Amplifier for 8 ohms speakers

Username: Farshid30

Post Number: 1
I recently took over an existing restaurant that has ceiling mount 8ohms speakers but no amplifier.
There are 13 speakers but only 7 wires, some of the speakers must be connected together serial or parallel.
My question is what kind or if you can be more specific what brand of amplifier do I need.

I am not looking for anything fancy.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10409

I assume high volume is never a requirement in a restaurant. Do you know whether the speakers have a 25 or 70 volt distribution transformer connected to them? If so, you need to buy an amplifier that can drive such a distribution system. Any pro sound shop should be able to supply this type of amplifier. Otherwise, it would be to your benefit to replace all the wiring to the speakers so you know what is there and that it will not cause problems once the finish out of the space had been completed. Connect the speakers to an autoformer type speaker distribution box with volume controls which will maintain a constant impedance and allow individual settings for various areas. The 13th speaker is the odddball and might have been set up as a paging speaker or a mono speaker in a small area. If so, it will require a stereo to mono transformer to opperate properly. All thirteen speakers should be able to be run off a good quality 50 watt amplifier. Get in your local Yellow Pages for dealers familiar with such installations.

Username: Nattie

Post Number: 2
I have an outdoor sound system---3 amps --bass; mid and highs---3 sets of speakers -- 2 18" bass;2 duel 15" 3 way mids and 12 pizeos tweeters--2 crossovers ; 1 eq; and a mixer.
what is the best way to hook this system up for quality sound --also 2 cd player . Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11249

First, it's an outdoor system. There is no "best" and "quality" in the equation. What do you use this system for? Concerts? Poolside entertaining? Driving off raccoons?

Second, how the heck did you acquire this stuff without any idea how to hook it up?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 277
nattie:

(1) How about starting a new thread instead on piggybacking on an existing one? Please just click on the "Start New Thread" link on the top of the list.

(2) That's a heck of a lot of gear for an outdoor system. What do you need all the stuff for?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us