Amp Ratings for 12 or 14.4 Volts????????

Bronze Member
Username: Cnc837

Norman, OK USA

Post Number: 19
I've noticed in the fine print that most amps are rated for 14.4 volts so they can mark their wattage higher. Most vehicles run on 12 volt batteries right? So i'm guessing theres no way to run the amp at 14.4 volts if your battery is a 12 volt? Any comments or Advice?

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 227
Im not quite sure but from what i have read on here that your alternator will put out 12 volts at idle and 14 volts at a higher rpm range. I might be wrong so you might want to do a lil research or use the search button in here.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3769
Your alternator will put out 13.2v - 13.8v on the average. From there, it'll drop all the way to 12.5v (your battery) depending on your current draw.
If you have HO alternator, you'll get 14.4v even at idle speed.
If that doesn't apply to you, then look for amps that are rated for 12.5v.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3383
If your looking at higher quality companies to begin with, you won't have that problem. Anything lower end is rated at 14.4 volts, so they can squeeze out the biggest numbers they can.

"So i'm guessing theres no way to run the amp at 14.4 volts if your battery is a 12 volt? Any comments or Advice?"

When your car is running, all the current is supplied by your alternator, as long as it's pushing out over 12.5 volts. The battery acts like a filter while the car is running, and whenever the alternator is putting out over 12.5 volts, then the batter is also charging. When your driving down the road, then yes you may be getting 14.4 volts to your amp.

With your car off, the sole source of current is your battery, which is 12.5 volts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us