Need to pick one- Yamaha RX-V350 OR Sony STR-DE897

Pranab Kumar
Unregistered guest
I am based out of India and hence don't have the luxury of choosing between a wide range of receivers in the sub-$500 category. In India the Yamaha Rx-V350 retails for $330 aprox and the Sony STR-DE897 for aprox $470. I have read a lot of reviews about the two. Since i am a newbie, it becomes harder to spot a winner between the two. Howver ppl say that the Yamaha is better qualitywise while the Sony has 7.1 (YAmaha 350 is 5.1). Also the RMS for both is almost the same but Sony is reputed to not come out with the correct RMS ratings.

I am planning on purchasing the SRS-4600 ONkyo speakers witha Sony DVD player and ONky 107 subwoofer.

Pls let me know which receiver among the two listed above to choose from.

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered guest
hands down the yamaha receiver wins

Username: Crn_vairavelu

Post Number: 2
Pranab, since you are planning to invest some money in your setup, do buy a Yamaha 6.1 receiver. I bought a Yamaha RX-V540 recently and it performs well for music, movies and TV shows. Though there is not much 6.1 content available as of now, this will protect your investment for the future (some latest DVD releases have come out with the 6.1 format). On the DVD player, be careful when buying one. You need a DVD player that would support all-region playback. I believe the Philips DVD player (625P) does that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us