Question about Optical Audio cables.

Username: A928

Post Number: 1
Hi, I just recently got a home theater system (Logitech Z-5500) and have a few questions.

First, I went out to the store and got 3 optical audio cables to connect my PS3, Xbox360, and the TV itself to the Z-5500. I realized it only had one slot to put the cables in, so then I considered getting a splitter later during the week.

Well, my question is, is there a point in having more than one Optical audio cable if my TV can connect to it directly? I heard no sound difference when connecting my TV then switching and connecting it directly to my 360/ps3. And when I tried my Wii (Which doesn't have an optical audio option) when the TV was directly connected, that had surround sound too!
I know it may seem kind of obvious but I wasn't sure if there's better quality by somehow hooking all 3 up, or if I should return the cables and stick with the one with my TV.

Also, is there a difference in the coaxial optical cable vs the optical audio?

Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 2
can anyone help please?

Silver Member
Username: Ecoustics

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 233
HDMI would be your optimal choice for connecting components, but the Logitech Z-5500 doesn't have HDMI inputs.

You will likely not hear a difference between optical (toslink) audio cables vs. coaxial cables. Either one is fine.

You need to run the audio-out from each component into the Logitech Z-5500 (or an A/V receiver) so it can decode the surround sound information from the signal.

Post Number: 3
Thanks a lot

Username: Longlze

Post Number: 3
You can using one adapter to Z-5500. PS3, Xbox360, and the TV connect to the adapter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us