Any tips on networking ??

Silver Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 108
I've been able to network 2 computers at home pretty easily; both are running xp. However, at the workplace, I'm using the same router as I am at home, same setup procedure, but the internet connection at work is satellite (vs. a cable/modem connection at home). My first message on both PCs is that there is an ip address conflict; I'm not able to get the networking wizard to show a connection to each pc. Any thoughts or suggestions? Or sites that provide basic info on networking?

Username: Vermiciouskanid

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 5
couple point 2 remember
- make sure DHCP is enabled for both machines
- make sure your PCs each have a unique username
- make sure your PCs belong to the same workgroup

The router should take care of everything else. If you need instruction on any of the configs, let me know. I am lazy an dont wanna type em out if you already know how

Web and E-Mail Hosting + free trial

Unregistered guest
whats the best and cheapest way to network 3 computers

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 242
router,hub,switch, ETC. Ive seen cheap switches and hubs for like 10 buks. Look around. Tigerdirect.com

Bronze Member
Username: Tasattack

Post Number: 19
if its a small network in the workplace under 10pcs and they had statically assigned all your ip/dhcp info that could be the problem; a duplicate ip address. 2 ways to check this on xp systems, start>run> cmd press enter. type ipconfig /all. or right click my network places>properties>right click local area connection>properties scroll to internet protocol tcp/ip highlight it, and press properties.

if you see an ip address of 169.x.x.x then windows issued it and there are some issues with the network.

Username: Rowlandbrown

Post Number: 10
Configure all your IP addresses dynamically as opposed to statically and everything should work out fine. The problem probably occurred at work and not at home because the work machines were probably previously on a network. Don't forget to configure the router with its own IP.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us