Thinkgeek

Bronze Member
Username: Jessejames

NB, PA USA

Post Number: 73
www.thinkgeek.com

awsome computer case mods... even a car lighter/cup holder!

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 125
yuck, mod your own cases. Mods arent mods unless they are unique.

Unregistered guest
do you know of any website which has useful information for upgrading emachines PC

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
What type of "useful information" are you looking for?

sameersingbal
Unregistered guest
I am having a very noisy eTower 733i pc from emachines. The noise is from the cpu fan. If you disconnect it then sound decreaes by 80%.
The existing fan and sink is 50mm by 50 mm.
I was able to disconnect the fan easily but not the sink.
so i would like to know if there is some website which has info about doing this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Well the majority of heatsinks attach to the ZIF slot in the relatively same way; a metal clip often is affixed to one side of the slot and is then passed through the middle of the sink where it is then clipped onto the other side. On either side there should be a opening or slit in this metal clip where you can stick a flat head screw driver into; place the screw driver into this opening push down and then push out (away from the heatsink) sometimes with relatively considerable force.

I don't mean to state the obvious but you do realize that you can NOT run a PC with out a heatsink, cooling fan, and the correct application of thermal compound?

[Note] While applying force to the heatsink clip make sure you do not slip and stab the board damaging it or any components in the process.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
If noise is your only problem I recommend replacing the current fan with a Vantec Tornado High flow dual ball bearing product. All high RPM fans can be loud and really the best way to control this is to install a variable resistor to adjust fan RPM.

For heatsinks, fans, thermal compound, and other needed supplies at great prices check out www.directron.com

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 597
athlon xp 1900+ palomino
512 mb ddr 266 ram
soyo kt400 dragon ultra
Radeon 9800 non-pro @ 378 core 324 mem

Have been playing NFSU2 for a few weeks and my machine just ain't hackin it. Been thinkin about building a new machine but after doin some research have decided to wait til some of the mobos that support dual PCI express cards come out. In the meantime I was thinkin about upgrading my old processor to a athlon xp 2600+ mobile and maybe play around with some overclocking.

Right now I've got a stock heatsink and was wondering if I could get a decent one for around 20 bucks that could handle some mild oc'n. Its kinda hard to justify sinking much money into this in that I'm pretty limited performance wise with the 266 ram.

Any recommendations?

What if I were to purchase some ram for a future PCIe/athlon64? Any ideas on what would be good and compatible with this kt400 board? It supports 2 slots of ddr 400.

thanks

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 598
here's a couple links to my mobo specs

general:http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=185

memory recommendations:http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=73

Anything decent in that memory list that would also work well on a athlon 64 board(dual channel?)? and maybe be good for a bit of overclocking?

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
Kingston memory is VERY stable and reliable I normally use their heatsinked version for gaming PCs and servers.

For a cheaper decent cooler setup id look at the Cooler Master Jet line; it's a cool looking setup (has a cool guy blinking light and jet engine look) and performs relatively well. ($24.00)

Your old PC isn't hacking it because unfortunately those low bus speeds and low amount of on-die cache with AMD in general lead to a bottleneck in performance; personally I try not to overclock AMD processors due to their nature of running pretty hot already and well heat degrades performance and kills your CPU longevity. Why are you so dead set on building an A64 system fish? Are you one of those anti-Intel guys :-)!?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 599
lol, no. I'm typin on Pent II 400 as we speak. I dunno I always thought you got more bang for the buck with the amd stuff and that they were a lil better for most gaming apps.

The only reason I thought about overclocking was because that mobile 2600+ is the biggest 266 fsb processor I can fit on my board and it seems to be an overclocker favorite. I don't have to oc anything. I just need a stopgap til I decide what I really want.

The 266 memory I have now is kingston. If I replace what I have with a couple 512 mb sticks of kingston ddr400 that soyo recommends would there be any problem using it on a future A64(or p4 :P)?

I don't wanna blow money for memory for the kt400 board unless I can use the stuff on somethin better later on. I mean you don't have to have any special memory to run dual channel do you? just a mobo that supports it right?

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
AMD CPUs do have a great math coprocessor and crunch numbers very well; for the less economically privileged person AMD is a good choice. But if you have a little extra to spend and what great throughput and processing performance Intel is where you want to be. Intel boards are one of the most stable boards you can buy & I love the rapid boot & diagnostics, most of their chipsets are great, their bus speeds are very high, the amount of on-die cache is awesome, their clock speeds are great, and with performance technologies such as HyperThreading and Intel NetBurst micro architecture Intel is definitely in the lead when it comes to task demanding ability.

I mean dont get me wrong I have built and own several AMD machines myself but for my servers, laptops, and high end PCs only Intel technology for me.

As long as the board supports DDR400 you will be straight for the future.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 600
Yeah my board supports DDR400, only problem is it only supports two banks.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/config/modelsinfo.asp

Since the recommended DDR400 512mb Kingston stick is dual bank I'm limited to 512mb total or just one stick.

Does anyone make DDR400 512mb single channel memory? at least something that'll work on my board, and is there any problem with buying one 512mb stick now and another, maybe different 512mb stick later when I get a better system(2 channel operation)?

I want at least 1 gig on any future computer, but it seems kind of a waste to buy 2 sticks of ram now when I can only use one at the moment, but if I would be better off with matching sticks I'll go ahead and do that.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
For the best results it is advisable to stick with the same type of RAM; to further increase throughput it is also best to split up your total RAM amount equally into banks. An example of this is say you want 512 Megs of RAM on your PC; your best results would come from 2x 256 RAM sticks divided amongst the banks. By utilizing separate banks you distribute stored data equally and decrease an otherwise large demand the PC would request from just one obese RAM module.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 601
lol, I went ahead and just ordered a lanparty socket A board, xp 2600+ mobile, a 512 mb stick of ddr400 Ballistix ram, and a vantec volcano 12 hsf. I decided it wasn't worth spending money on my kt400 board.

I would've gotten 2 sticks of ram but that ballistix stuff costs and since I plan on overclockin that 2600+ mobile I needed some good ram. Plus, from what I hear dual channel doesn't help AMD rigs like it does INTEL. I couldn't find anyone that sold matched pairs of that stuff anyways. I'll probably just upgrade with another stick when I get the cash later.

Thanks for your help.

-Fishy :-)

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 602
[edit] should be "Thermaltake Volcano 12"

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 480
good stuff