Getting signal from neighbor! can i make it stronger?

Bronze Member
Username: Noob_with_an_rs

Post Number: 19
hey guys here's the deal: we're stuck without internet for the next week and my brother is getting a wireless signal from our neighbor. Now my brother's room AND window is on the same side of the neighbor's house. so basically his room is the room closest to the neighbor's. he gets three green bars of signal from his laptop. My room is the next room over from his. So my room is one room away from the neighbor's. On my computer I get NO SIGNAL from the same wireless point. Is there a way to get my signal stronger somehow besides relocating the computer??? or is there anything i can do from my brother's computer to get a connection since he's getting one? we've got a microsoft router and another linksys router. we were using the linksys when our internet was up.

Bronze Member
Username: Cugine

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 36
Option 1:

Which linksys do you have? If you have the WRT54G you can set it up to run in "client" mode. Client Mode means the WRT54G serves as a bridge between a PC attached to it and the main wireless router. This option is a bit tricky and unless you somewhat tech-savvy I wouldn't attempt it.

The Microsoft Router may support "client" mode out of the box without needing to install new software. You may want to investigate that option first.

You can find exact details on how to do that here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=1513386

Option 2:

Add a wireless repeater

Wireless repeaters extend your wireless network range without requiring you to add any wiring. Just place the wireless repeater halfway between your wireless access point and your computer, and you'll get an instant boost to your wireless signal strength.

Option 3:

Change your neighbors wireless channel :-) (I don't condone this but I am throwing it out there)

Wireless routers can broadcast on several different channels, similar to the way radio stations use different channels. In the United States and Canada, these channels are 1, 6, and 11. Just like you'll sometimes hear interference on one radio station while another is perfectly clear, sometimes one wireless channel is clearer than others. Try changing your wireless router's channel through your router's configuration page to see if your signal strength improves. You don't need to change your computer's configuration, because it'll automatically detect the new channel.

Option 4:

Purchase a High Gain Antenna for your Wireless Adapter.

The antennas supplied with your router are designed to be omni-directional, meaning they broadcast in all directions around the router. If your router is near an outside wall, half of the wireless signals will be sent outside your home, and much of your router's power will be wasted. Most routers don't allow you to increase the power output, but you can make better use of the power. Upgrade to a hi-gain antenna that focuses the wireless signals only one direction. You can aim the signal in the direction you need it most.

Option 5:

Connecting two pc's using a cross-over cable and setting up one as an internet gateway

Assuming that both you and your brothers PC has a wireless and wired network card you can connect the two using a crossover ethernet cable. You can't use a straight-thru ethernet cable. Anyway, once they are connected you can setup your brothers pc as the gateway and use his internet connection. I'm not gonna step through configuration details here but you can google it and find loads of information.

Good luck!
Danny
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us