Head ache over cables for surround sound

Username: Spookyfe

Post Number: 1
WE seem to have so many inputs in the amp we are getting yamaha 659 we dont' know which is the best way to go. I have before only had hifi and have a very good set up mid to high end. This is totally different does anyone know a good place to look at which is the best option to take etc. I have looked at he manual but need a bit more explination i have seen the audiophiles componant video vables the definitave guide but this is too much

Thanks for any pointers

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 848
First off, what TV do you have and what do you intend to hook up the receiver? After looking at the back my personal first choices would be to use the coaxial digital audio inputs first over optical, then 5.1 multi inputs and stereo analog in after that in order from best to worst. I'd then use, from best to worst, component, S-video, and composite. Those are personally what I'd use.

I'm not sure how much knowledge you have in this field but that's what I've said.

Post Number: 2
I have a samsung lcd hd tv, Yamaha dvd player high mid range one, samsung dvd hard drive recorder and kef 2005 surround sound and as yet no cables or connectors. for the amp or speakers.

I can do hifi but the back of the amp and tv is just bewildering. ans the there seems to be so many things to connect one thing to

Thanks for any help

Silver Member

Post Number: 850
Ok here's the way I'd hook it up.

I'd hook the Dvd player to the Component Video Dvd input of the receiver and the Coaxial digital output to the input of the receiver. The Dvd Recorder I'd hook up using the DVR outputs of the receiver (stereo audio analog (optical output if possible), S-video) to it's inputs. If you want to hook it up to inputs as well use the component video DVR inputs on the receiver and of course hook the componenent monitor out on the receiver to the component in on the TV. That's all you need to hook up on the TV, the component monitor out of the receiver.

You can assign all ins and outs to the correct devices using help from the manual. Of course you have to set up the other devices to work with the receiver as well.

Now for the speakers.

Hook all the speakers up to their output posts and the subwoofer to the subwoofer pre-out on the receiver.

Did you get that? I hope I explained it right.

Post Number: 3
thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 894
Hopefully you got it right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us