspension". No mechanical connection between the power and cone. The mechanics failed on their attempt before any proof was acquired.

They should've had Steve Meade as a guest builder.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4534
Then how about a sub that blows you off your feet and sends you flying though the air, like the fabricated sub used in "Back to the Future" (1995).

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us