Amp for Alpine SPR-17S speakers

Username: Rbond

Guatemala CityGuatemala

Post Number: 1
Hey all!

I have a huge dilemma with choosing the adequate amp to power the Alpine SPR-17S speakers. Here are the specs:

* Sensitivity: 87 dB
* RMS Power Range : 110 Watts
* Peak Power Handling: 330 Watts
* Frequency response: 65-27000 Hz
* Diameter: 6.5 Inch

As you can see, its not a very "efficient" speaker with a sensitivity of 87db. Taking this into account I was thinking of powering it with RF T600-2 (200w RMS per channel).

What do you guys think? Is it overkill (200w RMS amp powering 110w RMS speakers)?}

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 188
I'd be careful overpowering those speakers. If you go with a sealed enclosure, that is more on the middle to smaller specs of enclosure size, they could probaly handle up to 150 rms each, so a 300 rms amp might suffice. However, it will be crucial to set the gain correctly and not add too much bass/boost from the HU while playing them.

Username: Tkzone

Clearwater, Florida USA

Post Number: 4
Are they dual voice coils and what impedance bro?

Clearwater, Florida USA

Post Number: 5
Good answer shawn and an a/b class amp like that will only put out 50 or 60% of that rating you will be fine with that amp.

Clearwater, Florida USA

Post Number: 6
Hey rishi these speakers arent subs right? You will be ok and 87db is an averag sensitivity rtng.90 is nice

Guatemala CityGuatemala

Post Number: 2
Yeah Kalzone! These are a set of 6.5 inch component speakers.

So you do think I would be OK? OK great! I was originally going to go with a JL Audio Slash v2 300/2v2 which puts out 150w RMS but I saw that for $24 more, I could get the RF which puts out 200w RMS. What do you think? Do you think this is a well assessed decision? Or are JL Audio amps WAY better than RF?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 193
JL amps are better yes.

Guatemala CityGuatemala

Post Number: 4
I have another question...

I have been trying to find a "formula" to relate speaker sensitivity to watts needed but haven't found anything.

For example:

*87 db speakers @ 100w RMS require 140w RMS to be properly driven
*90 db speakers @ 100w RMS require 120w RMS to be properly driven

Has anyone ran into something like this? Or does the manufacture already take that into account when they give the speakers RMS value?

Bronze Member

Clearwater, Florida USA

Post Number: 11
Mark there is no such formula but this page will hopefully clear up your questions so check it out and get back with me http://www.trancendentssound.com/amp input sensitivity and gain.htm sorry no direct link im on my junk mobile

Bronze Member

Clearwater, Florida USA

Post Number: 12
/link http//www.trancendents sound.com/amp inputsensitivity and gain.htm

Guatemala CityGuatemala

Post Number: 8
Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts