Portable Satellite Options?

Username: Therickydee

Post Number: 1
I tried asking before but I don't think it worked. Has anyone tried to use any portable satellites for DirecTV? I saw one called the VuQube on the Bestbuy site and wondered if it worked very well?

Bronze Member
Username: Yakkydoodle

Post Number: 84
VuQube is good if you're only wanting to get one sat, the main bird at 101. if you have hd also and need to receive all of the dtv sats, it's not for you because it is not designed for hd on dtv.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 13063
therickydee

VuQube work well on DISH Network®, DIRECTV®, Bell ExpressVu and Free-to-Air receivers as well that all HD channels from Bell and Dish Network, DTV HD use the KA-Band and this LNB not work!

You can get many satellites since this thing is motorized!

Don't listen the newbie on above post!

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 16227
DTV sells many various portable dishes for boats, SUV's, RV's campers, etc..even has a sell contained unit w recieve and-dish etc, all in one like a laptop computer..can use it on airplanes etc as well as anyplace..

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P4710096

Not sure how and where ya plan or using this so, guess more info is needed from ya...but the sub owner has many options for portable DTV..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16228
BTW...I know many campers and RV owners who just use a simple old 18 inch round single LNB dish on a simple tripod, aimed at the 101W for DTV...this will get ya most anything ya want when traveling...including all the 380's (major networks- ABC, CBS,NBC, Fox), if ya tell DTV that U are a traveler...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16229
VuQube from Bestbuy...$500...here's one of the reviews...

What's not so great: Very difficult to use. No one seems to know how to set it up.

"The VuQube 1000 sounds likes a fantastic idea for trailer and 5th Wheel Campers. The idea of setting a small cube outside your unit and immediately receiving satellite TV is great. No one in DirecTV or Dish Network knows how to help you start reception. I spoke with 2 techincians at DirecTVwho finally told me this product is never going to work with their HD programming. I called Dish Network and they also said they had never heard of the VuQube. Dish did send a technician to my trailer and he could not make it work. If you read closely, the disclaimers say that it will only work with standard programming on DirecTV. Not exactly how it is porttrayed. The recommended receiver for Dish Network from VuQube is also not a HD receiver. I finally asked the Dish people to just give me one of their portable dishes. It's larger but it's free. I will say that Best Buy immediately and without question took the product back. They are always excellent. VuQube: great idea...bad performance...mediocre representation."

Would you recommend this product to a friend?: No

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
therickydee:

please excuse plymouth. his is a self proclaimed mod and know it all here. he tends to spread misinformation due to his lack of knowledge. most people simply ignore him.

you were inquiring about dtv, not bell or dishnet. the following is a c/p from a respected satellite dealer's webpage. it is the same webpage they sell the vqube on.

HDTV. The VuQube CAN receive HD signal with DISH Network. The VuQube CANNOT receive HD signal with DIRECTV. We are busy working on updating the VuQube to receive the new Ka band HD signal from DIRECTV but not there yet. So, what this means is that if you have DIRECTV you will not be able to receive your HD programming.

the link below is to the page where the above excerpt was taken from. you will find it located about 3/4 of the way down the page.

good luck

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Vu_Cube/vu_qube_v10.htm

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13065
Chopper

""VuQube is good if you're only wanting to get one sat""

It is false because you can preset many satellites in the VuQube!

Learn newbie!

I installed one on my friend Camper last summer!

Take your pills!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
plymouth

for DIRECTV you idiot.... he wasn't asking about bell or dishnet. try getting some english language comprehension skills before you misinform anyone else.

and you can only get one sat for dtv because VuQube is not set up to use a ka band lnb for hd programming. someone could fit a ka lnb on to the dish and use it by swapping lnbs everytime they wanted to go to a sd channel. anyone with common sense isn't going to recommend it to someone without an explanation like you did. it would also defeat the purpose of having a motorized dish. and btw... you do know what ka band is don't you? probably not....

someone can move that dish from here to kingdom come and still only get one sat with directv unless you want to include the handful of channels @119

post counts don't mean a damn thing and you and your girlfriend nylon are living proof of it. you have 13,000 posts and are still as dumb as a rock.......

don't recommend equipment to someone that isn't going to work the way they expect it to and quit wrecking this site with your misinformation.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13067
Doreen aka Chopper

You can't fit a KA LNB on the VuQube for the simple reason that you need a 2'x3' dish to get Ka-Band, the VuQube is too small!

Learn!

The best way for HD is like LK say, use the standard dish for KA-Band or Get Dn!

Anyway! therickydee has never asked for HD!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us