"Under Siege" (1992) a JBL THX late night showing

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4509
UploadUpload

Well I couldn't resist in running a very late night JBL THX showing of "Under Siege" (1992) I'm still impressed with the Dolby stereo 5.1, mix knocked my soaks off.

Split-surrounds use was played back with centre back surround and performed magical plenty of side surround usage with atmosphere sounds and directional voice sounds over intercoms practically when (Gary Busey) character "Cmdr. Krill" walks though the corridors there's a panned sound slightly on the right front and alongside the right sidewall surrounds.

Upload

I made a few audio compensations via lowering the LCR while boosting the LF in LCR and boosting the HF in the centre channel kept the action playing while maintaining clear dialogue intelligibility, Foley with hand to hand combat was handled with comfortable ease as "Casey Ryback" played by (Steven Seagal) disposes each bad guy with per-v-erted use of methods whether it be, explosives or cooking knifes.

Upload

LFE.1 supported the mix without overwhelming nor, bringing too much attention to itself was impacting during the helicopter explosion.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9949
Now all you need is HD big screen.

Is that in the works?

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4510
No I'm not interested the screens are far too small. A video projector is different kittle of fish entirely.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9962
Ooooooo I want a projector so bad. Gotta scrap together the funds tho first. I have the perfect wall for it too!

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4515
No that's where it's wrong. You need a good flat wall area to work with yes. Then you need to build a platform for the matching loudspeakers to rest on and then place the screen up covering the loudspeakers from view so that the sound becomes transparent with the image therefore making seem real.

You can go extra further by constructing a THX baffle wall and fit all the matching loudspeakers into it, making sure to absorb the inside of the THX baffle wall on the front wall and the front or rather the opposite side so that you have to parts absorbed.

Then you need to cover the front part with high frequency absorbent material to prevent reflections bouncing off the perforated screen and back onto the untreated surface where the sound will have a shape tinny sound. So there's a few parts that needs to be done. Its not rocket science its real easy.

Decide on what materials you want to use cinemas use plasterboard but you can use the same or use a thinner MFD. Cutting the holes for size of each loudspeaker and planning it for the wildest possible stereo separation needs close attention paid towards it. The loudspeakers should be placed around 1/3 of the screen height.

Sub bass is fitted below the centre channel in the same THX baffle wall.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9990
I'm thinking screen instead of wall. Projector would be about 12' from the screen. I'm hoping I can get a 6'-9' image size. Entry level projectors are under $1000 and I would be selling my Mitsubushi widescreen HD tv to offset the cost so it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe $500 out of pocket? It's my next step.

Username: Jblsince1989

Post Number: 2
Now this one still rocks the house plenty of cool action to go around.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15582
Too bad, Steven Seagal got fat and bald. I am surprised he still makes direct to DVD movies.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2215
­
The best thing about Executive Decision is that Seagal's character gets killed half way through the movie.
After that it's a great movie.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15612
LOL!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Http://www.rdaudio.net...

Post Number: 19755
yeah i never liked seagal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here