Newbie Set up

Username: Hendry

Post Number: 1
OK heres what ive got:
OnkyoHT-SR800 HTIB
OnkyoDV-SP404 DVD Player
Panasonic TH42PZ77U Plasma
TERK TV5 Low Profile Amplified Indoor Antenna HD HDTV (with auxillary input for cable)
I plan on using the "free" cable the cable company leaves on in my apartment

So from what I've read online this is my plan, let me know what you think.

Cable line in into Terk Antenna
Terk Coaxial into plasma
Optical Audio from plasma into receiver
HDMI from DVD Into receiver(or direct to plasma?)from what I understand I'll need the audio for the DVD to come back to the receiver via opticalanyway)
Will That do It?
Thanks guys. These newbie posts must amuse you pros

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14557
Have you read the manual?

The HDMI usually negates the need for a separate audio cable. All the signals (audio and video) pass from the DVD player into the receiver by using just one HDMI cable.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2079
­
Cable line in into Terk Antenna
Terk Coaxial into plasma
Optical Audio from plasma into receiver
HDMI from DVD Into receiver(or direct to plasma?)from what I understand I'll need the audio for the DVD to come back to the receiver via opticalanyway)
Will That do It?

The HDMI inputs on your receiver are pass-through only, meaning they are there for switching convenience only. So you might as well run the DVD player's HDMI output directly into the TV.

Usually the optical output on recent model displays are for outputting only the digital audio of TV stations received via an antenna. You will certainly get those via your Terk TV5. But after reading the manual in this display I think it will also output the digital audio coming in the HDMI from the DVD player. If so, then your hookup is complete. If not, then you may have to run a separate digital coax or optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver.
­

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 361
I want "free" cable
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us