Glass

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 270
I am wanting a fatter sound for my components up front and is there a decently priced tube amp you could recommend for them (like us amps etc)

the speakers are eclipse's top of the line components 6.5"

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6943
US Amps makes pretty much the only decent tube amps I can think of that aren't in the four figure price range.
what are you driving them with now?
how much power?

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 271
eclipse 33230 with approximately 120w each

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6948
make/model of amp?

it may not be the components that are lacking really. you may want to consider adding midbass drivers to fill in and warm up the sound between teh mids and your subs.
it's most liekly that or a need to readjust crossover points and slopes between mids/subs

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 272
the amp is the eclipse 33230

the sound from the components is by no means bad, i just like the warmer sound, the sound is better than that of the perfects but i love the warm sound

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6954
oh, I was thinking that was the component model.. heh I wasn't thinking apparently.
yeah ok.
that amp should be plenty of power. you may just want to either add an EQ like the audiocontrol EQL (fairly inexpensive) so you can warm up what you already have a bit, or add some midbass drivers to the system with appropriate passive filters to cross them over, cutting off your midranges around 500Hz, and letting the midbass drivers go from 500Hz down to about 50Hz.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 276
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5740383826

how would this amp do on the components?

or would this be enough power?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1498%26item%3D5740768023% 26

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 280
and as a cheaper solution what about just adding some 6.5 kicker ss midrange speakers ?

http://www.kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?filename=04kickerss.html&menu=MIDTWEET

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 281
or even the 8" ss midbass speaker
would hte combo of the 8" ss the 6.5 eclipse and the eclipse titanium tweet make my own ghetto dyn 360 component system lol and does anyone have a clue as to how that would sound?

and what sort of amp would be needed for that creation lol

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6994
adire's koda 8" midbass drivers would work well as what you need between the eclipse comps and the subs.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2886
Also, about the Tube amps, Butler makes excellent tube amps, haven't seen pricing lately so I can't tell you how much they are.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 290
I think butler and brax are usually pretty high but I will check them out

so theoretically if i got the koda 8" it would work ? Am i going to need an eq or an extra crossover and what amp would be able to run the 6.5 8 and tweet nicely?
doesnt have to be a brand just specs so I can start hunting...

If this works I will def have to buy you guys a drink of your choice and send it off to ya

although both of you have highbrow taste so that might get me into trouble lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2888
Yep, the koda 8 would add a good bit of punch to the system and warm things up. It also depends on what you describe as "warmer". Midrange warmth, or more in the midbass region? Is that tweeter harsh, or even just a little bit bright? You could consider dropping the level of the tweeter a tad, it would make the mid stand out a bit more. Either a different mounting location or adding a resistor in series with the tweeter may help. Titanium tweets tend to be on the bright side. You'd need a dedicated crossover for that 8", crossover type will depend on if you plan to have an amp just for the Koda 8s or if you want to run those off the amp you currently have. EQ will help too, but it depends on what kind of EQ you currently have as well.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 291
The tweeter is a bit bright it doesnt sound bad by any means but it just isnt in proportion with the midrange and these will definetly even it out from the sound of it on the adire website, plus they are priced well

Would it be wise to keep my current amp on the components and just buy a 300 watt amp for the 2 8's

and where should they be placed for the best result i.e. near the components or in the back

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2890
I'd recommend a seperate amp for the 8s, IMO it's better to give them a little more power. The reason I was wondering about the tweet is because of the reason above, plus the fact that if you're going to get the Koda while the midrange is already lacking, essentially you'll have a tweeter that's a little too bright for your taste AND an 8" that is capable of being louder than the mid as well. Worst case scenario is that you get too little midrange, a tweeter and a midbass driver that overpowers the midrange, resulting in a "smiley face" curve that isn't well balanced. I'd personally recommend trying to make the best of what you have for starters, such as fooling with tweeter location, possibly moving it closer to the mid, and angling so it isn't directly toward you to remove some of the brightness and try to get a little more balance with mid/tweeter transition. It's free and will make sure that if you decide to get the 8s in the future, you'll be better prepared for them. You may even come out on top and find you don't even need 8s, you never know until you try, right? If you haven't sound deadened your door, you can try to improve on that and seal up as many holes as possible, this will improve midbass and lower midrange performance.

Silver Member

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 293
Cool, I will try that first. I have dampened my trunk but not my doors, I was hoping I wouldnt have to rip them apart since its a new car, but i may as well try it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us