Update my PC or start fresh?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2319
Note- I know very little about computers, so please bare with me on this.

My current computer is a Compaq Evo.
Processor - 2.4ghz pentium 4 (single core?)
Ram - 2 512mb ddr (computer only shows 1g though?)
Hard drive- 20gb WD (caviar I believe)
Graphics - ATI Radeon x1300 pro
OS - Windows xp pro

The only games I play are usually emulators, like N64 games. I want to make my computer fast enough to play PS2 and maybe xbox games. Is my computer worth even putting any money into? or would I be better off starting scratch?

As far as playing emulators, I am getting a second xbox360, would I be better off just modding that to play emus as to using a pc?

Also, I need a sound card, so I can run input to my plate amp, TV and capture card. Anyone recommend a budget sound card (best bang for buck).

Bronze Member
Username: Samdemler

Post Number: 12
I would say if you want to play games on the computer, build a brand new computer. Otherwise just stick to your 360 or ps3. You can build a brand new super computer for around $700

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2321
That's what I was figuring. I think I'll just stick with modding a 360, it looks to be much cheaper than building a computer.

Username: Peter_benders

Sandiego, CA US

Post Number: 7
so i too have a very old configured computer what do u suggest? should i upgrade it or buy a new one? but i think that up grading the system is cheap as i do not have to replace many parts like monitors etc..

Bronze Member
Username: Samdemler

Post Number: 20
It all depends on what you are looking for out of your rig.. Lets start with your current motherboard.. what do you got, and what is all currently on it? What do you want to use your computer for? Pics, Games, Movies, Storage? All four?

Bronze Member
Username: Kngsze

Post Number: 23
PC games are already starting to take advantage of multi-cored CPUs. Soon all/most PC games will be the same and so you will really struggle to run them on old, single core machines. Also, how many good graphics cards are left that can run modern games and are old PCI (not the newer PCI-E)?

But essentail, yes, is does depend on what you are after

Username: Eatisa

Post Number: 10
i would suggest you to invest a little more and make this existing PC a little more adaptable for gaming, why to waste $700 on getting a new one?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us