Optical digital to coaxial digital conversion

Username: Suppal138

Post Number: 2
I have a dvd player (Panasonic dvd rv22) with the digital output being an optical output. The digital audio input on my bose system (lifestyles 12)looks like a coaxial digital input (RCA). Is there a special cable that I can use, or a converter. Tried radioshack. The guy told me to try the internet!

Username: Jolareq

Post Number: 1
I also looked at Radio Shack, and found nothing. However, I did find this:
http://www.audioshowcase.com/specs/10tr-08300.htm
It's only $18, compared with a very similar model I found for $40. I have the same issue, my XBox has an optical out, and I only have coaxial inputs left on my receiver. Hope that this helps!

Joey

Username: Suppal138

Post Number: 5
thanks. will check it out

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 42
Alternatively, although it's sort of a shot in the dark, if you happen to be wanting 5.1 sound out of your computer, there's a soundcard called "catalina" with optical input. That's $50, so it's only if you need the other benefits it brings to your computer.

Username: Macfan424

Skokie, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Actually, Radio Shack does sell these converters for about $15, even if their clerks don't always know it. They work, as do the ones sold at audioshowcase.com (and lots of other places) with one caveat: Keep the cable length relatively short.

I tried using both converters with a 12' toslink connected to a 6' coax. The Radio Shack version worked intermittently, the other not at all.

I later found a remote controlled, powered toslink switch with built in 4.5db amplifier that worked perfectly using a 15' toslink output. Even though I didn't need them any more, as an experiment, I tried the same converter setups that had failed before and they worked fine using the amplified output from the switch.

My guess is there is probably enough signal loss involved in the conversion to limit the length of cable that can be used, but that either would work well in most setups using normal length cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us