Best slim speaker set?

Tavish
Unregistered guest
I am building a projector HT setup and like the idea of having slim speakers wall-mounted to the left and right of my screen (with the center channel on top as well). I know that by choosing slim, wall-mountable speakers I will be sacrificing sound quality. But can anyone out there recommend some slim, attractive, wall mountable speakers that also have decent sound quality? Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 820
There are more and more of these types of speakers being made all the time and you do not need to sacrifice sound quality. A good example is the Def Tech Mythos series. Not cheap, but very nice. Polk and many others make these also. There was a review of several brands in Sound & Vision a couple months ago and I will try to give you some info on that later when I am nome and can lay my hands on that issue.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 822
The article I am refering to is in the January issue. You can find it in the archive section at soundandvisionmag.com.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 151
Or you could consider the new Elac pipes, or the Jamo 355s. Both fine speakers designed to go next to plasma screens on the wall.

Tavish
Unregistered guest
Great, thanks for the link. Does anyone else out there have any recommendations for a stylish, slim speaker set?

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 51
Magnepan

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 109
Magnepan does have some flat wall mounted H/T speakers

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 921
+1 Magnepan.

Epic
Unregistered guest
The Mod2 Orbs (Orb Audio) look pretty slick next to a thin TV.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 609
The Maggie MMG's.....................

Tavish
Unregistered guest
Cool, I checked out the MMG's and they are exactly what I am looking for...very stylish AND affordable. I read up on some reviews and it looks like they perform pretty solidly as well. My only concern now is picking out a receiver to go with these. The FAQ on their website says that the power rating at 4 ohms is the most important thing to look at when picking out a receiver. So I have looked around but haven't been able to find specs on 4 ohm capacities.

Can anyone recommend a good receiver to match this speaker set (4 MMG W's and MMG C center channel)? Also, is it necessary to have a receiver AND an amplifier, or will the receiver sort of perform double duty there (sorry, I am a complete newbie at this stuff)? Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 111
How much you willing to spend? With the money you are saving on speakers, a Carver sunfire or a midrange B&K receiver would drive them and then some.

Tavish
Unregistered guest
I am not looking for anything too fancy. As long as it can put out 100 watts to each speaker and allow for multiple room output, then it should meet my needs. If I have separate (powered) PC speakers that I run through the receiver, I want it to be able to output on all channels simultaneously. Should I be concerned about the Ohm power rating? Magnepan's site states that the speakers have a 4 ohm impedance, and I'm not really sure what that means or how it affects the receiver I should purchase.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 610
Tavish,

It is imperative that you select a receiver that will drive a 4 ohm speaker. Make sure it will. BTW, the MMG's not only look stylish, but they sound great too. A definite bargain at the asking price. Cheers!

Username: Noodle

Beaverton, OR USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like I will definitely be going for the Magnepan MMGs. So now it's just a matter of finding the right receiver...

::shuffles off the Receiver forum::
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us