Archive through April 14, 2005

Proximo
What's the difference between digital coaxial cable and regular rca audio cable?

I'm wondering if I can use a left over Monster Cable rca audio cable, instead of getting a digital coaxial cable to connect my dvd to my receiver.

Anonymous
Aren't rca cables the same as coaxial cables?

Al Holland
A coaxial cable is an RCA cable. You can use an RCA audio cable, video cable or one labeled as coaxial.
Just because it says coaxial does not always make it better.
I have had excellent results with all of them.
Use the Monster, it will not do harm and later you can try a coaxial to see if there is a difference in sound. If not then return it.

I need 45 ft of digital coaxial cable to hook a computer to stereo reciever. would you know where i could find this

Bill Young mentioned a 45 ft digital coaxial cable. Are there any length limitation on a digital coaxial?

SPALAW
I just went through the same issue of "what's the difference between digital coaxial cable and regular RCA cable or even digital RCA cable (not labled coaxial)." Sales guys at the stores always tell you that you have to have something labled "coaxial," but I think they generally don't know what they are talking about. Nonetheless, I ended up taking the cautious approach and bought a digital coaxial cable, even though it was more expensive and I really don't notice any difference from the audio digital RCA cable that I had.

Tim
The difference between a used car salesman and a computer/appliance salesman is that the used car salesman *knows* that he's lying.

How would I know if the digital link to my receiver is working, doing any thing? Should I unplug the audio L&R cables?

I'm using a Sony dvp-s330 and a BOSE Lyfestyle 300.

buzbug
Coaxial digital cables look on the surface like standard analog RCA cables; however, you should avoid using a standard audio interconnect to transfer a coaxial digital signal. Cables engineered specifically to pass a digital signal provide 75-ohm impedance and wider frequency bandwidth, ensuring superior signal transfer.

Do you mean by "superior signal transfer" that "analog" cables (50-ohm) as opposed to "digital" cables (75-ohm) might send 0 .9 0 .9 0 .9 instead of 0 1 0 1 0 1? :)

I agree with what I have read that for short distances it shouldn't matter. For 45 feet, well, thats another thing all together.

Can I run coaxial digital audio over one pair of a cat5 cable? Or more precisely, what kind of distance could I expect?

I know I could use pipe cleaners or metal twisties if the distance is short enough, but I've got to run it from one end of the house to the other.. Has anyone experimented with PCM audio over twisted pair?

latebeat
There's absolutely no difference in the audio quality whatever medium you use for a D-I-G-I-T-A-L connection! Digital connections either work or don't (contrary to analaog). So you could have used your ordinary rca cable.

The only advantage of using a true Coax cable is the advantage of shielding. We use RG-6 Quad Shield cable with compression RCA connectors on the ends and have had great results, especially with long runs in-wall to subwoofers. (I know it's not a digital signal to the sub, but it works great by the way.) Also although there is a minor impedence missmatch, many of the custom installs done have Coax rather than regular audio cables run for in-wall CL3 rating purposes and they sound great to.

Jay Smith [Cable Guys, Inc. / Oklahoma City]

Digital Coaxial Cable is nothing but another scam they have fed us for sometime! ... You pay up $$$ and think you did the right thing while they are laughing and saying "what a great way to sell crap to people"!!!
Save your money as the difference is so insignificant that in reality it should have never made it to the market. You have one option and that is the regular RCA cable!!!

Username: Tnixon

Post Number: 1
I have a 25 ft RCA cable (not "digital") connecting my PC's sound card to my receiver...digital output from sound card to digitial input on receiver. Every few minutes, while listening to music, the sound cuts out for a half-second. I can't find the cause. Should I consider getting a digital cable for that distance? What's confusing is that I also have two speakers plugged directly into the sound card headphone jack and the music plays fine..it only cuts out on the digital connection. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
I have a Logitech/THX Z-680 surround sound system with 4 inputs on the control pod, one of them being 'Digital Coaxial". It is only a single input. Does that one digital coaxial cable carry 5.1 sound?

Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a Packard Bell 5.1 Digital theater system. Connected to my pc the receiver box seems to get rather hot is this normal as i have never had a digital external box before. Also i am using stardard RCA cable into the coaz would this have anything to do with it any suggestions i would be grateful.

Juan Soziah
Unregistered guest
How can I hook my dvd player up to a tv that doesn't have rca jacks? Do I need to get a converter or is there a cable that will do it?

Unregistered guest
Scart cable might be an option

Juan Soziah
Unregistered guest
?

Username: Susieq

Post Number: 4
I have a new receiver that has a built in dvd that has 5.1 and dolby digital capabities and a satelitte receiver. What cable do I need to get all this. I already have a RCA audio cable on hand do I really need a digital cable? Please help. Thanks, Sue

Unregistered guest
how can I connect a 5.1 receiver without digital inputs (only 6xRCA for 5.1), in a DVD player with coaxial output?

Anonymous

scart, buy one from ur local electronics store

Anonymous

i dont think you can plug it in i havent seen or heard of an adapter for 6 rca's into one coax

Odysseas Gr
Unregistered guest
You think that Scart from DVD player to 6xRCA input in my receiver will give me real Surround?

Unregistered guest
Sorry for the tangent, but I hope somebody can point me in the right direction... I have a digital audio coax connection from my cable box that I need to hook up to my old home theater system, which only has analog RCA audio connections. I've been able to find analog-to-digital converters, but no digital-to-analog converters. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan B
Unregistered guest
I am very surprised that your cable box doesn't have analogue audio outputs.

If you have a second scart output from your cable box, you can get a scart to audio output lead from maplin which will hook up to your old system.

If you only have one scart socket then get a scart splitter also from maplin that makes your single scart socket into a shared dual socket and then plug in your new lead.

If you want a d/a conveter then possibly use a minidisc player. Pressing record without a minidisc in the recorder starts the recorder in d/a mode only. I have used this technique on a sony standalone hifi separate.

joe8888
Unregistered guest
i have a dvd player with digital coaxial output but my stereo only has analog input is there anyway i can hook them up together i have looked for a digital coaxial to a 5.1 analog convertor does anyone have an answer

Freely, I.P.
Unregistered guest
My reciever has two inputs, toslink & digital coaxial. I'm told only those inputs can play 5/6.1 surround. If I use an RCA cable as my "digital coax" will I still be able to play 5.1 surround?

Gita dasi
Unregistered guest
I have an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 who's analog just stopped working. The Archos guys aren't much help. How can I get it to record in w/ the RCA digital cable? I think I've even mixed it up accidently w/ my red and white analog cables!

Username: Bradolson

I use a red standard RCA cable in the coaxial audio output from my DVD player to the coaxial input to the receiver and I do get DD sound.

Unregistered guest
i want to move my subwoofer about 80 ft away from my receiver wat is the best way to cable it.

Craig Geesley
Unregistered guest
Use heavy gauge figure 8 speaker cable Russ you should be fine

Craig Geesley
Unregistered guest
For the Coax and Coax digital debate visit this link its interesting http://www.canford.co.uk/blueprintonline/blueprintaug2003/coaxcables.aspx

Unregistered guest
Is there an adapter to go from a rca cable to optical

Unregistered guest
Freely, I.P.
you should certainly be able to use full dobly surround 5.1 as for the toslink thats for an extirely different use, its for say you want to add on a cd player, instead of having 2 remotes you can control it with the amp remote.
Im assuming you have an onkyo amp they have that feature

Unregistered guest
From my own experience using a low quality, say standard audio rca approx 10m i get signal loss (stutter) and also interfearnce (turning a light switch on and off) i recently used a shorter low quality video rca approx 7m and it works wonders only cost me 10bucks from warehouse. for those who are planning to make an rca connection themselves please remember to buy 75ohm cable and use high quality connectors as most connectors only limit up to 25ohms.

Michael W
Unregistered guest
so, if there is no difference between RCA and digital coax. We may connect the dvd player to receiver/AV amp by either RCA or ordinary coax.
There is no point to buy a coax marked specifically for "DIGITAL", right?!

Unregistered guest
I have been trying to work out whether to buy special digital coax for a while now - so I decided to do an experiment.
I bought 2 rca connecters and 2 feet of the cheapest, nastiest speaker wire that Jaycar had. I didnt even solder the connectors to the wire, I just twisted them on.
I have a pair of Dali Evidence 870's for front speakers and my amp is a JVC 7.1 channel jobbie, and playing Jamiroquai's Live in Verona 5.1 channel DD DVD I could not tell the difference from the old RCA cable and the speaker wire. The amp received the Dolby Digital signals, all 5.1 channels.
I then decided to get silly and I joined the 2 RCA connectors with some old 20 gauge rusty fencing wire, taking care that the 2 wires don't touch together. The thing sounded exactly the same, everything worked fine. With about 2c worth of fencing wire!!!!! I could not believe it. This is completely unsheilded, unbalanced, unsoldered and it still sounded like Jamiroquai was standing in front of me!! Sharps, Bass, it was all still there!!
I think this verifies the theory that Digital signal is either there or not there. There is no way that anything more that $10 should be spent on digital coax connection.

Do the experiment yourself -- It costs about $4 to do.

Username: Babyferragamo

Do you mind to tell me the Limitation Of Coaxial Cable? And is there any good webside that talk about Limitation Of Coaxial Cable? Thanks

Username: Gater

HELP - Split DTS Channels from computer

I have a computer that has a digital out, but it uses a headphone jack. In order to test out if it was working, I rigged up some alligator clips and send the signal to the digital coax jack on my DTS decoder/amplifier.

It all worked except that coming out of the digital output of my computer I have a L, R & ground wire. If I hook up JUST the L wire to the center wire of the coax on the decoder, I get ONLY the front speaker channels. If I just hook up the single R wire to the decoder, I get the rear channels (coming out of the front speakers). But if I hook up both L & R wires to the same coax center pin, my decoder quits and displays the message "unlock"
I cannot find any combination of wires that will give me all channels at the same time.

Can anyone help?

Mark-AV Consultant
Unregistered guest
For technical information regarding digital audio cables see the following web site: http://www.westpenn-cdt.com/pdfs/PRO-AUDIO.pdf Hope this helps.

Username: Djshawn

Manhattan, KS United States

I remember when I used to work at a hifi store and dvd was just beoming the new consumer a/v craze. I didn't see that much of a difference between rca and digital coaxial rca until I ran into one particular customer. He was watching The Matrix, I believe, with a standard rca hooked up to his digital coax out and when the movie came to a huge climax scene with a ton of audio info being sent his dvd or receiver would crash, can't remember which one it was. He switched up to a digital coax cable, nothing super fancy, and the system never crashed again.

Unregistered guest
IS their any way i can plug my surround sound which has 6 output plugs into my one coaxial socket in the DVD player?

Neil Shapiro
Unregistered guest
Wow. I want to thank everyone in this thread. I discovered this Forum with a Google search on "digital coaxial switch." My reason for searching was because I have a new Sony amp which has only one "digital coaxial" input and a bunch of light pipes. My DVD has only digital coaxial output (other than RCA) and my HDTV cable box is the same. So I have been listening to the DVD properly but had gone with the RCA outputs on the cable box -- resulting in no digital Dolby effects when watching HDTV. EVERY salesperson I spoke to at EVERY major electronics store maintained that 1) there was no such thing as an A/B switch for coaxial digital 2) I could not use RCA cables or an RCA A/B switch without effects ranging from no sound to distortion to even damage to my equipment and 3) maybe I should buy this here new amplifier that has the two separate inputs I need. Well, tonight after reading this thread I am listening to full Digital Dolby from both my DVD and my HDTV cable box! All I did was to use RCA cables (runs of 10-ft) and a very cheap RCA A/B switch. Works absolutely 100% perfecto. What an incredible semi-scam the electronics industry has going for it here with those high-priced cables! Thanks again.

Anonymous

Well I have been using an A/B switch with RCA cables and sometimes when it's quiet I can here a pulsing effect like the signal is being swithed on and off very fast. Does not do it on a proper digital cable but I only have 1 input also and 2 devices that need digital. No idea why it would pulse like that. I thought about buying another digital cable but that's pointless as the switcher has 4 ins (stereo left and right) and 1 out rca cable with 2 phono pins on the end.

I think what I really need to find is a a/B switching box that is just that and nothing else and then buy 2 more digitcal cables and connect those.

Unregistered guest
I've been looking for a solution of how to connect a 5.1 receiver with 6xRCA inputs with a DVD Player with Digital Coaxial Audio output. It looks like the only choice is through an amplifier with both coaxial input and rca outputs.. but those are really expensive--> any other less expensive solution?

Unregistered guest
To make your own digital coaxial switch get the following items from Radio Shack

3 - "F" to Phono Plug Adapter - Catalog #: 278-290 - $4.29
3 - Sections of RG6 Coaxial Cable with Female connectors on each end. (Keep entire run under 100 feet or you might notice signal loss)
1 - High-Isolation Mini A/B Switch - Catalog #:15-1216 - $8.49.

Connect a "F" to Phono Plug Adapter to one end of each coaxial cable. Connect the other ends of the coaxial cables to the High-Isolation Mini A/B Switch. Connect the Phono Plugs to your devices. You then have a Digital Coaxial Audio Switch. For about $25 you can create something that the guys at Best Buy will tell you does not exist.

soundboi
Unregistered guest
Funny, I tried plugging in a an RCA cable as opposed to a digital coax cable and the reciever didn't display a DD symbol. <-Certifying that i'm getting a surround experience. I have an onkyo 5.1 reciever :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 32
I'm not totally surprised, even though you've had unusual bad luck. There are after all some differences between analogue and digital signals. And even if I can get hold of rusty barb wire for free, I prefer to use cables that a manufacturer has developed and tested specifically for binary transfer.

I started plugging digital with an ordinary RCA cable. Sounded fantastic for about 48 hours. Now I have connected my equipment in 3 ways: Optical and Coaxial S/PDIF at 25 Euros each, plus mid-end cables for analogue interconnect.

For movies and I mostly run digital coaxial. I find optical lacking dynamic range, even though it sounds slightly cleaner (i.e. more linear frequency response). But if I want an audiophile experience, especially for SACD or DVD-A, I always switch to analogue.

So I confess, I am one of those who believe cables make a difference. But not that it is necessary to dedicate X percent of total expenses on cables. The key issue is to get something that fits with your equipment. And even more important: with your ears.

Cheers
AL

eugene
Unregistered guest
Well, you guys are all way more advanced than me. I have a problem that is pretty basic so if you can give me a simple answer that's probably all I will be able to follow anyway. I am trying to hook up a DV player to my VCR/TV combo. I can get video hooked up OK. For audio, the DVD player has two lines (red and white)but the VCR/TV has only one (white). I can hook up the red to red and white to white with one left over red but doesn't give me any audio. My instruction manual indicates that the DVD player can use a coaxial audio cable, but I'm not sure whether VCR/TV combo can. Would that make a difference? What kind of cable to I need?

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 39
Does your VCR/TV manual indicate what kind of connection is this "white"?

eugene
Unregistered guest
On the VCR/TV combo there are two color coded places to plug in cables. The white one says line in audio and the yellow one next to it says line in video. On the DVD player there is only one yellow video-out and it works fine when connected to the video-in on the VCR/TV. For sound though, the DVD player says analog audio out - left - white, right - red. (No place on the VCR/TV to plug in the red side of the double cable that came with the DVD player). Below that it has another outlet that says digital audio out-coaxial (which is why I typed in coaxial to my search engine and found this site). If I buy and attach a coaxial cable to the DVD player will it fit the single white connection on the VCR/TV? It looks like coaxial cable has larger connectors. It appears that I just don't have two compatible units. What do you think?

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 53
Firstly, the digital out on your DVD is for connecting it to an A/V receiver. Home cinema, that is. Do NOT connect it to VHS.

Secondly, it sounds now to me as if your VHS has a 3.5 or 6 mm stereo jack for audio input. That is, same as used for headphones. In that case it's just to buy an adapter cable, they're not expensive at all.

BTW, the technical specs page of VHS manual should confirm what kind of input we're dealing with here.

Cheers
AL

Jerry K.
Unregistered guest
Eugene, you've got a MONO INPUT on that TV/VCR combo, and a STEREO OUTPUT on the DVD player. Radio Shack should have RCA stereo to RCA mono adapter cables in stock. Walmart/Kmart might have them too, but there won't be anyone there that will be able to help you, you'll have to know what to look for. You can try to hook up the red connector on the DVD to the white connector on the TV/VCR, but this will only let you listen to half of the sound from the DVD (left or right channel) You really need that stereo to mono adapter cable.

Unregistered guest
I read all your posts, but I didn't see anyone describing my scenario. For years I've hooked up my home stereo system to my PC. It was always a simple matter of connecting the receiver audio AUX inputs (standard RCA plugs) to a Y cable with a mini plug, and simply plugging the mini plug into the audio out on the PC (or sound card.)
Now I have a new PC and bought Philips Aurilium external USB sound card. It's a great device and I have fantastic 5.1 surround sound using the surround sound outputs (green, orange, black) to the Altec Lansing surround sound speakers. BUT, I still want my stereo receiver hooked up so I can hear the same CD's, game or DVD audio in the living room. The Aurilium USB device has two additional digital outputs -- optical and COAX digital S/PDIF out (and a line in.) The software offers a "by pass" mode (AC3/DTS pass through) that seems like it should let me use even the RCA audio connectors that you discuss, to my stereo. Nothing has worked. My aging Yamaha stereo receiver has no ability to accept digital connectors.

Right now I have a short PCM digital audio cable coming out of the COAX out on the sound card, connected to a phono plug coupler (gold audio, because the digital cable is male) and that's plugged into the male RED RCA which is hooked up to the AUX input on the stereo. No sound on the stereo. Tried this with CD inputs. Nothing. Also tried putting either the RED or white end of the RCA audio on the digital out going straight to either AUX or CD on the stereo. NOTHING. Tried both pass through modes and surround modes with all possible connectors. what am I missing???

The only other output on the sound card is the headphone and I haven't tried that. It has input for a microphone and another input for recording.
Surely there is some configuration that will allow me to take the digital output from the sound card to the receiver. Any thoughts, help on this?
Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 80
Hi Jami,

1. Digital out (S/PDIF) should never be connected to analogue inputs.

2. I think "Bypass" refers to digital treatment of AC3 and DTS, choices are then:
- Pass AC3 or DTS bitstream as it is.
- Convert AC3 or DTS to PCM.
In both cases we are still in digital and S/PDIF domain.

3. Be v-e-r-y careful with DTS. There is a small risk of damaging equipment if setup and connections are wrong.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 81
Oh, BTW: there is a good chance that headphone out is compatible with amp's input. Manuals should contain specs for this. Then you just need an adapter cable, probably 3.5 stereo jack to 2xRCA.

Unregistered guest
I really appreciate you guys -- you and Mick "Fence Wire" Loney who has been corresponding with me on this. The problem with using the headphone jack (if I can) is that will cut off the surround sound speakers. What I'm after is both -- surround sound in my computer room and regular stereo in the next room -- from the PC CD, DVD, MP3, etc sources. I tried a D/A converter from Radio Shack and that didn't work either. Mick thought that migh have to do with DTS -- but the sound card offers that "AC3/DTS pass through" mode that I thought would resolve that. Still stumped. Thanks again for all the help! *** jami

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 83
It's a longshot, but... I guess you still have the onboard sound card in your PC. Try see if you can get output to headphones from it, at the same time as 5.1 to speakers.

Cheers
AL

Unregistered guest
Arnold, That may be the solution. I just tried connecting to the headphone on the external sound card and as suspected it worked, but cut off the surround speakers. I had been nervous to use the headphone jack for the stereo. Since that worked, I held my breath and tried it on the PC headphone jack. That didn't work. BUT, if there's some software configuration that will allow both the onboard sound and the external sound card to co-exist, then that will be the answer. I can pose that to the PC and/or Philips sound card support. Thanks for giving me courage to try the headphone jacks, and again for all your time and energy on this!
*** jami

WCBPhilly
Unregistered guest
How much quality difference is there between a digital optical cable and a digital coaxial? I am looking at Progressive Scan DVD players since I just bought a 48" Mitsu tv and subscribed to HDTV along with a new Onkyo 6.1 home theater system.

Most of the 5-disc DVD players don't offer optical cable ports (I've got a 3-year old Sony DVD player that is not progressive scan with an optical cable). I'd rather not spend more money on new cables if I don't have to. My goal is to get rid of my current old Kenwood 5disc CD player and consolidate two components into a 5 disc DVD/CD player; hence the dilemma.

netrat
Unregistered guest
I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS (Gamer - LE) sound card and a Creative DTT2500 5.1 speaker system. What cable connector/adapter can I use to hoop the two together. The sound card has a digital out. The DTT2500 has a Digital DIN which I want to use. And where can I get one? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
can you connect two digital (coax) audio cables together with an in-line rca connector without affecting the signal...seems to me it shouldn't matter. I need twelve feet and can find nothing longer than 6ft here in my small town.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A KENWOOD DVD V5020 PLAYER WITH DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL AND DIGITAL)BUT WHEN CONNECTED TO KENWOOD (AUDIO VIDEO SURROUND RECIVER)KRF-V5030D WHICH HAS COAXIAL IN NO SOUND IS OUTPUT IN DIGITAL MODE ALL ANALOGUE CONNECTIONS ARE FINE
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANY OTHER MODIFICATIONS ARE TO BE DONE

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle___berg

Post Number: 30
caps lock... oh how rude. :/

Unregistered guest
coax cable means this:

a chunk of wire with thick insulation.
then wrap a strip of tinfoil around it like a spiral (cover it from end to end).
then wrap plastic around all of that.

component cables are built like that.
composite cables are built like that.
RF Cables are built like that.
even the cords on headphones are built like that.

how you terminate it is up to you.

Unregistered guest
I bought Creative Inspire 6.1 speakers.

I am interested in connecting it to a DVD player(which I don't have it now).

I visited Sony showroom for purchasing one. But the sales person says that

U can use it only if u have a amplifier. The Sony dvd had optical fiber

And coaxial cable connectivity but my speakers have 3 leads from the sub woofer.

My query is that I want to purchase a DVD player which should hold good for

My speakers and I don't want to compromise on any things.

Please help me in this regard at the earliest.

Unregistered guest
i have a cheap dvd player that i got from walmart but it has coaxil out for the sound, i can hook it up to my 5.1 surround sound card coaxil input with a RCA cable, when i put an mp3 in the player i get sound but i dont get sound when i put an dvd in. can some1 help me here?

Suresh
Unregistered guest
Does the audio output format from the DVD player - PCM or RAW - make a difference in the audio quality when using digital coaxial output ? Appreciate any answers.

Unregistered guest
Okay, here is my scenerio. I hope y'all can help. I have formerly been connecting my Bose Wave CD Radio to my TV for improved audio output using standard RCA cables. I just purchased a new TV (Sylvania), and the only audio output is a single (orange) identified as digital coax. The only inputs on the Bose is the red and white RCA audio in jacks. I tried to run it with my old cables, but this produced no sound. Is there a way to make this work?

Unregistered guest
I have a DVD/VCR combo which came with a home theater sound system. The connection from the subwoofer to the DVD was a scart to scart. I have replaced the DVD/VCR combo with a new combo player which includes a DVD recorder but no scart connection. I've located scart to audio connectors on the web. Can it be that easy to fix my problem and should I connect he scart in connector to my DVD combo, TV, or Satellite box?

Unregistered guest
I just connected my cable box which has a coaxial audio out to my surrond sound system using a regular rca plug. The problem that i'm having is that i get a delay on the sound. It looks like i'm watching an old kung fu flick, the peoples lips move and a second later you get the dialog. The best is one some one shoots a gun. The system that I have is a Koss KS5190. I know thw brand kinda sucks but it has 1000w total output and i paid only like 150 for it, so i can't really complain to much. But what i was really wondering was if the problem is coming from the cable box, the surround sound system, or the rca plug i'm useing. When i switch the input to anaolg, it works fine but you really have to crank up the volume to get the same sound as you would from the input being in coaxial at a much lower volume setting. And in analog mode you dont get the cool looking DD sign on the surround sound system that you get when you switch the input to coaxial. If anyone has some input please let me know. I've really been considering taking this system back and getting something from a better known brand, but if the problem is the cable box or the rca plug then the system really is a good bargain.

Unregistered guest
is there a cheap/economical way to connect a DVD player that has a L/R/Coaxial output for Audio to a discrete 6Channel 5.1 I have? The 5.1 system only has the 6 RCA cable inputs....I bought a coaxial cable but I realized my 5.1 system doesn't have this input. What can I do to convert the Coaxial to the 6 individual channels?

Kristian
Unregistered guest
I have a receiver and DVD player connected through a coaxial, and when pressing DVD on the receiver it displayes "unlock DVD coax". I have already set the DVD player up to digital audio, but with no difference at all.

Unregistered guest
I scanned this whole board and this question is repeated, but there are no answers: How can you convert the digital audio output from a DVD player to the analog input for a stereo receiver. I have surfed around looking for a convertor, no luck.
Any help?

Collumb
Unregistered guest
Deryl,
You cannot. Digital > Digital is fine,
Analog > Analog is fine. You either need a new reciever, or use the analog outputs on your dvd player.

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 17
Sesh,

The Sony guy is talking crap, your speakers have an amplifier, it's just built into the main unit. I'd be surprised if no Sony DVD player is suitable.

What you need is a DVD player with built in decoding and 6 RCA (phono) analog outputs (and here's one to back up my words http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002KQR28). The 6 analog outputs are then connected to your speakers. Looking at the specs of creative 6.1 speakers, you then need to set the 'upmix switch' to activate the centre rear from the L/R rear signals.

Problem solved. :D

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 18
Mike Sanchez,

You may need to set the DVD player to output surround sound in the settings menu. Surprisingly on a lot of new DVD players, the initial setup is for stereo output.

Zeroth57
Unregistered guest
Thanks Everybody:

I just bought a nice Harman Kardon System with 5.1 Audio and they tried to sell me a 4' Digital Coax Cable for $92 CDN ($75 US). Having some electronic experience, I figured this was nonsense. They looked like RCA jacks to me. Since I only need to go like 2-3 ft, it was $30 a foot. Digital is digital, and going three feet is nothing. So I will pick up a nice 4' RCA and worse case, go to Home Depot and make my own 75 ohm coax if needed. I will let you all know what happens. Having Internet Search and groups like these out there is a definite $$$ saver.

DonH

Rhudi
Unregistered guest
I know I saw a Digital-Coax (from DVD) to 6Ch converter (to 6Channel Amp) I just can't remember who made it.

Rhudi
Unregistered guest
What we're looking for is actually called an "Outboard Digital to Analog Converter". I still can't find one. This will convert the Digital COAX to Analog audio.

capoditutticapi
Unregistered guest
I was under the impression that a digital coaxial cable can be used to hook up all 5.1 from the dvd player to my amplifier. Is this correct?

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 67
wow, 83 entries and no one answered the intital question. rca connectors send the signal in an analog form. digital coaxial connectors send the signal in a digital form. the difference is this, atleast in terms of cd players. both the cd player and the reciever/processor/preamp have a unit that converts the digital signal of the cd to analog so you can use them to make sound. using the rca cable has it so the cd player in making the conversion, using the digital coax has it so the reciever does the conversions. its not so much a difference in the cable as it is the signal being transmitted.

Unregistered guest
Two questions:
1) Do I need to do anything special to split a digital audio signal that has been run through a 60 foot cable in order to plug it into two different amps for different parts of my house?
2) Once I split the signal I need to convert the digital signal to analog in order to plug it into a 12 year old Rotel amp with only L/R RCA inputs. How do you convert digital to analog if your amp does not have a digi input?

Alan_L
Unregistered guest
I'm in the market for a video capture card, many have a single audio-in RCA jack. When connecting RCA Audio L/R from say a camcorder using a Y audio cable to a single RCA audio input on a card, is the stereo signal converted to mono?

Username: Emptypockets

I just purchased a new AV receiver and did a little research to find coat hangers would work but I used a RCA cable and it works fine! Dogs might be able to hear the difference but my 60's tinnitus ringing ears can't.
The posting by Tim saying "The difference between a used car salesman and a computer/appliance salesman is that the used car salesman *knows* that he's lying". Thats rich.

Unregistered guest
Im using a Sony DVCPro50 Player. My tape is mono signal. How can i split the digital signal output of the player into two different cable. The digital output of the player is using XLR female. I tried to split the signal from a sinlge xlr to 2 xlr but it doesnt wort out.

soundabetter
Unregistered guest
which is better? digital coax or optical. i have tried both connections and to me the audio (6.1 DTS ES) of the LOTR:THE RETURN OF THE KING played through the dvd is the same. Are there any differences in audio perfomance?

Meadows
Unregistered guest
man o man... buy a box of 1000' 75 ohm coax cable dual or quad shield... no difference in a residential setting in my opinion and buy rca connects $25 for a bag off 100... the crimp tool and some r6 connects $45 for 100. make as many cables you want for rca connects, cable connects, component video connects... and almost anything else. except maybe phone and ethernet... but hey, they work too if ya run enough wires... lates. quit buying into the cable scams... as bad as the inkjet scam

E. Ramsey
Unregistered guest
After reading all these posts, I am amazed at all the confusion about digital coaxial and standard rca interconnects. You do need a "digital" coaxial cable to connect a dvd players "coax digital out" to a digital reciever or processor for Dolby digital or Dts. A coaxial digital cable is "solid wire" whereas a standard rca cable is stranded wire. This is not a "scam" by the consumer electronic industry it is what is recommended by all manufacturers. I have read some posts on this forum that some have used the standard rca-"red or white " connector to connect for digital sound,I haven't tried this and this may work in some cases but I bet it will cause problems for most people such as sound dropouts during playback,which I have also read about. I have seen decent coaxial digital cables in Walmart and Radioshack for aslittle as $10.If youcan afford a digital surround reciever which costs hundreds of dollars,there is no need to skimp on this and buy the correct cable which is reccomended by the manufacturer. The poster Meadows suggested that standard coax cable for tv,satelite, which is rg59 and rg6 respectively will work, this might be correct as both of these have a solid conductor,this is interesting I'll have to try this out. If this works, without a loss of resolution, this may be a feasible "cheapskate" option. E.Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Unregistered guest
Wrong. An ordinary 75-ohm video cable will work just fine. No need to buy something marketed as "digital"; there's nothing inherently "digital" about the cable.

Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 5
Obviously, you misunderstood my post Nathan S.. I did not mean to buy the cable because it is labled "digital". What I meant is that a "digital" coaxial cable has a solid conductor and a standard rca coaxial cable has a stranded connector. This solid conductor is necessary for signal purity of the digital transmission which is at a fairly high speed . I have read numerous posts on this forum of people who said they had sound dropouts as well a their reciever dropping the Dolby digital icon on their receivers display panel during playback. This is most likely due to the fact which most of them stated that they had used a standard analog "stranded wire" interconnect. Equipment manufacturers as well as cable manufacturers want you to use this "solid conductor" for a reason, this is not a "conspiracy" by them to get your money. As I said these cables a highly affordable,as little a $10. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Post Number: 6
To continue, Your right. The cable itself is not inherently "digital". That is not the reason you should buy it. It has a solid conductor within the insulation of the cable and this solid conductor is designed for digital transmisson. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

Post Number: 7
To further add Nathan S. you need to click on the link that Craig Geesly provided in which the engineer stated" Digital transmissions contain low frequency effects which travel along the center of the conductor and high frequency signals that travel on the outer surface of the conductor due to the skin effect- for these reasons uncoated pure copper center conductors are best" In other words he is saying that for digital transmissions a solid not stranded conductor is best. E. Ramsey AAS industrial electronics

GedTheUnknown
Unregistered guest
I came across this page whilst looking for something else - the wonders of google - so I had a look. I would make two comments, the questions tend to be naive and uninformed (which is regretable but perhaps understandable) and so are many of the "answers" (which is unforgivable). If I had the time I would go through some of the posts and point out errors, false assumptions, badly explained truths, and so on.

The moral?

If you want to know something you are best off doing a bit of proper research (the internet is great but reading the manual before rushing into the question would also be good) rather than asking questions which, to be honest, are sometimes so far off the mark as to defy a simple answer.

Beware of the answers you are given, some people are on a ego trip to impress you with their cleverness, some people are genuine, some people are experts, some people are (on the basis of their posts) idiots but how do you tell?

Am I an expert? Some would say so but I don't need to prove it as I am not offering any technical advice.

Well, maybe one bit. Don't assume that it is a good idea to make a connection just because the plug will go in. RCA phono jacks are used for almost any kind of signal, analog, digital, low level, high level, low frequency and high frequency and any combination thereof. It's a pity but there it is. Do your reseach properly first, mostly it just won't work, sometimes there will be damage and just occasionally it will work.

I don't know, never will know, what you think of this post as I doubt I will ever return to this page.

Anonymous

losers!

Username: Bigjezzy

Inglewood, California U.S.A.

Hi. I have a kenwood reciever that is just before pro logic hit the market. What I want to do is use it to play my music on my pc. I have a audigy 2 ZS card. I use it to transfer LP's to CD however I want to use the amp with home speakers just stereo and listen to my CD's and wav files I have stored on my HD. I have an A/V reciever with 7.1 for my home theater so I really don't watch movies at my pc but I listen to quite a bit of music while I work. What do I need to do or what else do I need? Thanks in advance

just wondering
Unregistered guest
I have a computer outputing to a receiver in another room using digital coax. Does anybody know why the signal cannot be split, or anyway to split it. I've tried 2 different splitters, and when I use them the setup no longer works. Any ideas.

broken back
Unregistered guest
howdy everyone. thanks for the good info here. i've got a dvd player/5.1 receiver that was experiencing random audio drop-outs. have been using standard rca analog cable for the digi signal but i'm gonna make my own patch cord with RG6 as someone mentioned above. hopefully that will do the trick. i'll try to remember to post my results here. cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us