Not so wireless keyboard powered by ac

Username: Wardy277

Post Number: 1
I have a cheap ebay wireless kayboard. i wanted a compact simple keyboard to use with my tv. I have setup an ubuntu powered XBMC HTPC.

I often play some games on it too, mainly minecraft. The problem is that the keyboard drains the 2x aaa batteries pretty quick when in heavy use while gaming. I think the keyboard is a bit fussy on power, as the batteries still work in other devices, and 1.2v rechargeable ones dont seem to work. So i guess that the batteries drain below 1.5v pretty quickly.

My main question is what is the safe way to power it by ac? I have been mucking around with it and have replaced the battery contacts with a spliced up USB cable, Now this is plugged into a laptop to simply test it and it works fine. It even works when the laptop is in suspend (so basically off - therefore needs not much power). This is not ideal especially if the laptop needs to be used else ware.

It is safe to splice up an old mobile phone charger. The back of the keyboard says 3v 4mA but the Phone charger is DC 5V 350mA. Is it safe to do this? Will the keyboard only draw what it needs or will it blow and render it useless? I thought that USB is 5V and 200mA. I am bit of an electricity noob,

Silver Member
Username: Djsmith

Post Number: 741
why not buy a Flexible Rubber Keyboard ( usb wireless) ?

http://www.sizlopedia.com/2007/07/04/5-flexible-rubber-keyboards-for-your-comput er/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us