ISO Receiver for Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 Speakers

Username: Dcholly

Post Number: 1
I bought my AE Evo speakers about 6 years ago. I bought my Yamaha receiver about 20 + years ago and need to replace it. Any suggestions on what receiver I should buy. Do I also need a sub-woofer? I will use the speakers to listen to CDs, DVDs, radio, & TV. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13288
Hi Holly. Whether or not you need a subwoofer is up to you.
Varying signals from tv, cable and radio are different.
Remember that the minimum signal from fm is 40 Hz, which is plenty low on bass, but not a blow up movie.

If you are looking at 2 channel receivers, there is Outlaw, NAD, Rotel and a few more to look at, and most(?) have sub out for lfe for movies, or at least a pre-out for another connection.

Pick your flavour and price.

Username: Dcholly

Post Number: 2
Hi Nuck,

Thanks for your response. I know nothing about Hz or even what a sub-woofer does so I really need some basics. I just want to make sure the receiver isn't too powerful for the speakers or vice versa.

I'm in the States and think you may be listing some UK products as I haven't heard of them. I would like to buy something used via Craigslist (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/ele/) - lots of offerings - Yamaha, Onyko, Pioneer, etc. -- but most are for home theatre set-ups and I only have 2 speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13289
Holly, no products are too powerful for any others to match, it is just how you implement them.
The worst thing to do is power your speakers with a cheap receiver, thats how speakers are damaged at parties, etc.
The models that I named are widely available, as is Harmon Kardon, which is a good brand, IMO.

People are selling these things used for a reason, usually because they aren't so very good for music, as compared to 5 channels for movies.

A subwoofer delivers the lowest bass frenquencies, the ones that tickle your tummy.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 903
Is the yamaha receiver broken ?
If not, I would keep it - if it's CR-series. They sound good - better than today's yamahas.

To the good recomendations already made, I would add onkyo integra, Luxman R-115 or R-117, and acurus.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3791
Sounds to me you want a 2-channel receiver (i.e. a tuner/amp). Anything with around 50 - 60 watts per channel will be powerful enough to drive the speakers you have. However, they all sound different (because different people make them) so your mileage may vary with different brands. You could try NAD's newish C725BEE (http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers/C-725BEE-Stereo-Receiver). I've had good results with NAD/AE pairings in the past.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us