To set a static IP in the KBox

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 16264
To set a static IP in the KBox..

Set it, save, - it often does not work.
Instead of hitting the 'red' save button, click exit, and when prompted "do you want ot save' then you save.. power off the KBox at the back, wait more then 30 seconds, power the unit back up, and cross your fingers.. This usually works BUT sometimes you'd check the network configuration and boom, back at DHCP, or the static IP was different..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16266
With some Bell modems you may get a lot of trouble. try this.

-login your modem/ router. 192.168.2.1

Go into home network - advanced settings.
-Find kbox connection.
-click Application Support

-click enable Application Support
-Select computer (your Kbox, something like devilport)
-click add new user defined application
-give a name (kbox)
-Protocol UDP
-Port or range (if you know what port kbox used enter here, I don't so I put 80 to 1000)
-and click Add Definition
reboot your kbox and khub see if this work.

Silver Member
Username: Sump

Post Number: 653
y
hea nalin, good morning .

here is a thread for you ...

http://www.dssrookie.com/forums/fta-general-discussion/115954-bridge-connection- iks.html

what is not being said but is happening is the guy is trying to get internet from
"others" wifi connection and NO access to router
Most of the time the DNS that you are told to use seem to be problematic ... the 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 those DNS servers belong to Level3 communications.

If you use static ....FIRST choice is to use the DNS that your ISP assigns to your router, which you can get "most" of the time by going into your computers, dos ,window/cmd prompt, and typing
ipconfig /all <enter>

use those DNS servers in the static box on the kbox.

also there are other better DNS servers to use if your ISP's don't work out well.

Next most people in this FTA do not really understand whats really going on about networking. that is "one" of the issues with setting up boxes.
If all is the way is is suppose to be it usually works fine.
Satellite internet is another area that is problematic too.

The reason you get problems saving seems from my expierence that it is not setup correctly, then the box won't save it right because it does not work.

It is simalar in Windows if you have a bad connection Windows defaults to an IP address that starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx that is the tell tale sign that the connection is not right.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16267
I am not in full agreement there.
Some modem routers such as 2-wire supplied by Bell sympatico have many features different from Linksys and other routers.
2-wire modem router.
This one has the ability to automatically hold a IP assigned toa device, e. if it gives out an IP of 192.168.002.009 to your khub, it will hold it whether or not you have switched the device off. Some other routers, will forget the number assigned and then when you switch devices in another sequence you get different IPs assigned by the DHCP of the router!
What I have found useful is that a device such as my Voip ATA which requires to be on all the time, I let it get the IP first before I turn on the other devices. This was needed for some older routers I have such as Trendnet, but is not needed with 2-wire modem/router. If you have an older reouter, then it is best to have your khub on before anything else and always use that sequence.
Most routers will forget the IPs they have assigned if you reboot but not 2-wire. 2 -wire router will only start from scratch if you disconnect the DSL and turn it off and even then I have found that it will retain the assigned IPs often.
Having decided what your rouuter is assigning to khub, you THEN got into your kbox/khub and make that number static, and turn power off and on.
Khubs are some of the few devices available now that are still troublesome regarding obtain IP and retaining it. Perhaps they will come out with a newer version or lose sales to others more sophisticated hubs.
Routers like Linksys, and many others have the ability to selectively make a particular IP static. for that device. Neat.
Really speaking, after a lot of experimentation, I found it best to turn on the devices in sequence that I want to assign their IPs, and then go into the router software and make all of them static. I also like to assign a smaller range for the DHCP to use such as 50-100.
Teh 2-wire Modem also has option to do Application settings. They are a pain in the neck. I found it easier to use the 2-wire to give one DMZ to my old Trandnet and connect phones, receivers and any other device that can be in Demilitarized zone to be connected to the good old Trendnet, leaving my two computers and wireless connection directly on the 2-wire.
I would like to ask other more learned networking guys to say something here. My knowledge is from trial and error.

Silver Member

Post Number: 656
the problem i think if i understand you correctly..

couple things

routers are dum they need to be told what to do.

so if you use an IP address that came form the DHCP pool and made that IP static on a device WITHOUT making a reservation for that IP address and taking it out of the DHCP Pool addresses that has potenial problems.

to avoid it do not use any address in the DHCP pool for static

Silver Member

Post Number: 658
i am cisco certified CCNP

Silver Member

Post Number: 659
also ,,, there are terms thrown around that are getting blurred together but are best understood seperatly ..

Modem ..
Router
Bridge
Switch
Hub

i set these up when they were all seperate. still do.
today they are all in ones and it becomes confusing for some especially homeonwer with not much experience, so simple is better

Yes we have routers an modems of all types, the application adding is what needs to be done for many using xbox, and the like same thing
The router comes stock working for most users to setup computers .

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
the router does know what is connecting it just SEES a request ..

The MAC address is what is being tranmitted so it goes over to the list and checks it
No reservation for that MAC address and bang assignes the next available IP address in the DHCP pool
that address has a Lease time

one of the things that happen when told the reboot the router it clears all those out, the leases and everything works again.

but its set wrong and will happen again

now if you HARD code it as in " reservation"

the router will not forget that that MAC address get THIS IP

what is also going on is the there is ONE IP address and ONE MAC address that is on the WAN side or the router being shared with up to 253 LAN ip's and MAC addresses

Silver Member

Post Number: 661
when we moved from the HUB device into the SWITCH device we made the networks faster

HUBs they were just alll wired together ( basically) and all the devices just shouted at ech other and there was many collisons of packets and the info was lost and needed to be retransmitted cause more loss of bandwith

switch came anlong and started to use different LAYERS of the TCP/IP protical ( 7 layers)
so now advance switchs use layer 2 and 3 so when the switch/router replies to a device on the network it ONLY goes to that port cause it remembers the port number and almost no collisions = fater networks

IBM back in the day used TOKEN ring networks to avoid collisions

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16269
Sump: You did not get my statement that the 2-wire modem/router remembers all DHCP it assigns even after the devices get shut down. So, in effect they become static IPs to those devices. Even a reboot of the modem does not erase the memeory of 2-wire modem/router
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us