Dead HP

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 524
Any ideas about what I should be looking for with the very simple symptoms of a green LED on the PS but absolutely nothing else?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8993
By "Dead HP" what do you mean? You hit the power button and it does nothing? Does it turn on and run? I need a bit more information to figure out what the problem at hand is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 540
Exactly, nothing happens, no lights (other than a constant green on the Power Supply), no sounds, no action.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8995
Well, my first guess would be that your motherboard is shorted out. It could be a bad switch too. Are you sure the board does nothing when you hit the power button? Do any fans turn on or anything? Sometimes a shorted out video card/dead can cause the symptoms you're having. Even dead ram, there's lots of reasons it could be doing what it's doing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
The switch would make perfect sense except how common is it that a switch fails?
There are definitely no fans and the disc drives are not turning. When I get back to this little project I will r&r the RAM chip set. If nothing I will then try removing the video card. Am I correct in thinking this might at least change something? I understand that if the RAM is completely toast it won't but hopefully thi sis worth a try?!?!?!?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8997
It's all worth a try. I go through the process of elimination. I start by going with the easiest fix first. If the switch doesn't seem like it's working pull the cable header off the board and get yourself a paperclip or something that will conduct electricity and jump the pins to turn on the system. If that doesn't work I'd try changing out the ram if you some extra laying around. After that I'd try the video card. You would think that if the video card was dead that the CPU fan would still run but I've had them short and nothing worked at all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
News I can use! thank you, I will let you know what I find out!

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8999
Alright, sounds good and don't forget to use a wrist grounding strap or some anti static gloves.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us