Choose dynaudio, bw or totem

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 83
I own a pair of N805 and have been offered to change at no cost for excellent condition model 1 or focus 140. What would you do?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3268
Buy a ProAc and forget the rest.

Sorry, perhaps I've had too good a time tonight.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 220
lol i miss read that as TEAC

hahaha

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 154
eduardo,

It depends on what electronics you have already. Neither speaker is an easy load and they will let you know. Both speakers need some high quality current to get them singing.

I have had Dynaudio 42's and now Totem Forest's so I can attest.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
If they were to be matched with a krell kav 400?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1379
The Krell will have more than enough power to drive any of these speakers. Are you unhappy with your N805 speakers? If so, then it's worth considering. Are you being offerred the Model-1 or Model-1 Signature? The Signature is quite a bit better than the Model-1.

Personally, of all those I would choose the Model-1, even the original, but I like superfast monitors. Any chance that you can have a proper demo to A/B all the options? That would be best.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
I want a better low frq reponse and so far i beleive 805 is the weakest of the 3

Opinions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
eduardo,

Have you looked into the Mani 2's? Also you may want to take your Krell to the shop that has the speakers you are auditioning. The sound may be a bit too sterile with the Dyn's or Totem's.

My two cents worth.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1382
If you're after bass, the Mani-2s are awesome, but they're very difficult to drive. You need to try before you buy.

The N805s are a little light in the bass department but I don't think the Model-1s are much better in that respect. They're very fast, but I'm not sure they go that deep.

Dynaudio's FOCUS140 go deep, as do their FOCUS220. Both fine speakers. It's a difficult choice all told, and one that you'll have to make after a decent demo or two.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2662
I really might like to see where the ProAc line fits into the discussion.
I am new to the line, and the test #'s look to be very good.
But we don't listen to #'s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Nuck,

I recently auditioned a pair of Proac Response d15's with a Naim Nait 5i. To my ears the midrange was too forward and the highs sounded rolled off. Naim and Proac are supposed to have great synergy.

You should go and audition if you haven't already and decide for yourself if that is the sound you are looking for.

I could probably learn to love the Proac's but am not a big fan of the Naim house sound.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1390
Nuck

I'm not a fan of ProAcs. they're nicely made and they don't break etc., but sound-wise I find them a bit mechanical. They never engage me, and that's pretty much true of most of the range. Technically good but no emotion...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Any link to read specs, price and reviews on ProAc bookshelf speakers?

Thanks

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3318
I respectfully disagree with Frank about ProAcs. I have spent the last several days doing extensive auditioning of standmount speakers and find that with the right electronics and cabling nothing beats a ProAc at getting the inner meaning and detail of music as right as they do. The model I chose is perhaps a little less neutral and a bit more lively than the usual ProAc and is fabulous for any genre that I throw at them. Having taken my music everywhere and listened to just about every critically acclaimed 2 way standmount I can find I can say with confidence that the ProAcs meet my needs like NO other. I felt that Totem line was very nice and would likely have been my second choice.

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2719
Frank, what would be your choice of music to listen to the Proac's on?
I fear our tastes may differ, and opinions thus.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2720
Art, can I presume that SRV was not on your listening list?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2721
Guys, when we add our opinions on speakers, we really should add our listening references and preferences.
Add jazz, classical, rock, early rock, metal, thrash, whatever.
So many good remarks about so many make might be confusing, at least to me, and maybe others.

Let's maybe add the source music to the thread?

Canadian Beer.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3319
Oh Mr Nuck you have been presuming again...No I didn't take SRV with me for auditioning but bein's I own a bit of his music I would not buy a speaker that couldn't reproduce good rock, blues, and funk.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2732
I would never underestimate your palate, Art.
I put the prospect out for all to peruse and consider, as a point of reference(sic) for us all.

Hows 'couldn't stand the weather' sound out west?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1410
Nuck,

My taste in music is eclectic. It would be easier to say what I don't listen to, which would be C&W and house/garage, but anything else is game and I never give an opinion unless I have tried something with most genres (i.e. various classical, rock/pop, jazz).

Art, I appreciate that you love your new ProAcs. I'm very glad that this is the case since you've bought them. Also, I haven't heard them with the Prima Luna which I know is a little warm. This may suit the ProAcs' character therefore. And yet, it's said that proAc and Naim are a good combination which has not been my experience. In a sense it's nice to see an alternative view. After all, life would be most boring if we all liked the same thing, so feel free to put your oar in every time I trash your ProAcs! :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2809
Good post, Frank.
For me, drop the classical and opera and add garage.

One man's ears are another man's feet.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3337
The Studio 110's are a new speaker for ProAc and I think a bit of a different sound for them. More fleshed out and full. This speaker flat out rocks and still has the finesse for my jazz and classical. BTW so far it has been my experience that the ProAcs and the Prima Luna are not a good match and so tomorrow I will be bringing home a Simaudio Moon i-3 integrated for an audition.

Tuesday I did another extended audition of the Totem speakers and compared them to the Paradigm, Joseph Audio and Aerial lines. Totems are nice speakers and I know the man responsible for bringing them Portland, he still owns a pair.

I preferred the Totem's to the Paradigms but not to the Aerials. The problem with the Totems is that the upper registers though extended and detailed don't sound like the real thing to me. I still prefer my ProAc's to all but the Aerial's. Aerial starts at about 3k and is thus out of my price range.

Frank I totally agree, the world would indeed be a boring place if we all liked the same things. Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us