Going MAD trying to find a VISTA driver for a GeForce4 440 Go!

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 879
I made the mistake of upgrading my Compaq R3240US laptop to VISTA 32-Bit and have been going MAD trying to find an adequate driver. Vista only recognizes my Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go! 64M driver as a standard VGA adapter.

The crazy part is that I had downloaded a working driver, but lost it when I loaded the 64-Bit version of Vista. I reverted back to the 32-Bit version because I couldn't find a 64-Bit driver for my video adapter! Now I can't find the original one I downloaded! HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 410
I'm not seeing much on the net to help you... Some sites say it is natively supported, some say to try the XP driver, but nobody seems to have a Vista specific driver running around for your graphics chipset.

Dare I ask what made you decide to upgrade to Vista?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 880
The R3240US has a AMD Athlon 64, I wanted to see what Vista 64-Bit could do with it. Pretty dumb in hind-sight.

I had a working Vista 32-bit driver, but I can't find the damn thing now, it is maddening!

Microsoft has truly shot themselves in the foot with this OS debacle. It really is like those Apple commercials. I am fairly certain my next computer will be an Apple (...but Al Gore is on their Board of Directors? I can't knowingly line his pockets? Decisions Decisions???).

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 881
I'm going to try to download an XP driver, I'll let you know if it works.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 411
I like Apple's "security guy" commercial.

"You're coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?"

I'm making the decision between Mac and PC myself for a laptop round about Christmas. The only thing that really holds me back is that I am so accustomed to XP and have bent it to my will so it works pretty well. Of course Vista will change all that, so I might well jump off the MS boat.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 882
I'll tell what is a "sad realization", it's that Microsoft has, for whatever strange twist of fate, a 90% strangle-hold on the OS marketplace, and subsequently, it cannot be allowed to whither on the vine.

Perhaps there's more than meets the eye, but Vista is nothing more that a resource gouging, battery killing (50% less than XP by my estimate), skin. There are NO functional improvements over XP Media Edition, period.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 413
I'll say this much: My PC is about five years old now, and has run flawlessly since I built it. I hand selected each individual part, freshly installed 98 (and later XP), and meticulously maintained it. It runs better than most (if not all) of the machines here at work once employees have been using them for a few months (and this is even with me taking a few hours to uninstall all the crap Dell puts on them, and fine tune them a bit for performance). On the other hand, my girlfriend's Mac is every bit as seamless (if not more so in some aspects), except that it requires 0 maintenance from me (which I'll admit bugs me that there is nothing to tweak/fool with).

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 414
As far as Vista, I can't say I'm impressed by what I've seen and heard with what MS has been doing for the last 5 years or so.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 883
Eureka!

After installing EVERY conceivable driver from every last source, I stumbled across a driver that works with Vista 32-Bit!

Geforce4 440 Go 64M
Video BIOS version: 4.17.20.49.25

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 417
Where did you get it from, out of curiosity?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 884
ForceWare 72.30

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/nvidia.htm

Username: Plaggie

Post Number: 1
Works like a charm.

These are Windows XP Drivers to boot!!!

I've been searching forever as well.

ForceWare 72.30

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/nvidia.htm

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 899
Glad to be of service.

This whole Vista conversion has been a train-wreck. Vista is a resource hog.

How is it Microsoft Movie Maker 2 works with a 64MB card on XP and it doesn't with Vista?

I am more convinced than ever that I will abandon Windows, whether it's going to be Linux or even Apple, I'm not sure.

Username: Terry5051

Napoleon, MI USA

Post Number: 2
vista won't recognize my card ether it is a ATI radeon x1650 pro I want to use it to run my pc from my Philips HDTV and the card has not worked since I put it in I thought it was the card so I took it back and got another but it still is not working

Bronze Member
Username: Slntdeath

Post Number: 15
Terry, Try Installing the latest drivers for Windows Vista.
The following links are for the Radeon X1650 Series.
Windows Vista(32 bit) https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/7-6_vista32_dd_ccc_w dm_enu_48645.exe

Windows Vista (64 bit)
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/7-6_vista64_dd_ccc_w dm_enu_48645.exe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us