Someone explain this to me

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12598
i hear some people say the ice bergs are melting, causing ocean level to rise. my question is, why is it when you have a glass of ice water, and the ice melts, the glass doesn't over flow?

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 388
lol because i think the volume of the ice transfers making no change but do this.. take a water bottle fill it to the top freeze... then let it thaw out.the bottle will be expanded, and will over flow.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2362
Cause the ice displaces the water as soon as you put it in. If you were to stake ice cubes over the rim of the glass, Aslo, If you froze a cubic foot of water, it would become larger as a cubic foot of ice.
Which begs the question, Well if the ice melts, shouldnt the oceans shrink?....

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12600
thats what i was thinking. but if you watch that movie "the day after tomorow", the scientist says due to the polar caps melting the ocean level got higher.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 253
Mass is created nor destroyed. How ever much water is used to make that ice, whenever it melts, the same amount of water will be put out.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2415
"Mass is created nor destroyed. How ever much water is used to make that ice, whenever it melts, the same amount of water will be put out."

That's wrong lol...I believe it's "Energy is neither created nor destoyed."

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1156
This is an ongoing theory that many scientists are trying to prove/disprove. You are correct, floating ice displaces the same amount of volume as melted ice. But they aren't talking about the ice that is in the water, they are talking about the massive "ice shelves" that are being melted by global warming and are sliding into the ocean, displacing volume and causing the sea level to rise. Even a few inches in certain oceans will be catastrophic.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2416
Yep,the fun times are still to come.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2364
Well, here goes. If an Iceberg, Not a shelf, an Iceberg is submerced in the ocean, and it is 90% under water, 10% out of the water, shouldnt the iceberg acually displace more water as a solid then a liquid? And when it melts, have a smaller volume footprint in the ocean?

If you have 1 gallon of frozen water, put it into a tub and fill it with 9 gallons of water so that the water is just at tubs rim, but not overflowing. Now as the ice melts from a solid to a liquid wont the waterlevel go down, because water expands as it freezes, hence taking up more space.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2758
Technically molecules contract when frozen and expand when heated. This is why if you put water in ice trays and feeze it for a long time the cube would have shrank. Now melting ice caps would cause that water to expand not to mention the rate of evaporation would rise causing mass flooding via rain/storms, etc and effectively overflowing moving water banks..Fact..Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2417
I wouldn't think so. If all the ice is submersed...it should stay the same if it's already displaced it. If some isn't submersed and it surpasses the volume equivalent of water...then it will rise.

Gee why am I even posting

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6258
Disruption of the gulf stream by the melting ice has an effect also. Without it, warm air from the gulf is restricted=colder temps.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2759
If it melt it would evaporate and end up in the oceans regardless if on land or not, levels would rise... Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 535
polo is the man! i agree n' wat he said up there makes sense n' would seem to be right

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1187
^^^ LOL! While I agree, all they basically did was expand on what I initially said, which was:

This is an ongoing theory that many scientists are trying to prove/disprove. You are correct, floating ice displaces the same amount of volume as melted ice. But they aren't talking about the ice that is in the water, they are talking about the massive "ice shelves" that are being melted by global warming and are sliding into the ocean, displacing volume and causing the sea level to rise. Even a few inches in certain oceans will be catastrophic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us