Ahhhhhh

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3066
that is what i am wanting to do. i have the internet downstairs, and i want to get internet upstairs...

My downstairs is Windows XP, and my upstairs is ME

i have a linksys WRT54GS router, currently set-up on my downstairs computer,

and today, connected a cat5 ethernat cable from the router, to my upstairs ethernet port (i am pretty sure it's a ethernet port, because it fits nicely and clicks, it is a old IBM computer tho, like 1998 or somthing..)

i want to connect my upstairs computer to the internet... i dont know how to do this, i went to home networking etc etc on my upstairs comptuer, and it says it cant find any network adapters.

what am i supposed to do?????

it would be very nice if you could give me some steps :-) i am sure this question gets asked alot, but i want to make sure i get this right because its not working out, and i have been trying to for an hour..

thanks,

bass

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10046
Go here bassman

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsME/using/homenetworking/articles/firststeps.asp

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3067
thanks.

but didnt help, :-(

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4187
Right click 'My Computer' click properties, then go to the Device Manager under the Hardware tab. Make sure there aren't any yellow exclamation points ANYWHERE.

Click on the plus sign next to 'network adaptors' and post all of the devices mentioned.

Also, are there any LEDs lighting up where you plugged in the ethernet cable on the back?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3069
no explanation marks anywhere

under 'network adapter' -- realtek RTL8029(AS)PCI ethernet adapter

thats all it says, my router should be set up though because its on, and i went through all of the steps on the install CD, and i can access the internet, with it connected on so...

and on my upstairs comp, and downstairs, there is LED lights (green)

you prolly remeber me talking about if i have a ethernet port on my upstairs comp, and i pluged it in there, and i was thinking if my upstairs comp has a ethernet card.. would that make a diff???

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3070
my upstairs computer only has a PCI dial-up card.. would it be because i dont have a ethernet card, even though i think i have a ethernet port?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3071
and also, on my upstairs comp, there is an explanation point on "PCI ethernet controller"

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4201
On the upstairs comp, is that the one that has the "realtek RTL8029(AS)PCI ethernet adapter " in the device manager?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3080
nope. thats the one i am on right now

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3081
my upstairs shows:

under device manager:

"dial-up adapter" ------ and thats all

then under

other devices

"PCI ethernet controller" -- with an explanation point next to it

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4204
There's the problem! :-)

You need to get the driver for your ethernet card on the upstairs computer. Try to do it manually by double-clicking "PCI ethernet controller" then click on the 'driver' tab.

First, try updating the driver, if that doesn't work, roll back the driver.

And finally, if those don't work, uninstall the driver, restart the computer, and you should get a message prompt asking to search for the correct driver(hopefully it should find it).

If none of that works, then you'll probably have to open up the computer case and get the model and brand of the ethernet card, that way we can research it on the internet and get the correct driver installed manually.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3085
it says its already uninstalled

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3086
it says

device status

The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28.) to reinstall the drivers, click "reinstall driver"

i do that..

"windows was unable to locate the software for this device"

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4211
That's (ironically) probably because you don't have an internet connection to it, so it can't search the internet for the correct driver. :P

Looks like you're going to have to take the case off and get the model and brand of the ethernet card so we can search the internet for the driver, then install it manually.

By the way, what time is it where you are?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3097
like 12:40

but are you positive that i need a ethernet card?

and i have no clue how to take the cover off and do all that

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3098
cause i dont want to buy one and then still have no connection, and wonder if i really needed that..

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4212
You don't need an ethernet card, I mean, it's already in there, the computer just isn't recognizing it...you basically just need to install the correct driver and it should be working fine.

Once you find the correct driver (using the net on the working computer) you can just burn it to a disc or transfer it to the upstairs computer via USB jump drive (if you have one).

Next step is to open up the case and get the brand and model off the card...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3104
USB jump drive???? wtf

would this just be temporary?

and how do you know i have one in my computer? because of the PCI ethernet controller?

thanks man,

just tryin to get this right -- any good websites on romoving the cover, and what this thing looks like that i'm tryin to find?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3105
answer those questions ^^^

and a computer tech guy said this...

Good, the adapter is there.
Somewhere is the model of your IBM.
Google "IBM Model Number ethernet adapter driver"

Expand the driver on your hard disk if ZIP or someother archive format. Then return to Device Manager, right-click the PCI ethernet adapter, Update Driver, and point at the expanded downloaded files for the adapter.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3106
i have no clue how to do any of that :-(

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4213
Yeah, I'm pretty sure what he just said was a bunch of technical jargon.

Does your downstairs computer have a CD burner? If it does, then we won't get into a USB jump drive, but a USB jump drive is this: http://cins.colstate.edu/images/jumpdrive.jpg

To open the case, the left panel comes off (if the CD rom bay is facing you). Just turn it around, and there should be two or three screws holding it on is all, unscrew them and slide the side off, it's really easy. Then, grab a flashlight and shine it on the card that you have the ethernet cable hooked up to and see if you can find a brand and model anywhere (it could be on the top or bottom). You might even need to remove the card to get a clear view of the brand and model.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4214
Hey, I'm going to get some sleep now, I'll talk to you tomorrow if someone hasn't helped you figure this out by then.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10058
and make sure that there is absolutely no power connected to the PC when the cover is off.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3107
thanks platnium member :-)

i will make sure though.

and my downstairs computer does have a cd burner, i burn cd's all the time

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10059
First as Jexx wrote, find out the type of NIC(Network Interface Card) card you have in the PC. Go to the PC downstairs and use a search engine to look for the drivers.

Once you find them, download to your PC and then burn it to a disk. A regular floppy disk (if you have an A: Drive) should be enough to handle the drivers.

Once you have the drivers you can run it on your PC upstairs when you are prompted to load the drivers.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3113
ok. i was talking to this guy on www.computerforum.com

and he said i wont have to open the case of my computer to find it... so i looked on the back of my computer, and in black typing it shows

IBM

machine type = 2153

model number = E3U

i dont know if these are right???? or do i have to open the casing?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3122
a guy gave me this

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?doccategoryind=121172&temp late=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&brandind=11&famil yind=50004&machineind=0&modelind=0&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&operatingsys temind=121210&validate=true

and says its an IBM APTIVA 2153-E3U

i dont know where to search on that page, and what to put in the drop-down lists??

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3129
under the drop-down lists, do i put my computer upstairs or my one that i am using right now!!

and i cant find any of the software or whatever...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4234
Use the computer upstairs for all of this.

The downstairs computer is working fine and doesn't need to be touched anymore to get the net working on the upstairs comp.:-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4235
Except of course, since the downstairs computer has internet, you'll have to search the net to download the correct driver, burn it to CD, and that's it for the downstairs.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3131
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIG R-4MSPPT

this is the one he gave me...

so i downloaded it to a floppy, brought it to my computer upstairs, and then went to 3 1/2 floppy A, and it didnt show up.. grrr

i put it in my downstairs one, and it showed up there..

so do i need to reformat it or somthin?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3132
i wrote it to a cd, and it was sucessfully put on my upstairs comp, i dont think it was the right one to download though...

cause i went to properties on mu computer, and it still has the yellow mark.......

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3133
answer!! haha

looked at my ethernet card, and at the end of it, it says:

Oasis 03V-0

then below that,,, (dont know if this means anything)

021 2

what do i do?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4238
Okay cool, so you have the general idea of what needs to be done.

Have you tried restarting the computer since you installed the new driver?

Get back to this:

quote:

device status

The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28.) to reinstall the drivers, click "reinstall driver"

i do that..

"windows was unable to locate the software for this device"

And when it asks where you want to search for the driver, select the CD drive (with the driver burned on CD in the CD bay), the click next and see if that works.

If none of that works, it could very well be the wrong driver...at which point I still think it would be a good idea to pop the case off and check it out.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4239
Didn't see your last post as I was busy typing up my last one, heh.

I googled "Oasis 03V-0" and couldn't find anything, where did it say that?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3134
ON the card. but i dont think thats it...

omg, i dont know why i cant find a driver for it!!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3135
wait..

i turned it over, and it says:

Netgear

FA311 REV - C1

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4241
Awesome, that's it!

http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/beos/experimental/r5/drivers/net/

One of the .zip files at the bottom of the page should work, I believe they're all drivers, and according to: http://www.bedrivers.com/hardware/info.php?product=210&category=29&sub=34

One of them should work!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3136
on that page i am looking for netgear or somthin (because thats the model) and i cant find it...

how do you know these are the correct dirvers to install?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4243
In the second link, the person claims they should work.

It won't damage anything. I say download all of them, burn them all to CD, then try installing each one at a time and seeing if you can get one that works.

If they don't, at least you know what driver you need. I searched all around Google and couldn't find any other sources for the driver (those that did have it had broken links or were just too outdated to follow up on to get the driver).

Post a new thread in the desktop section asking for a driver for a 'Netgear FA311 REV-C1" and hopefully someone should have better info than I do. Google is usually what I use, but I know there are driver databases out there...I'll keep looking for the driver in the meantime if the above don't work.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4244
Or just ask for the driver on techsupportforums or the computerforums (sorry, forgot the exact URLs, but I know you know them haha). Those guys are great like you've said, and they should be able to find the driver now that you know what you're looking for.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3137
HAHAHAHAHAH.

jexx, guess what computer i am using right now!! hahaha.

the guy on the tech supportforum gave me a great link to a driver that worked :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

:-) :-) :-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4255
Awesome!! I'm way glad you didn't have to go through the tedious and likely vain process of having to try those drivers!

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3138
yea.

thanks for all your help jexx, really :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us