Sounds Card to Amp cableing

Username: Freestylepsycho

Post Number: 5
Hi,

I have a PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, sound card and this splits the output in to 3 separate signals, 1 for the 2 front speakers, 1 for the back left and right and one for the other speakers and the sub.

What I am trying to do is get the first 2 which is the front 2 speakers and the back 2 and attach them to one RCA port on the amplifier.

To do this I think I am going to have to get 2x 3.5mm to 2 RCA male adapter then attach them to 2x 2 RCA female to 1 RCA male adapter and then attach that to the amp.

However I think this will merge the signals meaning there is only left and right, rather than left, right, back and front, Can anyone confirm that for me.
Or will it keep the signals separate?

Also can anyone thing of an easier way to do it?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1755
What's your receiver?

Post Number: 6
I don't have one and I really don't see the point in getting one.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1770
What's the amp then? The reason I asked for the receiver is because if it has multichannel inputs you can just run mini plug to RCA cables to the back 5.1 inputs.

So what's the amp?

Post Number: 7
It's a NAD 3130, which will run the rear speakers and then use the preout to attach to a power amp and run the front 2.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1776
It will merge the signals. Why can't you just separately run the signals to each amp?

Post Number: 8
I can, but it will mean that I can't run multiple sources into the NAD amp and then have both set of speakers playing the source.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1778
I guess you'd have to set the sound card to 2 channel and run it as 2-channel if you wanted to do that...then it's bye to surround.

Post Number: 9
Ok, I have been thinking and it has just confused me.

I can see how a receiver would solve the problem of the surround sound as each of the speaker would be going out of a designated channel, but surely you can only connect one source to each channel so how do you have multiple things using the same surround sound system, as if you attach them via a preamp then it will merge the signals and if you attach them to the receiver you will have to attach the 2 signals to one RCA port and therefore they will be merged in the process.

And if you have a receiver with multiple channels you will only be able to run 1 channel at a time and therefore it will only play one of the sources (left and right or left back and right back) across 4 speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Andreas

Post Number: 24
some audigy cards had 4-pole not 3-pole jacks.
If I remember correctly -

green: front L, front R, ground
black : rear L, rear R, side L ground
orange: center, sub, side R, ground

I mean if this is 7.1 card and it has 3 not for outs then 2 out of 3 have to convey 3 signals + ground not just 2.

Unless you plan to have 7.1 you do not need special cables, but you need to know which out is for what channels...

Check Creative knowledgebase, it must be covered there. Hope this helps, even if it is confusing at first ;)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us