Yamaha shopping

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
Is there any substantial difference between the HTR 5790, the v14/1500, and the v24/2500?

The only difference I see is the price and a few watts per channel. Other than just wanting to have the "latest and greatest", what can I do with the more expensive models that I can't do with the 5790?

anon12
Unregistered guest
a lot of people here in this borad will tell you that you can do better than yamaha. i for one love them along with the other brands like pioneer elite and marantz and nad just to name a few. the 5790 and the 1400 are the same execept for the cosmetics, and different power ratings but other than that nothing. now with the new 1500/2500 you get a improved version of the ypao, a high power rating (which means jack) and that's all i can think of. If you want you can go to audioholics.com and look for the the CEDIA press release. it has all of the new receivers. also look at the marantz line of receivers. they are better than some of the yamaha receivers.
also look into the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K for $499 at Best Buy.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 734
The one thing the 2400/2500 has that the others don't that I like is the inclusion of a rec out selector. The best way to compare these receivers is to go to the Yamaha website and look at the comparison chart. The important factor should be what speakers you have and your budget.

Username: Egreen1976

Mount Vernon, NY United States

Post Number: 4
I am in your same boat with a similar budget and I can tell you this. First prioritize what matters to you most and what features u can't live without. Also consider what features you may use later on. Such as compnent video switching. That will greatly help you. In some way you will always be making a trade off. For example i like the yammy rxv-1500, rotel 10XX?, and denon 2805/3805. Rotel sounds best hands down, but a tad short on some features, and was at the extreme high end of my price range. The Denon and Yammy are comperable, Denon lil more expensive, but i have good experience with Yammy.The Yammy has THX select BUT the denon has 3 component ins which i see myself needing int he next 2/3 years. So while i would like it all you must compromise in tis price range. This is the close but no cigar price range. Most of the other responders will give you their personnel soud preferences.

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the responses. This will be for home theater only...don't really care about multiple zones or playing music. I'll have Axiom speakers (M60 mains). I don't need deafning sound as my room is only about 450 square feet. I plan to have a ceiling mounted projector, a DVD player, coax, and possible a game console hooked up to it. I don't want to skimp, but don't need a bunch of unneeded extras just to impress my buddies either.

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
So I've checked out the specs and the comparison charts on the Yamaha website as suggested above. It further confirms my belief that 5 of their receivers (5790, v1400, v1500, 2400, and 2500) are damn near identical. I submit that I could invite 100 experts over to sit in my media room to watch movies and nobody would ever know which of these receivers I was using to power the system.

I was prepared to spend up to $750, but I gotta go with the 5790 for just over $500. Any more would appear to be a waste of money.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 739
If you are going to use this receiver for movies only then you are making the right choice as the DSP's, DAC's and power supplies are the same in all these models. Are you sure that is all you want to do with this receiver even in the future?
The only other consideration then would be appearance and IMO the 1400/1500 etc have a much nicer look, but is it worth the extra money?

hoosierhooch
Unregistered guest
I'll watch movies, watch football games in HD, and perhaps hook up the Playstation for my boys. That's it. Music will be handled by another system. And I really don't care what it looks like.

Unregistered guest
To all
I have a Yamaha HTR 5790. It replaced a Harman Kardo AVR 7000. Icannot get the 2nd zone functional. I have it hooked up according to the manual etc. i have a 2nd Yammy with a Pioneer Elite 100 CD changer that comes into the 5790, but I don't know or cna't figure out how to get the 2nd or 3rd zone to play. Also, I cannot get my sub, an old JBL working. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 344
hoosier....I would suggest that you also take a look at the Kenwood Sovereign receivers at www.ecost.com
I picked up a refurb Vr5700 for $480, check the specs and you will see that it has a lot to offer as long as you don't need power for 7 channels, this receiver can handle 7 but only powers 5
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us