Help with Infinity Kappas

Bronze Member
Username: Angelofdeath132

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 47
about 8 years ago i bought the Infinity Kappa 5.25 components,(the green ones). anyway, got married, had kids....you know the rest. took them out of the car and they've been stored away. getting back into car audio finally again and would like to get them going. but over the years i've thrown away the spec. sheet for them. i need an amp to run them but not even sure anymore what their RMS is or even how big of an amp to go with :-( can anyone help me????????? would like to go with a JL amp if possible.

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 48
how about the JL 300/1?

anyone???????????????????????????????????

Bronze Member

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 49
sorry, i meant the 300/2

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 14
that is what I might be planning on getting ... well, right now it is mb quarts... but im going to hook those components up to a 300/2 ...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1738
Mark, no Infinity component set that has come out, even the newer Perfects, are rated to take 150W+ RMS such as from the JL 300/2. Remember that it never hurts to have too much power IF you're careful, but you probably won't ever utilize it. I believe they were rated at 90W RMS, but I can't remember. If I were you I'd give them about 100W RMS.

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 15
which components can take about 150w?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1742
Depends on your budget and what you like. Like I said above, having too much power isn't a bad thing if you're smart enough not to mess something up, it can allow a lot more headroom, lower distortion, and better transients. You'll also have less heat at the same power level. When an amp isn't straining to produce power, you'll get better SQ. You'll see a lot of SQ guys running 300+ RMS amps on 100W components, they're just very careful with the amps, and they don't have problems. My recommendation would be to choose your components based on what you like, even if they're rated to take less power than the amp you're going to get, they'll be ok if you are careful not to mess them up, if you hear any distortion, back off the volume. Any component set that can take 100W+ should work well with that amp as long as you're careful. You could also consider a JL 300/4 if you want less power on the components, then use the rear channels for either rear fill or midbasses up front.

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 16
How about Phoenix Gold Xenon X6.5's ? They are rated at 150rms w/ 300 peak... Are these good speakers and would they sound nice combo'd with the jl 300/2 amp ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1747
ehh, not that crazy about PG's stuff, I like the Kappas much better. CDTs are great and are rated at 150W RMS, look into those. How much can you spend on components? There are a bunch that will work.

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 17
well, im going to be buying a whole system... subs ... everything ... and since im going to get a seperate amp for the components, i dont want to waste wattage from the amp, and since JL is underrated, i suggested those PG's because they were 150rmw while 300 peak... right up the JL 300/2's alley :D ... what else would you recommend?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1753
How much are you willing to fork out for components?

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 18
at most 400

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1771
For that price range, CDT classic or HD's would work very well with 150W RMS. You could also consider the JL audio XR or ZR components and the Diamond Audio HEX series.

Bronze Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 21
those JL XR650-CSi components look really good. I originally was planning on some mb quart component rce-216's, but these look nice. Question though, Power Handling: 70W Continuous then say,
Recommended Amp Power: 25 - 150 Watts ? If it is receiving 150w from 1 of the 2 channels of the JL 300/2 amp, then isnt it going to be getting 150rms? 150 > 70, last time i checked..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1775
I've given the JL's a 300/2 w/o any problems at all. JL underrates their components, hence the recommended power of 25-150 watts RMS.

Bronze Member
Username: An_eagalach

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 20
CDT's were mentioned above, plus a $400 budget for your comps. I shopped around online and got CDT Euro Sport 630's for $427/pair. You might think about that as an option. They are great speakers, and 150w per channel would do them just fine.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1797
The Eurosports are VERY good components, IMO better than the JLs by a pretty good amount. If he can find the Eurosports for around $400 he'd def. be a happy camper. HDs are very good components as well.

Bronze Member
Username: An_eagalach

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 21
At http://www.mmxpress.com/cdtaudio/eurosport.html the 2003 models of the CDT ES 630's are selling for $494.99, including shipping. There are several web retailers with a matching or "we'll beat any price" policy. I went to thezeb.com, presented my case with the above page, and the price they gave me was $427. To drive them got the PPI PCX 2125 (the old PPI, before Directed bought them out and dumbed them down), 125w x2, very clean, for $349 at the same site. Both the CDT's and the PPI's retail for about $700, so it really pays to surf 'n' shop around.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us