Router question

Gold Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1080
does anyone know if you can cut out a circle with a regualr router, not the plunge router. I think you can if you can cut a hole for the bit first to set the bit in, but i want to be certain first. I just found a router in my garage while cleaning it out and well want to make perfect circles instead of jigsaw (oops) circles.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 5377
You can buy circle jigs that attach to the router. If you're crafty you can make one. Find the center, attach the jig and go. Careful when you get to the end, just balance the router on the outside.

Upload

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1081
paul thanks but my main concern is can I do that with a regular fixed base router and not a plunge router???

Gold Member

Post Number: 5378
Like you said, drill a hole large enough for the bit to drop into. You wouldn't need a plunge router after that. Make sure the edge of the hole you drill is excactly the edge of the drawn circle. Depending on the jig you would get determines how it attaches to the router. I've seen them homemade using thin underlayment. You remove the bottom faceplate of the router and attach the jig to it using the same hole for the plate. You can simply drill a small hole and drop a nail at the proper distance through the jig piece into your workpiece. Make sure you drill a tight hole for the nail or you'll have wooble.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5379
Here's a homemade jig.

Upload

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1082
ok cool thanks man. I will go fashion something up and test it out later. i will get my results back on here sooner or later(prolly later though cuz I have to work) thanks again

Gold Member

Post Number: 5386
Upload

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 814
Thank God someone is doing it right. I can't even believe how many people take twenty minutes to cut a jagged semi-oval with a jigsaw around here

Gold Member

Post Number: 5390
Yeah, if they had control and patience along with a sharp blade it wouldn't happen. Too many ppl want it done yesterday though.

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1083
well its not that im bad at it with a jigsaw, but my jigsaw is old and slow. the results are good, just painfully slow. and since I got the router I want perfect circles without straining myself all the damn time ya know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5444
Bosch makes one of the best variable speed jig saws around. They come with a rotary speed dial that is very sensitive. With a sharp blade you can get excellent results. The setup time is so much quicker than the router but and if you're patient, either tool will work well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us