New Home Networking Design Questions

Bronze Member
Username: Yiotta

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 30
So, here is my current dilemma, we are living in a building on our property that we call the "guest house". We built it as part of our plan to move into it, tear down the original old house on the property and then build a new house. When done we would have a "guest house" and a new "main house".
Well, we are at the point of the new home construction that I need to get my cables pulled. Everything else is done and we are ready to put up insulation and wallboard, so now is the time.
The current infrastructure on the property is: DISH network on the guest house, Cable high speed modem running underground to the guest house. Linksys e4200 running hardwire or wireless to the guest house computers. The signal from this top of the line modem is weak 1-2 bars or nothing in the new house which is only a few hundred feet away, and that is before insulation and wallboard go up to further block the signal.
So my options are to actually move the cable modem to the new house (the underground wire is currently exposed in one location near the source pole) and then just let the signal flow via wireless to the guest house as there will only be people living their occasionally.
So my questions are:
1) Should I just move the hardwire cable run to the new house and hook up the e4200 modem there?
2) Is there some sort of wireless power repeater that would be easier so I could leave the current setup alone?
3) I am going to pull RG6 coaxial cable to the bedrooms, media room, computer room, office, kitchen, great room... just in case. Is this still necessary with so much going wireless.
4) I am going to pull LAN wire to those same locations, is this still necessary?
5) I am not planning on pulling fiber optic through the house as we are in a bit of a rural area along a dead end community of 5 acre lots, so I strongly doubt fiber will ever get out here, am I making a mistake by not pulling fiber?
Any other thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Username: Joellite

Markham, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
The best way to connect both building is wireless. You can do that without running wireless in the whole house.
None of the big companies run their whole network wireless.
Wired is still the most stable.
The costs have come down substantially for fiber.
I wired my pool cabana to my house with fiber.
The rest was cate5.
I contacted these guys: http://www.lextec.com/cab_fibre.html
At least then you can get what you need.
The cable does need to be buries in conduit or you can string it with an aerial outdoor fiber cable.
They do custom cables so they can make you what you need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us