Evaluating Speakers

Username: Kbear

Post Number: 9
Hey all,

I'll soon be heading out to evaluate some speaker and receiver combinations for a new HT and would just like to get some advice on what I should be listening for. My only hi-fi purchase to date consists of buying a mini system a few years back (Denon UD-M50).

At the time I used GN'R's November Rain as a test song, chosen because it's a) a song I know well, and b) a song that has a lot going on (piano and violins at the start, followed by drums and bass guitar, then vocals and some guitar strumming and then distorted electric guitar and the inevitable solo or three.) I figured this song has it all but the kitchen sink, what more could I possibly need?

In your opinions, is this a good choice or bad? I know most of you will probably say take a song you know and like, but is one song with a lot of different elements something that should in theory allow you to really test a system in many areas? To me this sounds logical.

In any case, I tested this out on two sets of speakers, first a pair of Missions (can't remember which). I was quite disappointed in the sound - it sounded like there was a wall between the band and me. I guess it had what could be called a warm sound as higher frequencies were not emphasized, but even the midrange (most noticeable when the drums kick in) sounded too distant. They were dull, they didn't have the crispness I like. I then tried out a pair of Energy C-1s and the wall disappeared. Satisfied, I got the Energys and that's the end of the story.

Looking to test out two speakers specifically, the KEF iQ5 fronts, iQ1 rears, and iQ6 center, and the PSB Image T45 fronts, Image B15 rears, and Image C60 center. I will listen to others for sure, but these are the two I am targeting first. Denon, Marantz, NAD, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, or H/K receiver (whatever I can get for $800 approx, which will probably rule out NAD).

With this in mind, if anyone has any tips that would be great. Please comment on the speakers, types of music to bring, and what are the main things to listen for (i.e. specific instruments, vocals, etc.)

Thanks!

P.S. I'll be adding a record player too, not sure if that impacts any of this (other than the fact I'll be needing a phono preamp).

Bronze Member
Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 69
"In your opinions, is this a good choice or bad?"

Not the expert here, but I hear that using classical music is a good choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 77
Some diversity is always good. Accoustic instruments, some decently recorded pop music, female & male vocals, classical, etc.

On more quiet passages I like to listen for sonic accuracy of instruments, depth of sound, imaging & soundstage, bass and treble extension, etc. On more complex passages, a big test for me is how congested or compressed the music gets, does it muddle up, can I still find specific instruments, etc.

It's hard to find all that in one song, but you could certainly get a good start with 2 or 3 of the right selections. The nice thing about music you're familiar with on your existing system is that you'll recognize when something different pops out at you, like a sound you never heard before, or other little surprises.

But concentrate on what you are going to be listening to most, as that's what it really has to nail. No sense in finding something that shines with acoustic jazz, if you don't listen to jazz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us