WiFi network

Username: Ikep

Post Number: 2
I have a netgear wireless network in my house. I have a studio 200 feet away in a separate building. What equipment (antenna?) do I need to have wireless internet access in my remote location?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1152
that is a littel far. Most wi-fi work on line of site and close proximity. Have you found a solution for this yet? I am curious myself.

Silver Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 124
www.thinkgeek.com has a wifi dectetor, it won't double as an antenna, but it will let you know if it is a sufficent distance befor you put money into an antenna that you can't use.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 956
heres a site i found you guys may be intrested in for this problem

http://www.ivarun.com/2004/06/using-two-wireless-routers-to-set-up.html

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 129
Actually you can just increase your antenna size on your AP and receiving PC and that will do the trick. I find that Hyperlink 2.4 GHz Antennas with at least an 8dBi gain do the job VERY nicely. Make sure to use MAC address filtering and WEP encryption though. Even the WEP leaves the packet header and initialization vector untouched and the weak keys can still be cracked, it takes a LONG time though on a low traffic network (anything non-corporate really). For the recieving end id use a directional WLAN 2.4Ghz grid antenna (24dBi gain!!); And for broadcasting id use a good omnidirectional.

DontNo4Sure
Unregistered guest
Check out this site I am connecing two locations 1000 feet apart with the Linksys WRT54G routers and e-cantenna works great. http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php?sid=27f49a6d371c1922cf1c79f1dde3b015

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Yeah the cantenna is an old old trick; still can not beat a good grid directional with over 30dBi gain! I am not a fan of Linksys products myself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
For some good WLAN antennas and equipment check these guys out http://www.hyperlinktech.com/

DontNo4Sure
Unregistered guest
How far are you sending a signal with a 30dBi antenna and what type of equipment are you using.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
I don't shoot for distance, more along the line of signal reception strength at common distances; though I have used those directional grids for long rang packet capturing over id say 2,500 feet and could go much farther. For my car I use an Omnidirectional 8dBi gain 2.4 GHz antenna plugged into my Orinoco 802.11b/g gold card on my laptop; I have the antenna mounted for mobile wireless reception :-). I use Cisco, Netgear, Hyperlink, and Proxim equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1016
when you say mobile wireless reception how exactly do you mean that you use that? Do you use it in a fashion giving you the ability to use your mobile pc to connect to your home or business network? If so whats the useable range?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1017
check this site out too by the way guys

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Also check out the area no the bottom of the page on boosting your range with a satelite dish (10 miles my goodness)

"Juice Up" your Tin Cantenna with a surplus satellite dish

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
When I say mobile I mean having the firmware active AP scan in promiscuous mode picking up any AP that is not encrypted :-). The usable range varies on weather, obstructions, and AP broadcasting strength; but on average about 1,200 feet away from w/e building has the typical standard AP. (corporate APs allow a MUCH farther distance).

mememememememe
Unregistered guest
any idea what range you can get with a cantenna? i need to set up a p2p network with a neighbor 100 yards away

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
Range varies on many many things, it's to hard to say really just to many variables. Id save some money and go with a high gain directional.

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 14
you could also just use a repeater. i believe linksys offers one, and im a huge fan of them. there products always work well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
I dislike linksys immensely their products are cheaply built and firmware is vulnerable to WAN packet interception. A grid antenna will work fine and look cool :-)!

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 17
there not any more vulnerable to packet interception than anyone else. And they aren't cheaply built. There one of the most reconized network producers. I use them in all networking needs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
LOL Actually Linksys has a severe DHCP problem responding to non-legit BOOTP packets resulting in administrator PW return and granting malicious WAN users full node packet sniffing abilities for traffic in progress TO AND FROM it. My experience also with them is that they do not handle large significant bursts of traffic that well (firmware resets-DoS attack), they run hot, and I dislike their plastic shell (aluminum would be better for heat dissipation); being the most recognized doesn't mean crap really bro...

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
I mean windows is VERY recognized and yeah... that is another story :-)!

Username: Audiobeginner

Post Number: 1
May I ask another aspect of WiFi?

Can I reinstall my home theater using it without the spaghetti mess behind the equipment? I am moving a piece of furniture, and the wires are all too short...

a computer will be tied in only if it is essential to control the network, otherwise it is an isolated system.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
I don't quite understand what your goal is, can you elaborate further? Sorry :-)

Username: Audiobeginner

I have TV,Cable hookup, Tivo, Bose home theater, and Mitsubishi DVD set up in my den. They are currently awkwardly aligned, on adjacent furniture pieces. The TV is massive in weight,and the cords are standard short segments supplied by the manufacturers.

Moving the Bose control unit and DVD to a lower shelf below the TV is a daunting task since I cannot easily pivot the recessed TV to realign the cords. The dream thought was use of a lan controller vs. Wi Fi to connect everything.

please note I am a neophyte in this topic

Username: Starwiseman

Stuart, Fl

Hi! My HP laptop has 802.11b/g WLAN. I'm stuck in a cheap downtown hotel for a while & can only get a "very low" linksys signal from some "open access" network. The thru-put varies from good to dead. What low-cost stuff will help me connect better & "hacker-safer"? WLAN directional antenna? Antenna & amplifier? Vulcan mindlink?

AND also "hyperlinktech.com" won't sell small orders direct--so who to buy from?

Thanks for any help!! :-D

Unregistered guest
hey guys... i have purchased an onkyo surround sound receiver... it has an ethernet connection to stream music from my computer or the internet to home theatre... i have a linksys wrt54gs wireless router...what would i need at the receiver to connect to home wireless network? an access point? please help... thx in advance.heres web site for receiver:
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR801&class=Receiver&p=i

Maureen
Unregistered guest
Have a Belkin router. Using wireless laptop. Connects for an hour and then drops signal. When I change the channel it will start again and then drop connection again in about 45 mins. This cycle continues and continues. Any suggestions? Not much of a geek so need it in english.

Username: Victors90210

Wireless is the Way 2 Go!! I want to intall a wireless conectiviy for my 3 pentium III's in hyderabad. What best equipment should I start with and How do I go about it??

Anonymous

Damien:

you seem very knowledgable on wireless networks and antenna boosters.

First do your antenna work for both WiFi and wireless PC card (like verizon). I suspect they might work off of different frequencies, but I'm not sure.

Also, I have a condo in a vacation stop and can't justify buying cable since we only go up there once a month.

I've driven around the neighborhood and within 1/4-1/2 there are a number of open wireless sites. One is 58mb....not sure if your solutions could bridge such a gap? The lucent
antenna price isn't an issue if this is the best way to go, but i'd like you option.

i'm thinking it might be best to buy the lucent antenna and see how it works....if it doesn't I can always return it. Are there any other manufactured antennas that you recommend?

Thanks

Peter

Anonymous

Damien:

you seem very knowledgable on wireless networks and antenna boosters.

First do your antenna work for both WiFi and wireless PC card (like verizon). I suspect they might work off of different frequencies, but I'm not sure.

Also, I have a condo in a vacation stop and can't justify buying cable since we only go up there once a month.

I've driven around the neighborhood and within 1/4-1/2 mile there are a number of open wireless sites. One is 58mb....not sure if your solutions could bridge such a gap? The lucent
antenna price isn't an issue if this is the best way to go, but i'd like you option.

i'm thinking it might be best to buy the lucent antenna and see how it works....if it doesn't I can always return it. Are there any other manufactured antennas that you recommend?

Thanks

Peter

Username: Html

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

continuing the discusion re multple wireless router.....I have moved into a massive home that has a pretty good wired network setup throughout.

The modem is connected to our #1 router and from there we have two cables running to two other wireless routers for the other floors.

All routers are connected to 'WAN' and wep enabled.

The system works pretty well accept the occassional loss of connection which requires a routers restart, usually the slave is unaffected.

Are there any suggestions I could try to stop the occasional connection issues?

PS even an N router was unable to penatrate this old house. I think the floors are made out of lead!!

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Tennessee

Post Number: 567
There is a big difference in "router" and "access point". I would use access points. They r cheaper too. If u must use routers, make SURE DHCP is off on all except the #1 router. Cant have 2 DHCP servers. Access points arent AS quirky as routers.

Username: Html

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

thanks for your input dantetn,
with your suggestion I was able to connect to the new access point, however no broadband connection was available. Is there yet another setting needed to allow DHCP to be off and have a working connection?

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Tennessee

Post Number: 582
What ip address are u getting.
type "ipconfig" at a command prompt in DOS.
will say 192.168.0.100 or something like that.
If it says 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ur dhcp server isnt working.

Username: Sharilewis

Actually you can just increase your antenna size on your AP and receiving PC and that will do the trick. I find that Hyperlink 2.4 GHz Antennas with at least an 8dBi gain do the job VERY nicely. Make sure to use MAC address filtering and WEP encryption though.

http://www.allbatterypros.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us