Widescreen monitor=letterboxed movies

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2980
Why are 1.85:1 DVDs letterboxed on a widescreen monitor? What's the point to widescreen if movies are still letterboxed? I can make it fit the screen, but I lose the sides. 1.85:1 and 16:9 should be the same thing.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10215
Because not all widescreen is made the same. I wish there is one standard, unfortunately there isn't.

But to point at your statement...1.85:1 is not 16:9. To fill a 16x9 widescreen you need film that has been shot at 1.78:1 ratio.

here's some reading that may shed some light:

http://www.widescreen.org/faq.shtml

http://www.high-techproductions.com/widescreen.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 86
If your producing these dvd's your self, the app your using maybe setting the Pan&Scan/Letterbox in the Vob incorrectly for widescreen tv. To play around and see what works best try IfoEdit. When you get a dvd to the vob stage prior to making an iso start Ifoedit and point it to the VTS folder and open, converted dvd's usually will show only two files. Open each and look at any line that says 16x9 ignore the ones that mention menu or are 4x3. Double click the line to open the editor where you can change the letterbox and pan&scan settings. For me if I use Avi2Dvd to make a widescreen dvd from avi, I have to go in and uncheck Pan&scan or the picture will go off screen to the sides on my regular tv. For you it maybe the opposite or try unchecking letterbox and see what happens. If you use rw's for testing you can find out what works best for your tv. If your talking about Store bought dvd then perhaps the anamorphic Widescreen is causing your problem since anamorphic just simulates a wide screen picture (I think).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us