Do different amps sound different?

Username: Matrix121

Post Number: 8
Hello everyone,,
I was browsing this subreddit when I came across a debate involving whether or not different amps sound different when played through equal signal chains.

Personally, before I read this thread, I held the belief that of course they did. When I first got into the hobby, I had an older 90ââ,¬â„¢s 2 channel Onkyo amp, and when I eventually upgraded to a Pioneer SX-727, in the same system, I was blown away at the amount of improvement I noticed. Eventually, when the Pioneer bit the dust, I changed over to a Sony GX-808es, and while I was still pleased with the sound, the signature definitely sounded different than the Pioneer, so much so that Iââ,¬â„¢m confident I could have determined which amp was which in a double blind test.

However, all of the science makes sense to me for why amps should sound the same provided they are operating in their undistorted performance envelope. Iââ,¬â„¢m curious what your thoughts are on the matter.

Thanks for reading!!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3631
Amps differ in the ability to drive REAL speakers thus sound different.

If all speakers were resistive? A group of properly operating amps would be difficult ot tell apart.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us