Which DVI cable do I need

Username: Dan27

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone.
I just purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 931B LCD Monitor and want to get a DVI cable with it. I am a complete noob when it comes to these things and have no idea which one to get. I see a 15pin, 19pin and 24pin DVI Cables. For this monitor it says Port Connectors: VGA 15-pin D-Sub; DVI-D. Does that mean I need a 15pin DVI cable? Single or Dual Link?

Also does it matter which one I get, for example, buying one for cheap on eBay? Let me know! Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 85
First off, what your monitor has is only half the problem, what does your video card have? If your monitor is similar to mine (930b) then it has two sets of connectors, both vga (rectangular but wider on one side than the other and usually blue) and Dvi (a bit longer connector with a triangle shape at one end to insure proper lineup). Most monitors in this price range come with both so any video card will work, but you get the best results with Dvi (digital) as compaired to Vga (analog). So as long as your video card has a Dvi connector you want a 24pin Dvi cord. Try to keep the cord length in check as the longer the cord the more likely you will have slow response on the monitor. 6 foot or under, preferably under.

Username: Dan27

Post Number: 2
I have the 931B. Thanks for getting back to me, except I bought a 6ft 19pin Single Link DVI-D cable. Is there any difference between a single link 19pin and dual link 24pin?

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 97
If it fits use it, All I did was count the holes on a video card to get the 24 pin suggestion, I didn't have a cable loose to look at.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us