Hard Drive FW400 ports not working. Please help! [Desperate]

Username: Tdotrap

Post Number: 1
In April, I purchased a LaCie D2 Hard Drive with triple interface [USB, FW400, FW800]. When I bought it, the FW400 port was not working, so I took it to the company and told it was repaired. Now with my new computer, with a FW400 outlet, the drive still does not work. A message pops up saying "I/O device error." I took it to the company again to have it repaired and they just called me saying that nothing was wrong with it after testing it on their PCs. When I recieve it, and the message pops up again, what do you advise me to do. The company told me to buy a PCI card, which is a total waste of money cuz I purchased the drive to be fully functional. Please help me with any answers you can give. E-mail me as well at: the_mule_777@hotmail.com

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8428
Try it on another PC. If it works, then your PC is the problem. The LaCie is a plug and play device so your PC should recognize it immediately. What is your OS?

Post Number: 2
Even with a brand new PC, the FW ports are not working? The computer detects the unit, but the message still pops up. I deleted the parition of the external hard drive, but when I re-format it through the FW400 port, it will say "Format could not be successfully completed." It works very well with the USB, but I paid to have the entire thing work. The OS is WindowsXp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8448
A brand new PC is no guarantee that it will work properly.

Now why did you feel it was necessary to re-format the drive?

Post Number: 3
I felt it was necessary to re-format the drive to see if the FW ports would still work. I formatted it through the USB, though. LaCie told me to buy a PCI card from their company. Is it a guarantee that the hard drive will work through that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8513
Only if they can guarantee that it will work. I am curious why you would need a PCI.

Post Number: 4
I e-mailed the company, they said it's a guarantee. Why wouldn't I need a PCI card?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8566
What do you need a PCI for? don't you have all the ports necessary on your PC?

Post Number: 5
I do have the ports, but a computer technician I know told me that a lot of PCs are finicky with hard drives. I told LaCie about it and they advised that I buy one.

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 46
You don't want a pci card. One of the reasons for using onboard firewire is its speed. If you use a pci card the speed of transfers will be limited by the pci bus speed and you will not benifit. If nothing else use the usb and if I were you I would return the drive since its obviously defective but they don't want to admit it.

Post Number: 6
The drive works perfectly fine with the FW at my school. And I took it to the company twice and they said that there is nothing left that they can do about it.

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 47
I personally have no reason to use firewire but I do have the ports and I know that if you go into Control Panel > Network Options listed under my Lan or High-Speed Internet is a 1394 (firewire) connection. Look there and see if you can figure out if its properly configured. If I right click mine I get a context menu with the options )Disable, Status, Repair, Bridge Connections etc. and there is a properties tab that if I open it there is a configuration button and another Properties button to check as well. From within the configure button you can try updating the drivers over the internet to see what happens but I would try the repair function first.

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 48
A question about your FW port. Is it a hookup on the computer case or directly from the motherboard in the back with all the other connectors? If there's one on the case itself it may not be hooked up correctly inside the PC and would possibly mess up the motherboard connection as well if it is wrong.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us