PCM SIGNALS

Username: Thomasmathai

Post Number: 1
I have connected the following units:-

My computer which has Nvidia GT - 610 graphic card which supports both Audio & Video signals is connected
via HDMI Cable from PC - graphic card HDMI OUT to my Yamaha - A V Receiver RX-V371 (AVR) HDMI IN.

My LG LCD TV is connected via HDMI cable from LCD TV - HDMI IN - 1 to AVR - HDMI OUT.

I have dual both displays.
1. Display on my LG LCD TV & dual displays both on my LG - Monitor & LG - LCD TV .

I hear my music from Itunes & Winamp - Pro.

PROBLEM : - My AVR always displays PCM format signal when ever I use my PC.

My sound card supports almost all the formats dts / true hd etc. my hardware chap & the Nvidia support partner company ASUS engineer are as lost as me & are clueless on why the AVR displays only PCM. A lot of RnD is being carried out & I m lil worried for my expensive system.

But while watching my television programs my AVR displays all the sound decoders but I know its analog form as my set top box does not have HDMI nor its digital. The same is with Tuner/Radio I get all the possible signals if the radio programs are relayed are digital but if anything thru the computer (PC)it reflect as PCM.

RnD done / solutions provided for the above problems but with not much help

1. The Yamaha technical person advised me to turn OFF the HDMI control feature on both the units viz the AVR & the LCD TV.
HDMI control on the AVR is now set to off & the Simplink feature on the LG LCD TV is also set to off.

2. My hardware chap & the Nvidia support partner company ASUS engineer both were at my residence yesterday tried out many options n media players.
- they deactivated my onboard audio as it might be interfering with the high end graphic card.
- they tried playing music files on cyberlink player ver 7, VLC player, winamp pro.

But no luck as I am not getting the digital surround sound. MY AVR always displays PCM when ever I play any music / Videos thru my PC.

THIS IS WHAT MY GRAPHIC CARD PROVIDES N ITS FEATURES.

http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce-gt-610-in.html#pdpContent=1

Any help appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Athena_

Post Number: 87
what windows OS system are you running?

have you updated newer drivers for your video and sound cards?

also try using K-lite codec
http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Do you know if your PC is a 32 or 64 bit?

make sure you get the right drivers for your ASUS motherboard too.

http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

I hope this helps

Username: Thomasmathai

Post Number: 2
Dear Doreen

My OS is windows 7 ultimate

PC is 32 BIT

Graphic - Nvidia 610 card drivers are updated.

Bronze Member
Username: Athena_

Post Number: 97
Thomas: I'm not to sure if this will help but read this link and maybe it will help you to set up things better for your issues

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

I've also found this

it's a C/P from another site but good info.

Decoder Off is displayed when the receiver is not actually receiving an audio bitstream from your playback device. When you are not playing anything, the screen should say decoder off. This is normal and not a fault.

PCM means that the receiver is being fed PCM audio, either stereo or multichannel (check how many speaker icons are lit on the display). PCM is a straight digital stream for each audio channel. You should only be seeing this if:

(1) you are playing a stereo source, say a CD, which is itself in PCM format (ie not Dolby Digital / DTS etc surround format) or

(2) if your playback device (eg dvd player, bluray player) is decoding the surround format (or worse downmixing it to stereo) and sending it on to your receiver as PCM. The only time this is desirable is if your receiver is an older one which, for example, cannot decode HD audio formats. You don't fall into that category, since your receiver can decode all current formats.

This means that one of the following is true:

(1) You have connected your playback device to the receiver with optical instead of HDMI cables. This will cause the receiver to be unable to receive any HD audio stream, as these can only be passed over HDMI; or

(2) As Animos said, you may have your bluray player set to decode the relevant surround format itself and output PCM instead of just passing the audio stream to the receiver unmolested. The player may have even had this set as default when you got it. If this is the case you need to go into the audio settings of your bluray player and set it to output the stream unchanged. What this involves varies by player so if in doubt, RTFM. Once this is done, when playing a disc you should see on your Yamaha display "DolbyDigital" for most DVDs (or "DTS" for DTS dvds), and either "DTS-HD Master Audio" or "Dolby TrueHD" for bluray movies. If you see one of these on your Yamaha's display then you know you have set your bluray player up correctly.

As to the 7-chan enhancer, this is one of many "fake surround" or "modified surround" formats the receiver can produce. It is rarely a good idea to use it with movies, unless they are very old ones with only a stereo soundtrack (in which case a Prologic 2 setting will actually give a centre and a single back surround channel to many movies otherwise only in stereo). Everything else will have a properly encoded surround audio track which should require no further processing to sound good and my guess is that you have a good receiver and have not even heard any of these soundtracks correctly yet, because you do not have your equipment setup properly (as above).

If you must have the 7-chan enhancer back, look for the buttons in the middle of the remote marked "surround-movie" or "surround-music". Play with them, each setting changes the way the audio is mixed. One of them will be your enhancer. To set things back to baseline, press "straight" (which is how it should be set 99% of the time).

one more link....
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156306

Just read through these and I hope there is something of use that will help you out.

Username: Angelishvero

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone I have a similar problem...
I have connected my PC to my Yamaha RX-V367 via HDMI and from the receiver to my Samsung TV via output hdmi.
Most of the time everything is fine and there is both video and audio with a pcm message on the receiver. But once in a while... And particularly often if the PC is in sleep mode, the audio doesn't work, there's a decoder off message on the receiver, digital output shows as the playback device.
It's happening even when the PC doesn't go to sleep now. The only thing to fix it so far is a restart to the PC.

I have Windows 7 ultimate, onboard Intel hd graphics 4600, Intel core i5-4440 CPU 3.10GHz 4 cores processor, Asus B85M-G.

Bronze Member
Username: Alkaloid

Medford, MA. U.S.

Post Number: 73
How about some more information. What version of HDMI? I didn't see the specs for the graphics card about the DAC. What about the BIOS settings, or the UEFI. 32 bit OS is going to limit the bandwidth, and memory usage. You can only have a maximum of 4Gb of memory with a 32 bit OS. Don't forget to disable the onboard graphics to use the graphics card. But I agree with Doreen that most of the time PCM is 2 channels. I have an Oppo blu ray and I can set it for Bitstream out or PCM, or LPCM. Double check what the output on the Blu ray is set at.

Bronze Member
Username: Alkaloid

Medford, MA. U.S.

Post Number: 74
What is the model of the sound card??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums