Linux private cardsharing server

Username: Moe458

Toronto, ON CA

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I would like to setup my own card sharing server. can someone guide me. i have ubuntu installed with ftp and ssh. do i need to attach my dish to my computer with some sort of device or it just runs as a central server with newcamd and ccam etc...please advise...thnks moe.

Gold Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 1057
You'll need an subscribbed receiver to acquire keys, your linux server with the software that you mentioned, a static ip address or ddns (at minimum). The most difficult part will be to write a bin for a specific receiver that will lock on to your server's address using your server's protocol. There are linux/software packages to use your computer to do this on the client end, but it will be much more technical than what most FTA "hobbyists" are capable of doing on their own.

I can't help you any further than this. You will have to use google, sat forums, irc, freenet, etc... to get whatever info that you need to make your bin. Nor do I advocate that you do these things. Blah, blah, blah... and so on and so forth.

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2248
Good answer JB.....Moe this is one of many sites available:
http://cardsharing.us/forum/index.php

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
One more thing, Moe. DO NOT run this server on any soil where there are laws against key sharing. All that it takes is some dude with a network protocol analyzer to find out the IP of your server from monitoring your bin's net connection - then your as good as done. Just share amoungst a few friends or get linux hosting offshore where the long arm of the law can't reach you.

Toronto, ON CA

Post Number: 2
excellent guys. that's what i was thinking of doing just between family nothing outside...i got a nice linux sever so it's cool. i can handle the linux side of things but just was worried about the sat connection to the actual server which i was not sure off. do i need that that's what i was wondering.

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 20274
Moe: You are a bit confused. In the scenario you are seeking and as described by Jason, YOU are the Server, giving out and sharing the service with a few members of family. You are serviced by Dish and their card - you are NOT connected to any outside service. You then share your card with members of your family.

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 20275
"Do I need to have physical connection to the dish"
Yes and no. In a simple set up you may want to have the connection. However, you can have a cheapie PC (about $70 in the used market) connected indirectly to the Dish signals at one ethernet port. This cheap PC (with two ethernet connections) would be then feeding your server via another ethernet port, which can be physically in the same house or you can have a remote server. It is about 12 years since I did such physical and software connections between PCs and bridging between two ethernet cards, and my knowledge is a bit rusty as to the exact details. Plymouth here in the forum could help you with that. I don't think virus knows a thing about setting up home servers.

Costs of Setting up for F&F-server side - You will not be able to justify cost of a remote virtual server (about $40-60 per month) or remote dedicated server - about $200-500 per month.
You will be able to justify a dedicated server at home, which is just a power user PC worth $500 or so. This server is fed by the DN dedicated PC, and in turn serves your F&F group. As long as the group is under 10, the bandwidth usage will be less than the generally allowed by your ISP.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1071
h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox

For your software, you need some piece of hardware that:
1) has an input for your dish/lnbs
2) has a slot for a conditional access card
3) has an ethernet port to spit out keys/commands

now go and read. Zulu and i have given you the means...

Toronto, ON CA

Post Number: 5
Got it all thanks for all your help Cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us