Motherboard worries

Bronze Member
Username: Mrbockbagok

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 25
hey i just got into computers and started off on the wrong foot buy buing a shitty pc. anywho to fix this problem i need a new motherboard i have a hp a1224n, 3.06ghz, 1gig ram, ddr2 pc-3200. so i think this mother board will work right? http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d945gnt/ and i was told that i might have to reinstall windows if i change my motherboard is this true? please help me out. Thanks for your time and help

Username: Aculous

Post Number: 6
Ok yes you do need to reinstall windows if you get a new motherboard.

Secondly go with a MSI or ASUS motherboard from newegg.com that would be better then just going with an intel board.

Also in order to pick the board you need to know what socket type your processor is, something to the effect of a "socket 478" or whatever thats how they are categorized. And be careful with your setup of DDR ram, whether its dual channel or not really changes things.

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 21
Your first problem is going to be the powersupply, most PC Manufacturers use a proprietary supply that will only work with the motherboard made for their PC, and if you plug that old powersupply into a new motherboard it could destroy it, because the connections are not the same. Unless you know alot about electrial and can test the connections and rearrange them in the correct order I would replace the powersupply too. Besides store bought computers have unreliable power supplies anyway.

You do not have to reinstall windows when you change motherboards (you probably will have to reactivate your Windows XP). All you need to do is uninstall the drivers for the previous motherboard before you install the new drivers. Also uninstal any extra apps that came with it like motherboard updaters, auto bios updaters or temperature monitors etc..

Username: Spawn_2_extreme

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
When changing to a new Motherboard, you will most likely have to insert your xp cd in, and do a windows xp repair to get everything good and working again. The steps are:
1) go into bios and put boot priority to cd, insert xp cd.
2)After files have loaded, press enter to install windows.
3) press f8 to agree to license terms.
4) After searching for previous OS you should get an option to press R for repair, and everything will go as a normal xp installation but with all ur programs and data intact.

Bronze Member
Username: Ajr

West Mids!!.., Dudly United kingdom

Post Number: 37
u mit not need to restall xp gust connect new up then load xp all the new hardwear will be founf old will have small x bi them and will be removed on next boot

Username: Blue_sakie

Post Number: 1
I HAVE A COMPAQ PRESARIO 5000. IT WAS RUNNING SLOW SO I CLEAN UP MY DRIVE AND ALSO OPEN THE CASE CLEAN THE MOTHERBOARD. IT WAS REALLY DUSTY INSIDE. HOWEVER, THE ATX 20 PIN POWER CABLE GOT DISCONNECTD IN THE PROCESS. THERE ARE 6 CABLE- 2 BLACK, 2 WHITE 1 GREEN AND 1 ORANGE OR YELLOW. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE HOW TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM . THANKS.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
Those cables, what do they look like:

Upload (Molex connector) used for Hard-drives, CD-ROMS
Upload(Sata) Connector (Used for Sata Hard-drives)
Upload Sata connectors from motherboard to Hard-drive
Upload USB connectors, (For front USB ports to work)
Red wire - USB VCC +5V
White Wire - Data +
Green Wire - Data -
Black Wire - Ground

Username: Blue_sakie

Post Number: 2
the connectors look exactly like the usb connectors. it has 6 cables-2 black, 2 white,1 blue & 1 yellow. can someone help me connect back to the coding system. thank you.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 22
the usb connector image, I showed above, is 1 set.
The order is: Red, White , Green , Black, Look at the words on each connector. Start with VCC +5V from the left, then go right.

Post yoour motherboard model, if your unsure: Some board names are: Intel , ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, BioStar, AsRock, DFI, EliteGroup, Abit. Once you find the brand name, you can find the model #.

Upload
The image above shows 2 USB connector on a motherboard, look at the words next to header, it says F_USB, ur motherboard might have something similar to that to identify your USB connectors.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us