She knows!!!

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

Formerly known as Wolf...

Post Number: 158
Yep, my wife now knows about the subs. She was in a good mood because I had agreed about us moving into a cheaper place, so while we were in the car I said "Well, since you are in such a good mood, check this out." and flipped the switch..She was like "OMG!! How long have you had them, and how much did they cost?" She was more upset about the cost than about me actually having them. She's ok with it all though, as long as she doesn't have to listen to them..

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7718
Wow. You dodged a freight train. Now at least you can bump without a guilty conscience.

Where you moving?

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
well, were gonna move out of the apt. ($600 month) into a trailer ($350 month). But we will have to pay for cable and internet (about $60 a month) even though, its still cheaper

Gold Member

Post Number: 7720
Wow that's cheap. Apt's around here go for $750/month for studio's. A decent condo or something affiliated with an association is $1200 and up. I hate Jersey.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
well, the apt is $600 a month, 2bedroom, 2 bath...and the trailer is 2bedroom 1bath, but anyway this is Louisiana, and even though the rent is cheaper, we also get paid less...I have what is considered a pretty good paying job....about $10.50hr if you figure it that way, since I'm salaried.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7723
Me and my boy "get by" on $26.45/hr (salaried). Small 3 bed rancher on 1/3 acre. I drive a used PU and perform odd jobs for ppl for extra $$ when I can. Our states are in completely different cost of living brackets.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4687
dayum, i just got a new apartment for 600 a month and that doesnt include cable and internet and stuff. and its only a 1 bed and bath! then again that is considered cheap here.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 10035
I paid $1500 a month for an efficiency for my son, 10 years ago, when he was in college in Boston...

Rents in SW Florida are cheap...$650 a month for a 2 bedroom but the wages are VERY low and actually insulting...like $10-$12 an hour for computer graphic artists and tool/die and computer designer manufacturing jobs...they need labor unions here, but the workers don't want them, they don't see the big picture..they were GREAT in New England..made sure people got an honest wage...

hell I make $35 per hour (2080 hrs in a work year...$73k) just in my retirement when I turned 47, just fishing, golfing, screwing around all day... nevermind my real estates , stocks, 401K, mutual funds, and small consulting PT business... but I remember the days, that I had to borrow $300 to buy an old beater car once too, while raising 2 infant sons by myself... smartest thing I did was buy my first house when I was 21, after saving some money after Nam...we all get thru it and things get better when u start thinking with the right head...

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5327
glad to hear she 'approved' it bud....keep on bumping wolf

Gold Member

Post Number: 7735
Retirement at 47, wow. That will never happen for me. Real estate is where it's at but you need $$ to dive in and get started. After my divorce things went from stable to "do what needs to be done" kind of attitude. No way of predicting these things.

Ideally I want retirement in my late 50's but sadly will probably need to work into my 60's. I'll bust my back to see my kids have what they need AND want, all while teaching them money is a necessity for life, just not a requirement to enjoy it.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2553
Nice. Now you can start "the stealth Upgrade"

Keep stashing money aside and get bigger amps and subs and She will think its the same system.
And

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10044
Paul...the banks have tons of money...its ONLY paper...all u need is decent credit..I bought a "flip" house last year with $0 money (rolled the closing costs etc), dropped $10K into it for some repairs (roof-AC) and cosmetic crap (paint-carpets/tile- lawn), and put $20K PROFIT in my pocket 60 days later...

BTW...and I didn't do ANY labor myself!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7747
Yeah my brother-in-law and I have toyed with that idea. I would swing the hammer and he would handle the financing/real estate part of it. We were about to roll with it and between my divorce and his two unexpected daughters kinda pushed it back. Still wanna do it.

He's a hvac salesman for Sears and recently started selling kitchens as well. He gets everything at cost so that helps a ton. 2 years ago I had replaced my central air and furnace, installed was only $2500 after utility rebates. Nice to have connections.

Even with the real estate slump we're in with what I paid for my house 4 years ago and what its' worth today I could walk away with $60,000 easy.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3961
You should move over to the United Kingdom flats are cheaper especially if you can get one above a shop and with hardly anyone to the side of you its crank up that 18" sub mate KABOOM!

Plus I don't watch TV so I can save on the silly BBC licence fee and besides I'm quite content with laserdisc DVD CD and classic FM stuff cable digital BBC TV!

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4698
yeah LK we really need labor unions down here. i was talking to a guy from new york and he was making 20 and hour cooking and down here they start him at 10 because we have all the guatamallins and mexicans that will work for so cheap

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10066
Florida and that "right to work" phrase they use is a bunch of BS...but these people here are afraid to unite or speak up...they even act grateful for a lousy $10-$12 an hour which no man or woman can support their family on, even if both parents are working..and generally, the cost of living here is NO cheaper than up North, in fact about the same or more here.. (higher electric, house insurance, car insurance, food, water, fuel-gasoline, property taxes, etc in Florida)...Only thing cheaper here is real estate, and heat..but the weather's great 8-9 months of the year..

Gold Member

Post Number: 7780
I have a small 3 bed rancher on 1/3 acre. My taxes last year were around $5000. Car ins for one vehicle fully covered is $2500. Gas is decent, I have TWO sewer bills, one from my town and one from my county. Health ins is ludicrous, and now we have an exit tax hindering anyone from leaving. You can sell your house, but you better be moving within the state or get SLAMMED by the state. It's enough to make you give up.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3783
i plan on saving up about 20 g's nxt yr to try and put a down payment on a house up here in MA but will try to get a house in NH since there about 60's cheaper on avg me and my gf would be doing this together.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10071
ouch...wow,those are high taxes...here that would be about $3000 for a 2000 sq ft home and 2 car garage with screened in inground pool on same size lot...my water/sewer is $80 per month and electric is $135 per month averaged, car ins is same as yours, house insurance is $4000 a year...and here too if u sell your house and ONLY move down the street , u can add another $1000-$2000 a year to that $3000 property tax (depending on house ages)..

here u can buy a 2500 sq ft CONCRETE NEW home, landscaped, all appliances, nice tile and/or carpet, hurricane proof w shutters and windows, caged screened inground lifetime cement pool (NOT cheap vinyl or fiberglass), inground sprinklers, 2 car garage on 1/3 acre for $200K...thats cheap...4 years ago they were $325K...Hurricane Charley brought all the prices up initially for 1 year and then they crashed big time..I bought mine here 6 years ago for $80K.....LOL....and I had another one in Key Largo, and still have 2 up North..

But REAL ESTATE, especially NOW is the thing to grab onto..and INVEST...even multifamily or single family rentals...or flip them...prices are dirt cheap now!...will never be this cheap again...I love banks, they practically beg U to take their money, and with 5.3% interest only....LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 7796
Got room for me and my boy LK?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10075
LOL...U would make dirt money here...this is great place to retire (weather, women, good times) but not to raise a child...too many dumb rednecks and terrible schools..but little crime in my particular area....Pittsburg is great...has great people, decent schools, hard working middle class good people..

Gold Member

Post Number: 7799
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, however spent the last 20 years in Jersey. I'm divorced so my relocation options are zero because my daughter is with my ex and my son is with me. I'm not going to separate them. They're all they have.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10078
Understand ..unsual to have children brother/sister apart, but if they are older teenagers, then completely understand.....my 30 yr old son is in similiar situation...his x-wife has the kids (11-12) unfortunately, and he hates his location and the "weekend" dad routine, but doesn't want to leave his kids, especially with her only...unfortunately judges in this country belive men are incapable of being a good single parent and so therefore, women usually always gain custody....I was a RARE exception 28 years ago when I won custody of my 2 sons, after lengthy court battles and having one of the best attorneys in the entire US... and I had no family suport as my parents were not around , and have no brothers or sisters...but I had good friends who helped me out with the kids when I was away in the military at some locations overseas....

Gold Member

Post Number: 7803
My son is 6 and my girl is 4. He just finished kindergarten. My ex and I swap them on weekends, two weekends she'll have both and two weekends I'll have both.

I'm fortunate that we decided to leave the lawyers out of the mix. Most in my position face a much more difficult task. Since she was the one who left she wasn't about to pull any punches. She just wanted a clean and fast getaway. Later I find out she's run from every relationship and continues to do so. She's a good mother so I didn't fight the custody of our girl. When our kids are together they are almost uncontrollable lol, and when they grow up I hope they're as close as I am with my own sis.

50% of marriages end in divorce, a fact I never thought would come up in ours. But that's how life throws it at you. I've been trying to make chicken salad out of the the chicken sh1t I've been served.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10088
"50% of marriages end in divorce, a fact I never thought would come up in ours. But that's how life throws it at you. I've been trying to make chicken salad out of the the chicken sh1t I've been served."

Nobody EVER thinks its gonna happen to them...thats what we all do when getting thru a divorce and trying to reestablish some normalcy and stability in our lives, "make chicken salad"...in my case I was happy with peanut butter and jelly, couldn't afford chicken then....LOL...U roll with the punches, and then u look back at it and laugh, cause things do get much better and U can hold your head up for being the best dad U could..too many cut and run, and nowadays many women are doing that with their children..and women have been doing that to their husbands for years...lol...screw em, run far far away from me please...I prefer to rent them (and NOT hoo*kers) at the local bar or wherever for the 1 nite stand or quicker...its less damaging financially and mentally, and women can also be VERY annoying ... Once u put your hand in that fire once and get burned, if your smart, U don't do it again...lol... I love my women, but not longer than 1 nite...I'm a baseball guy who loves the "hit and run"...and a fisherman, who wants ALL the fish in the sea..lol

BTW...when do u ever work?...LMAO...U're here as much as me...LOL...I am waiting for a bud now to go fishing, so I have an excuse for being here now...LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 7804
I've been on vacation. I wasn't happy with where I worked so I put out some feelers and found a much better place without the stress. I start on the 25th. I went 14 months without a vac and asked to take a day and was denied. That was it for me. I went to give my notice and they cut me loose on the spot. So I'm taking the time I deserve now so to speak lol.

Taking my boy to see Shrek the third @ 12:30. He's excited, won't stop asking me what time it is....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10090
Good for you..I've had MANY branch chiefs and supervisors (military and civilian) work for me who would always needlessly deny leave/vacation to guys and gals worker bees..and I always fired all their dumb azzes and upgraded someone with some common sense... people have other needs besides work, like FAMILY and a time out to releive some stress...quality of life issues are BIG , or at least with larger companies now...small companies can be great, but also too dependent...if a business cannot continue without somebody for 2 weeks, then somethings not right with that company/business...EVERYBODY is replaceable!...my last PT job, trac/trl driver hauling mail, was a small company who demanded too much and was a 1 way street...I walked away and gave them 10 seconds notice, even after that offered me an additional $7 ($30) an hour, actually paid by the mile but avg $30 hour)...LOL..screw those scumbag penny pinching 1 way companies...

good to see that u were in a position that u could walk away...and did find something hopefully better for ya and your son...ages 4-12 are the best times with kids, enjoy it now...cause U will lose your haor later...LOL...unless u are VERY fortunate, unlike most parents of teenagers..LOL

have a good day with him..going fishing now...later

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10093
Thunder and lightning...fishing was VERY quick...lol

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4707
i went fishing yesterday and caught a couple dolphin and a king.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7812
Haha, it rains down there every day doesn't it?

The place I left was a small family run truss plant when they hired me. Over the course of the next 4 years it doubled in size and naturally so did our work load. The problem is since it's family run, unless you're related, you don't get a break. It was expanding faster than their policies could develop. I got headaches and all stressed out while the other designers (the ones related) were outside throwing football or redecorating their office. ALL the sons and daughters run the place.

Well this worker ant got frustrated and burned out and just needed to step back. Sure I was in the middle of several large and complex projects, all of which seemed to always dodge the "family members" and come to me. When my request was denied I knew it wasn't going to get any better and I certainly wouldn't be given any opportunity for advancement. After all, the sons and daughters have kids of their own now. Where would I go?

So onto truss company B. Much larger (over 100 plants nationwide) in need of excactly what I do and tons of opportunities. Like a glove. Also only ten minutes from home. Young group of motivated guys/gals who like what they do who can benifit off what I can show them. I'm home.

The boy loved the movie. Wouldn't stay in his seat.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10100
Poured for 1 hour, then the sun came back out...we had NO rain from Christmas until a week ago..severe drought here...many brush fires of thousands of acres..in fact the 2nd largest US lake (lake okechobee) has been burning for weeks (silt from dry bottom at northern end)..

I love the SEVERE lightning and thunder storms, but NOT when golfing or not under cover (like in a fishing boat)...lol

matt...dolphin (mahi mahi) is my favorite eating fish...Reds, tarpon and snook are big fishing here, with many BIG tournaments on ESPN from here too..I see many manatee, and "flipper" dolphins everytime I go out...actually rode a manatee about 2 weeks ago for about 15 feet until I fell off (LOL)...loaded with em in this area..I'm right across the state from ya now..I once lived in Lake Worth many years ago, for a short time when I was 17, and was a lifeguard at the fancy private resort on the beach, who name I forget (Breakers or something like that)...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us