Picture issues with Samsung HLR5667W

Username: Mjdore

Post Number: 1
Hey guys...thanks for the site and the opportunity.

I purchased my Sammy HLR56 about 4 weeks ago and I really love the set. One thing that concerns me, though, are some of the red and green 'glowings' that I see in dark settings.

For example, during 'Into the West' on TNTHD the other night a scene inside a teepee was radiant with red and green 'shadows' or 'glowings' where black or no color should have been. Their faces were glowing as well.

I have Comcast and have my Motorola box hooked up to the TV via HDMI-DVI cable. I've ruled out source issues, though, as my progressive scan Sony DVD player sometimes provides the same issues. It's hooked up using component cables.

This is really a thorn in my side right now and, quite frankly, it's the only thing bothering me about the set at this point.

Thoughts? Tweaks to make this go away?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 150
What are your settings?

Mode Standard/Dynamic
Tone normal/warm/cool
Contrast
Color
Bright
Tint

Digital noise reduction on/off

Post Number: 2
I've tried a bunch of different things but I finally bought DVE and attempted to work on my DVD picture. I'm not at home at the moment but my settings are approx:

Mode: Movie
Tone: Warm1 (though, I switch back and forth to Warm 2)
Contrast: jacked up...in the 95-100 range
Color: turned down...somewhere around 40
Bright: down to about 48
Sharpness: turned way down to about 20
Tint: can't control this one
DNR: off

Again, I've tinkered with them a bunch of different ways on both my DVD input (component) and my HD cable box (DVI-HDMI) and I've never been able to make the glowing areas go away. I'm starting to just believe it's a limitation of the TV until the source material catches up....don't know.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 153
You're the second person I've encountered that has seen green color overtones in black or dark scenes. The other guy had a tech come out and replace a color wheel to no avail.

Your DVE derrived settings are very similar to my THX derrived settings only my picture mode was standard and my color tone was normal.

Try switching those two settings and turn off any lights or lamps in the room that may reflect or halo the screen including any window light.

The type of input cable you're using may or may not make a difference. If component (Pr, b, Y), you might check that they are fully seated or try a DVI/HDMI. If your connection is DVI/HDMI you might try component cables to see if there is a difference.

If all else fails call a tech out to adjust the service menu settings.

I hope you can get it figured out. That's a really great set.

Post Number: 3
I didn't think about the light potentially reflecting and causing that. We always turn the overhead lights off and use lamps. They do reflect a bit on the screen. I'll see what happens.

Thanks alot for your input, FYI. This is by no means a deal breaker. More of a minor annoyance. My wife claims she can't even see it.

Great set, indeed.

Post Number: 4
Well...it's not the light. Additionally, I've switched from HDMI to component cables now for my HD cable box and it did very little to help.

The glowing is definitely in the shadow detail. I'm watching 'The Fugitive' on TNTHD as we speak and it's a very dark movie. The dark, shadowy scenes are just red and green glowing. Unwatchable....

Help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us