Focal 706V or dynaudio 42 or Mezzo 2 for Marantz PM7200

Username: Clarkzoe

Post Number: 1
Hi,

This is my first time to post on this forum. I hope I could get some good advice from you guys for my speaker purchase. I've been doing some listening test and I heard other speakers like wharfedale evo2 30, MA RS6, BR2, PSB T45, etc. My room is small around 3 x 3 meters thus I am decided to get bookshelf speaker to avoid booming bass level.

Type of music: acoustic, pop, rock, jazz, classical, vocal.

Listening room: 3x 3 meters

Cable: copper
Amp: Marantz PM7200
Source: Undecided yet

Speaker choice:

MS mezzo 2
Focal 706V
Dynaudio 42
Tannoy Fusion 1

I hope someone can help me which one from above will synergize with the PM7200 well. I eliminated tower since it could be boomy in my room. Other speakers are welcome. Also if you can recommend a matching cdp (entry to mid level) for the speaker choice. Thanks in advance! :-)

Post Number: 2
Any suggestion?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6951
Hi Migs your room is about the size of mine...

The Marantz doesn't have alot of juice...I can relate my integrated ain't the most powerful in the world. I recommend buying the one you like the most, only from a dealer with a good return policy. Have you listened to all of the speakers on your list already? If so which did you like the most and for what reasons? What were the sources and amps that you listened to? Lots of variables at play.

With your amp the new NAD 315 cd player would likely sound pretty good...what is your budget for a cd player?

Post Number: 3
Thanks Art for the reply..

From my short-time listening test (around 15 mins on each speaker) I like the dyn 42 first for it's smooth and natural midrange. I liked how the voices sound and how it placed the instruments in space. Then the Focal 706V for the sparkling highs-really liked how the guitar or any string instruments sounds on this speaker. However those were played using different cdp/amp than mine.. For dyn 42 they used plinius amp/roksan caspian cdp combo, and for Focal 706 it was rega planet/cursa/maia combo. I haven't tested my PM7200 amp with any of those as I haven't brought it to the nearest dealer. My alloted cdp budget is 500 USD max.

If I'd chose the Focal 706V, what would be the best (budget) matching cdp/amp ?
For dynaudio 42, would an entry level amp/cdp combo from NAD, ROtel, or Marantz (like PM7200) make them sing like a smooth liquid voice I experienced?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6955
Honestly I think that the Dyn's would be very sluggish with the Marantz. The Marantz is a fine amp when matched well. I think that you would actually get a similar presentation from the Focals with the Marantz to what you heard with the Dyns and the other upper end gear (only not as refined). Just a better match.

CD player...hmm, on a tight budget that new NAD 315 is a fine little deck.

I hope others will be along soon to join us as I would love to hear other opinions.

Post Number: 4
Thanks. How about B&W 685/686 or Monitor Audio RS1, BR2?

From others, any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2975
I'm inclined to agree with Art here on two counts:

1. The Dynaudios have quite a big bass even though they're small speakers. Their bass is bigger than that of the Focals, and it can easily set off a 3x3 room.

2. The midrange and treble of the Focals is quite a bit better extended than that of the Dynaudios. This is why the midrange presence of the Dynaudio is so obvious whereas the Focal is better balanced and more extended.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Frank. I'd like also to know from your opinion which has sweeter treble compared to MA RS1/ BR2? I auditioned MAs before (many months ago) but I couldn't recall which one (focals or MAs) is more forward/ harsher. I read some mixed reviews from Monitor Audios, some liked them for its details and some hate them as they think the tweeter is harsh..

Would Focals a good match with Marantz PM7200? Or is it better with other entry level amps out there? Any recommendation? I am also open to change my amp as I need remote functions as well :-)

TIA

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6960
My guess is that the new NAD 315 series integrated amp and cd player with either the Focls or the MA RS series would sound very nice. You just wouldn't be able to get live concert volumes but who needs that.

Post Number: 6
Thanks Art. I really liked how the voices/ midrange sounds in dynaudio 42 but I liked the treble in focals.. Do you think if I match the dynaudio 42 with much more aggresive and faster amp it can produce sparkling highs like focals?

What I am looking is a sound with midrange of dyns and with sparkle in the treble region and transparency as well. Also, the one with good timing and rythm, especially on the bass region.. fast, tight and involving... I don't know what amp would match with dynaudios as I really like the mids of that speaker, dont know which could add sparkle and speed, timing to this little gems.

Would a 50++ watt rotel a good match to dyns like RA-05/ RA-06? in a 3 X 3 meters room?

Not really sure about NAD as I read some says it's warm and not as fast like Rotels? Please help..

Anybody had experience with entry level rotels + dynaudio 42 in a small room like 3 X 3 meters?

Type of music: jazz, acoustics, vocal, classical, rock and (very few pop music)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2985
As others will tell you, I am not a lover of Marantz electronics. I think they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater, particularly with their latest offerings - not a fan!

Focal's speakers are easy to drive so they match more easily than most. I have used 706Vs with loads of electronics far superior to entry level stuff and they always do well. Anything up to a Naim Nait5i, Cyrus 8vs2, Rega Mira, Arcam A90 will work well. Of course, there's a synergy question. Some may not be as synergistic a match as others, so auditioning is well worthwhile.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 362
My caution would be this. A cheap cdp with that amp, and the dyn 42's might be a bit hot on top. I've read somewhere that less than adequate amplification with the 42's can lead to the tweeter being a tad edgy. Even with a decent amp its character in the upper octives is hotter than some. Same story with some Epos speakers. Some people like this, some not so much. As you mention though Migs, the midrange is very strong.

Migs, is this speaker purchase the beginning of a stereo upgrade, or the end (at least for a while) ? I'm not sure the Marantz should be much of a consideration if in the reasonable future it's up for replacement.

Regardless, the advice you've been given is sound. Listen until you've found the sound you like....preferably in your own home. Don't "settle". I don't have enough of a feel for what "sound" you prefer to recommend some additional options, but it looks like you have lots of ideas already on the table.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Chris and Frank :-)

Yup I have some candidates and some are listed above, also as mentioned last time I am open to change my amp if the new speaker can be maximized with the newer amps out there.. Thus, now I am more on the begining stage in hifi system..I will get speaker + amp first then the cdp will come maybe another few months when budget allows me.

For marantz your taste is true, compared to other amps, I found them a tad slow and not transparent.

For now I will folow your suggestions which is auditioning as much as I can so I can really choose which one I like. I'll keep you guys posted..

Silver Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 125
Keep repeating: "Marantz is slow, not transparent, Marantz is slow, not transparent etc."

In no time you're going to hate the sound.

You may want to try repeating this phrase: "Marantz is refined and musical, Marantz is refined and musical"

It's up to you...sometimes the ears are influenced (read:dictated) by the opinions of others.

As for the transparency the Marantz apparently seems to lack...why did I, as a classical music lover, chose this amp over the similar NAD and Rotel offerings?

Obviously because I wanted a slow and opaque sounding amp...??

Bronze Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 77
I had dyn 42 drove with 30w Rega Brio and they were good in my small room.

Post Number: 8
Hi Nout, All, my Marantz is newly acquired 2nd hand..and I bought it without listening test. I apologize if I didnt mention that in the start of my thread.

We really hear differently and it's my ear and perception that tells that. I was not influenced by others, it's only my observation after few days of assesment and I respect everyone's taste and preference..

Maybe I dont have a capable source and speaker, because as of now I am only using ipod/dvd player, and a cheap speaker.. I just compared the Marantz with my previous cheap yamaha home theater receiver and from my memory I found the receiver faster but too bright - but that's just me.

Post Number: 9
Hi loc, what is the size of your room to be specific? and how is the bass? does it tend to be boomy in average volume listening level?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us