PS2 Connection -- Sound Issue

Username: Walt_b

Post Number: 8
I need advice regarding my home movie theatre. The wiring thus far includes behind-the-wall individual Belden component cables, a quality S-Video cable and a 23-foot run of Lindy HDMI>HDMI cable which I hopefully won't regret (contained in conduit bored through the joists for replacement purposes if need be).
My system:
Panasonic AE700U front projector
Panasonic SA-XR70 AV Receiver (digital amp)
Panasonic DVD-S77
Infinity TSS-1100 5.1 speakers
Da-Lite 77" Diagonal Theatre Screen
Monster 14/2 speaker wire for 5.1 surround sound (no plans to bi-amp)
I plan to interconnect as follows:
AVLink HDMI>HDMI cable (3-foot) for the SA-XR70 Receiver and the DVD-S77;
Belden 1505F w/Canare RCA Plugs (9-feet) to connect the Infinity subwoofer to the SA-XR70 Receiver
Here is where I need advice. I want to hookup my son's PS2 to the Panasonic AE-700U projector through the SA-XR70 Receiver. I plan to use either a Sony or Monster Cable component cable terminated at one end with the PS2 unique output connector. For sound, I am considering using a Toslink connection between the PS2 and the SA-XR70, supposedly for maximum audio benefit as posts in other forums have suggested. I've read that the Sony PS2 component cable may be hit or miss if installing it to the video monitor (projector in my case) via an AV Receiver.

Should I even use a Toslink connection for the audio (about a 3 foot run), i.e., is there an advantage in using Toslink for PS2? Also, any thoughts on connecting the PS2 to the AV receiver as to type/manufacturer of cable? Granted, I already have a S-Video cable running from the Panasonic to the SA-XR70, but I think that component connectivity with the Belden Cables (Canare connectors) will be better video performance for the PS2.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 136
From my understanding that's how you will get 5.1 sound out of the PS2. That's why I have the optical on mine. You just have to remember to go into the setup and turn it on.

Unregistered guest
I would suggest using the component ps2 cables. I have used both the PS2 brand and monster and I really could not notice a difference in picture. I also use the optical cable for the audio, and like chris mentioned make sure you turn both the audio and rgb option on in the setup menu. I am not sure if you know also that the ps2 only has 5.1 sound on the cut scenes in the games, not in the actual game play. I usually set it up for pro logic II and it sounds fine. The component cables are really worth it, I have a Samsung DLP and the picture is awesome compared to the standard cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us