Archive through January 05, 2005

Anonymous
If I use an optical out as my only audio connection from my DVD to DTS/DD receiver, will I get all audio sent, or will I have a problem with older DVDs or CDs/MP3s that I want to play in my DVD player that may not be digitally coded. (in other words, does an optical audio cable act as an RCA for non digital) I have RCA outputs on the DVD, but would like to minimize "cable cluter". Is it the same for a digital coax cable?

po
Uh, all DVDs, CDs/MP3s are digital no matter how old. That's the whole point of DVDs, CDs and MP3s. They will all be sent on the optical or coax cable. You're fine using the one connector.

If you can find an analog CD, let me know, hehe.

-po

Anonymous
Ok so Im not as much as a geek I'd think I am..but thanks..just wanted to make sure....

keith bushell
Unregistered guest
I would like to record some audio clips from my dvd's to minidisc via my playstation 2, I have tried connecting my minidisc recorder to the ps2 with the optical lead but it doesn't record, the information I had said to make sure that Optical is set to On in the system preferences but I am not sure what that means...any ideas please ?

Anonymous

What is the longest distance you can run an optical cable without an amplifier? I need to go about 30'

Anonymous

Is there a signifigant difference between a coaxial and optical connection ?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 374
its a matter of preference but the significance can be none to day and night, depending on the person

Username: Bigbo

Post Number: 1
Berny, that's not really helpful. I'm staring at two unopened packages, one 6 ft digital coax cable and one 6 ft digial optical cable. These packages are not easy to cut open. Which one should I tear into and which one should I return to Best Buy?

I have a Toshiba DVD player with both outputs and a Sony STR-DE695 A/V receiver with both inputs. HOWEVER, the receiver manual says "We recomend making coaxial connections instead of optical connections" for DVD players. How much do I have to know to watch movies on my tv?

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
okay, well, i've heard it described differently. But for the most part, people tend to describe the coaxial digital as a little warmer, whereas, the higher frequencies are less pronounced without loss of clarity and detail. The optical cable claims to have no signal degradation and no loss. Some peole have described it as being a little too bright, meaning the higher frequncies are too pronounced. You can actually use both. Oh boy, I'm still no help, huh!?! I use both, I love that wretched excess...there should be no signal loss at all on any which one until you get to a certain length and that is where the coaxial cable shows its weakness. Unless you are really into the high end stuff, I'd go with what the manufacturer recommends.
cheers

Username: Bigbo

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Berny. I can tell that was hard, but you got there. I just knifed open the coax box and can't wait to crank it up.

Jon G.
Unregistered guest
I just got a Sony STR-DE595 AV receiver and I have a Toshiba DVD player that has both Digital Optical and Coaxial outputs, as well as RCA. I tried connecting just the optical, but didn't get any sound from the DVD. Then i hooked up the RCA and got 2 channel sound. Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I thought I could just use the Optical. Thanks

someguy
Unregistered guest
Jon G. - Check your dvd player settings and make sure the sound is being sent out to the Optical.

kevinc
Unregistered guest
is there a digital coax to digital optical connector available?

Anonymous

Kevin: Why would you wanna do that? Like the previous posts state, use one or the other or both. Out of curiosity... Why are you thinking of converting? In order for the Receiver to receive a Optical signal the Output (DVD, etc.) should also be outputing Optical. If the unit only has Coax then it is limited to that output only. Hope I made sense.

Username: Kjrseattle

Alpine, UT

Post Number: 3
How could any sane person say that a digitial signal sounds "warmer" on coax? What -- is the electon ovid, or copper colored instead of bronze to make the difference? Unless you are losing data from poor connections, poor equipment, poor shielding, excess interference, etc. the bitstream from a DIGITAL coax is IDENTICAL to one from an optical cable. So, my "guess" is that the amp will process the same bitstream without prejudice and produce an IDENTICAL output. Now, Analog, is a different story. Blind tests show that a few people can actually distinguish between different cables, plugs, etc, in some cases. However, in almost all cases, if the test is truly blind, a round 50% of the testees will pick the cheap one as the better. Sure, you need good cables, but you don't need a speaker cable that will carry the full current load of your entire house. The only "warmth" is the smiles of the people that sell a $10 cable for a $100 as a "Monstrosity Cables" and pocket the profits.

Username: Kjrseattle

Alpine, UT

Post Number: 4
Follow up on digital optical vs digital coax: some comments and one question. If there is any difference in sound you have interference problems, bad connections, or a problem with your equipment. The real differences are mechanical. Coax is more susceptible to RFI or other interference, but is more flexible and the plugs usually stay in better. Optical is imperviouis to RFI or other electrical interference but is less flexible -- you could damage your cable when you push your system against the wall and bend it too sharply. Also, optical cables are more likely to jiggle loose and are subject to damage if you scratch the end connectors where the laser signal couples to the equipment. QUESTION: does the toslink connection use a checksum to verify accuracy of the bit stream like a network protocol does? If so, does it retransmit if bits have been lost. I heard that optical cables increase the likelihood of "jitter" in the signal, that makes it difficult for some (cheap) equipment to recognize the rise timing of the wave that signals a bit start. There is test equipment that will check this, but it is really pricey.

Username: Mikey04

What a wonderful site. Some real sharp people here.
I have an old, 7 yrs or so, surround sound, Sherwood RV405OR. It is OK me thinks but my technophile son says to at least get a superior set of speakers (Sherwoods are too cheap he says).
He recommends a a set of Polk Audio RTi14's and CSi3 center speaker for now. He states I'd love the difference in quality and then , eventually, to replace the receiver / amplifier with at least 150 Watt unit with Optical Audio I/O's.
Would this initial step, replacing the speakers, be that much of an improvement to a seven or eight yr. old receiver / amp?

steven m
Unregistered guest
questions :-)
1. how do u connect svideo of a dvd player to a tv that has only one rca video input? do u have to change it to ntcs or pal etc.
2. can u connect component video to a tv that has only one rca input?
3.what does coaxial mean anyway?

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
1. you can't, you have to get a s-video to composite video converter.
2.no
3. it is a type of cable connection to either video or digital signal. Comes in different configuration. You can google it and you will find different things.

Anonymous

I have the same issue with digital sound. The TV HDTV only has digital coax out but the home theater system only has optical digital in. Is there a converter?

Silver Member

Post Number: 892
try radio shack

Anonymous

What distance does optical cable start degrading signal at, if any? Do you need boost boxes or something for long travels(100-250feet)...

Silver Member

Post Number: 984
quoted from
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/fiber-optic2.htm

The extent that the signal degrades depends on the purity of the glass and the wavelength of the transmitted light (for example, 850 nm = 60 to 75 percent/km; 1,300 nm = 50 to 60 percent/km; 1,550 nm is greater than 50 percent/km). Some premium optical fibers show much less signal degradation -- less than 10 percent/km at 1,550 nm.

Anonymous

Can I stick 2 optical audio connectors into a single optical audio (SPDIF I do believe...) input?
I have 2 devices (PC and DVD) that I want to pump the audio through an amp that has only 1 optical input, and I don;t want to switch a box every time if I can help it.

I'm no expert in this field but my limited knowledge of physics tells me this would be quite hard. :-)

If I had to go for the switchbox method, are these things any good or would they degrade the signal to dog-poo?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
I believe the only way to do what want to do will require a switch. I haven't experienced any signal degradation by using a switch box.

try this
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-980

Anonymous

I'm building a new house and we want to have it wired for a central media center (dvd, satellite, audio).

My novice understanding is that Componenet Video is the best conduit for video, so that's what I'm having done for the family room.

How would these other options rate: S-video, Digital Coax, Coax, etc?

Last novice question, does Digital Coax also carry audio?

Many Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1031
Component video is best.
S-Video is next.
Composite is last.

Digital coaxial cable IS an audio carrier unless you are referring to digital cable (Cox, Comcast, etc.), then it is a different animal altogether.

On home receivers and dvd/video players, the audio signal is separate from video signal.
You have your analog audio, the usual garden variety of left and right audio signals and you have 6 channel analog (L,R,C,SR,SL and SUB).
The there's digital audio, using one output that is decoded in the receiver into 6 separate channels, which uses a digital coaxial cable or a TOSLINK/Optical cable.

Anonymous

Thank you Berny. Your explanation of digital audio really cleared things up for me.

Going back to your rating of video conduits, what would you recommend for bedroom TV's where quality is a nice-to-have, but not critical (as for the family room or a home theater)?

Any recommendations for a multi-zone system for both video and audio (i.e. Russound, Zone, Sony)?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1033
You are welcome:-)
As far as multi zones, I am not a big fan of centralized systems and also not a big fan of Sony. All the rooms in my home have independent systems, imagine the pandemonium ensuing when all my kids try to play music all at the same time...but I digress:-)

Your question about multi-zone receivers will be better addressed if you post your query at the Home Audio section under Receivers forum.

Also, have you consulted with your local Audio/Video stores? They will have recommendations and proper systems that will fit your needs.

cheers

Matt Y
Unregistered guest
Berny, how would you rank the audio connections if you had ALL output types and ALL input types available to you? assuming a maximum of 5 feet between the source and the receiver.

Best > Worst

Digi Coax > Digi Opti > 5.1 RCA > L+R or
Digi Opti > Digi Coax > 5.1 RCA > L+R or ??

Thanks very much. ~MY

Gold Member

Post Number: 1038
Since they are all available to me, I will put all the digital sources AND 5.1 analog in the same category. I don't even use the L+R anymore, because I can get stereo out of the digital sources.

Unregistered guest
I am buying the Go Video DVD Player/Media Server. I want to hook it's digital coax up to my surround sound receiver, and it's RCA to a different 6 zone receiver. Do most devices (DVD players, CDplayers, Cable boxes) output sound simultaneously to digital and analog output, or do they default to the better connection, and only output through it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1061
No, most devices output signals that are configured by the consumer. You have to set-up your device to put out digital signals, as most that I've seen are putting out analog by default.

tonyguitargoat
Unregistered guest
I'm new here so please be gentle with me. I've just ordered my first DVD player and would like to play the audio through my receiver (which has Dolby and DTS) but is about 4 metres away from the player and TV - can I run a digital coax that distance without loss, and I guess it needs to be an expensive one?

BadAndy
Unregistered guest
I just hooked up my DirecTV HD reciever to my AV reciever using a used digital optial cable from a friend. The audio isn't coming through. I'm worried the cable may be the problem. How can I tell if it is scratched or otherwise damaged?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1186
check first to see if the equipment is set to output digital signals, some are not by default.

BadAndy
Unregistered guest
After consulting the manuals it appears as though I have the HD reciever setup correctly. With the optical cable plugged in to the optical out connector, there is red light passing through to the other end of the cable. I assume that means that it is passing the signal. But when I plug it into the optical input of the AV reciever, I get no sound. So that leads me to believe the problem is either with the cable/connector or the AV reciever. Are my assumptions valid?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Hi there...I have a Yamaha Rx-v1400 and a pioneer dvd 575a that I would like to connect to my sony tv set. I want to hear the sound through the receiver only when we are watching a movie and through the tv speakers for the rest. Can I connect my player to both tv and receiver seperately and how? Thanks

Unregistered guest
THe only differene between digital optical and digital coaxial is interference, because caoxial use copper wiring it's prone to interference, that's why you see expensive coaxial cables heavily shielded, doesn't matter if the signal is 1's and 0's there electrical and pick up interference, that said the reason why both are on the market is that a coaxial cable can carry a signal further with less degredation in the signal then optical so if your decoder/amp is far away from the player it;s a good idea to use coaxial, but if you're amp/decoder is very close(under 12') it's better to use a digital optical cable, this is because optical cables use fiberoptics(light) to transmit the digital signal and does not pick up interference as well, digital optical does though have the abiltiy to reflet the light travelling in it so you may notice sound artifacts if the cable grows longer(more than 15' generally) but all very minorly either way, even expensive cables do but most decoding units can repair any degredation in the signal so either way is good, people who claim one is better then the other(ie stonger clearer sound, better lower and higher frequenceis) are bullcrapping, it's all digtial all the way, but you can get errors in the sound, so use coaxial if it's long distance to prevent degredation, and use optical if it's very close and your t.v. and othe runits are near by as they can casue electromagnetic interfeience, but basically don't waiste 50 bucks on a stinking cable, any differnece in any qualitly so so incredibly small sound diagnosis hardware and monitoring system have trouble picking them up...

Unregistered guest
here's an idea for the t.v. setup...
T.V.(with component video input and analog(RCA, L,R,V)inputs)
VCR(with RCA outputs)
DVD player(component outs, digital optical/coaxial outs)
whatcha wanna do is hook up your t.v. to your cable line and then use the RCA outputs on the VCR to plug in your VCR, also put using a cable splitter put in the cable into the VCR as well(for taping shows)
the DVD player should then be plugged into your component inputs to your T.V. and the analog outputs into the secined set of t.v. inputs as well(or if your t.v. accepts coaxial/optical use them)
THEN lol, hook up your coaxial/optical outputs to your reciever/amplifier and the RCA outputs from your t.v. and VCR.
now what this does is when you're watching t.v., movies, or dvd your amp will put it all into suround sound format through your loud speakers, even analog L,R outputs can be converted to a make shift sourround sound by the reciever, it's not true 5.1 surround sound but voices will come out of the center etc..., when you wanna watch a movie without the powered loud speakers or watch t.v. or watch movies on the dvd player/VCR as well

hope i wasn;t to confusing, but it's acctually a really simple setup, i'm currently using it and i love it

now when its late i can jsut use the t.v.'s speakers to watch stuff quetly and during the day or guests what not everything and anything i'm watching can be loud and heart poundingly beautiful:P lol

Unregistered guest
here's an idea for the t.v. setup...
T.V.(with component video input and analog(RCA, L,R,V)inputs)
VCR(with RCA outputs)
DVD player(component outs, digital optical/coaxial outs)
whatcha wanna do is hook up your t.v. to your cable line and then use the RCA outputs on the VCR to plug in your VCR, also put using a cable splitter put in the cable into the VCR as well(for taping shows)
the DVD player should then be plugged into your component inputs to your T.V. and the analog outputs into the secined set of t.v. inputs as well(or if your t.v. accepts coaxial/optical use them)
THEN lol, hook up your coaxial/optical outputs to your reciever/amplifier and the RCA outputs from your t.v. and VCR.
now what this does is when you're watching t.v., movies, or dvd your amp will put it all into suround sound format through your loud speakers, even analog L,R outputs can be converted to a make shift sourround sound by the reciever, it's not true 5.1 surround sound but voices will come out of the center etc..., when you wanna watch a movie without the powered loud speakers or watch t.v. or watch movies on the dvd player/VCR as well

hope i wasn;t to confusing, but it's acctually a really simple setup, i'm currently using it and i love it

now when its late i can jsut use the t.v.'s speakers to watch stuff quetly and during the day or guests what not everything and anything i'm watching can be loud and heart poundingly beautiful:P lol

Unregistered guest
Is the channel separation better using digital connection than 5.1 RCA? Also, can I use a Home Theatre system for 5.1RCA & later the same speakers for digital connection after I buy a receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1493
I prefer the stereo analog, but again, different people like different things. It is all up to you.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny! You mean I can enjoy 5.1 sound using the analog outputs on the DVD player without buying a receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1501
I hope you don't misinterpret my preferences:-)
You will still need an amplifier/receiver even for just stereo output. For 5.1 listening you will need a receiver that can support a 5.1 system. 5.1 digital eliminates the need for 5.1 separate analogue inputs.
A lot of Home Theater systems in a box have at least 1 digital input that takes care of 5.1 sound, however, not all of them have the inputs for 5.1 separate analogue, i.e., Fr/L, Center, Fr/R, Sur/L, Sur/R and subwoofer.

Chilly Rick
Unregistered guest
Yes there is at Radio Shack $14.00 and it works great. My cable box had RCA out and my receiver only optical in.

Username: Mlcorson

I am hoping you all can help me. I'd like to hook my laptop to play Musicmatch Jukebox and send the audio signal via Xitel's Pro HiFi Link which has a digital coax output. The run is 50+ feet to my receiver that has only rca inputs. Can I convert the coax at the reciever to rca jacks? I use the system to pipe music in the house for background music. Stereo seperation is not really an issue.
-Mike

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the guidance, Berny! If I buy a 5.1 speaker system which has built-in amp, can I connect it directly to 5.1 analog outputs available on the DVD player? If yes, will the sound be as good as with a digital connection?

Stevieboy
Unregistered guest
Hi, I just bought an LG8721P DVD player. I tried to hook it up with an optical cable. The cable works, but it won't sit properly. Am I doing something wrong, or are there different specs for optical cable connections?

Unregistered guest
Can anyone help me here? I have just bought a Kardan Harmon AVR23o and am going to hook it up to my Bose Acoustimass 16 system. I can figure most of it out I think, but I have a query: I plan to hook up my TV, DVD and my HDTV Reveiver to the AVR230 using component connections and Digital audio etc where possible. My AVR230 manual says that in order to utilise the on screen display function I have to have a video or s-video connection to my TV to view this menu. I was under the impression that you could use component, composite or s-video connections but only one type and not a combination.
I naturally want to be able to access the on screens from the receiver but am tentative because I don't want to confuse the signals.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..Neil

CareyW
Unregistered guest
I have a new Sony DVD Recorder with only a coax digital output and a Yamaha receiver with only optical digital input. (Well, apart from the old RCA plugs option in both cases). It seems I can get Dolby Digital using only the RCA plugs to connect (but I'm not sure why, must be only 2/0 DD), but definitely no DTS. IS there any way of getting these two to talk digital??

Anonymous

I have a Harmon Kardon Receiver I'm using with a Optical (toslink) cable from my Directv receiver. The sound works for a while and then the pcm light starts to blink and go out completely with no sound at all. I cycle power and the sound is back for a while, but the same problem will happen after a few more minutes. Cycling power clears the problem, do you think its the cable or the receiver?

yooper
Unregistered guest
Has anyone heard of a device or product that converts analog wire to digital optical and back to analog? I have an insane coupling problem on a professional mixer and amp that I think could be solved by this setup.

Bill R.
Unregistered guest
I purchased a set of wireless headphones to use with my home theater system. So, I also purchased some additional digital audio cables (Toslink) and the requisite splitters and switches to be able to hook everything up.

When I wire everything up, it appears as if some Toslink cables are not working in this scenario when they work perfectly when connected directly as they were before. What is going on? Why would one Toslink cable work and another not? And why does one Toslink cable work in one cable arrangement and not another?

Color me confused!

Bill

Toslink Survivor
Unregistered guest
I used to run Digital Optical ( a Monster Cable Referance ) until last night while viewing Punisher. About halfway thru the movie my sound began to intermitantly cut out, for about a second at a time. This seemed to happen at times when alot of sound was being passed from the DVD to my reciever. I replaced the cable with a Digital Coax ( a Monster Cable , not a Referance one but one model lower) and the DVD played fine, with no interuptions. I have heard that overall high qaulity digital coax outperforms optical, and for me this is proof enough. I'll be running digital coax now instead of optical wherever possible.

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic SC-HT700, it doesn't have optical input, but I want to play my PS2 in 5.1 surround sound. Is there anyway to have that without optical?

Anonymous

Can I make up a digital coaxial cable myself from a pair of ordinary RCA pluga and a length of 75 ohm coax? any special keying on the connector? My Tecnics receiver's digital input (orange) RCA jack appears to have a locking clip. Is it just to make a captive connection or does it have another purpose?

Unregistered guest
Can I run dolby digital through RG59 or RG6 instead of RCA/Coax? If the answer is yes then can I run it into a cable splitter and split the dolby digtal signal out? i have a svideo splitter from radio shack but don't have all the cable for the project...and plenty or RG59 and 6. Thanks in advance! please reply to mail if possible.

Matt32
Unregistered guest
I have a YHT-150 home stereo and a Sony DVD player. The DVD player only has a Digital coaxial output and the Yamaha receiver has a coaxial input labeled CD and then two optical inputs for DVD and TV. Will the CD coaxial input have the desired effect when plugged into the DVD player?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 229
Iff you mean plugging CD player to DVD player: I don't think DVD player has a bypass from coaxial to optical. That is, DVD player has probably only outputs, no inputs, unless maybe if it's a recorder.

Cheers
AL

Unregistered guest
can i put two optical into one input???

i have a cable box with a optical out and my xbox and both only have optical but i only have one optical input...is there a adapter that lets me put two into one???

they will never be on at same time...

i know i can get one of those splitter things that has a turn dial but i dont want one of those i i need to get up every time to change it...

pleas help

Anonymous

I have a sony home theater system that does not have a slot for a turntable. I was told that I could use an in-line amp and attach it to the audio-in dvd slot and obtain audio on the dvd by using a coax cable into the video-out slot on the dvd. This worked fine on my old dvd player. However, when I tried swapping the unit out for a newer one, I am not getting sound. To make matters worse, I hooked up the original unit and am not getting sound from it either. Am I hooking the coax cable correctly??

Anonymous

Disregard the above post re: the sony system. We figured it out...

markusal
Unregistered guest
My DVD player only has an optical audio output. My receiver only has a coaxial digital input for the DVD. Is there such a thing as an "optical to coaxial converter"?

Matt32
Unregistered guest
Okay, i have a Yamaha receiver that decodes DTS, my DVD player reads Dolby Digital, etc. and I have my digital coax cable connected from the DVD player to the receiver. But, when i put the receiver on DTS mode when playing a DVD decoded in DTS, i get no sound. What's wrong?

Username: Pwimpenny

I have just bought a new scart lead for my sky+ to TV but I still get moving waves. What scart leads do you recommend to remove the interferance. I also bought a toslink audio cable to connect my dvd to the music system but this does not work at all. Does digital audio work with a scart or do you need separate video cables? I am crap at such cable tangles.

Unregistered guest
My computer has digital coax and my stereo has digital optical. Can I hook these bad boys up or do I have to go and buy a optical card for my computer? By the sounds of things I need the card but I'm having a good day today and I don't want to buy a new card... so give some good news,.....

Username: Hobbitfeet

A pointer for newbies to home cinema:

If your DVD player/PC sound card/gaming system/digital TV box and your Amplifier/processor/receiver/home theatre system use different digital connectors you can convert from digital co-axial to optical or vice-versa with a relatively cheap converter box.

In the UK try www.maplin.co.uk. Type digital coaxial into the search field and converters for either direction are displayed. In the US try Radioshack.

other questions:

To the guy with the Xitel Pro Hi-Fi (I have one too) to connect to a stereo amp, you're going to have to use the stereo out connectors to do the long run. If you're using these with your PC speakers, you could split them (although this would probably degrade the signal and/or cause other problems). Other options are a cheap home cinema receiver, or something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35620&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&do y=23m11

To Philip Wimpenny... Play.com have the excellent Philex Thor scart for less then £20...
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=170944
Scart only sends an analogue audio signal. The optical cable should work fine with the DVD player, but as others have said, you may need to go into the DVD menu and turn on the digital output. While you are at it make sure that video is set to RGB (the best quality via Scart). If the picture turns black and white when watching a film, swap your Scart cables around to see if that fixes it (on most TVs not all scart sockets support RGB). Set it back if it doesn't work on any scart.
If you want to test the Toslink cable try it on the Sky+ box. You should at least get stereo (or ProLogic) if it's working. Dolby digital is only available on the Movie channels.
I can suggest other stuff if you need more help.

Matt32... The CD coax connector that you mentioned in your first post may only support a PCM bitstream (stereo only - like a CD player outputs). The upshot of this may be that when set to Dolby Digital on the DVD player you are receiving Dolby Digital 2 stereo (which the receiver can handle), but when you set it to DTS it's not getting anything it can decode via the coax.
You also say that the DVD player supports Dolby Digital 'etc.'... You don't mention DTS explicitly, so it may be that the DVD player does not support DTS.
This is all just assumption of course. You could also try going into the DVD menu system and checking that the digital audio options are set to 5.1 (or dolby/DTS) rather than Dolby 2/0 (or Dolby Stereo) or PCM bitstream. While your at it check the video settings as I mention above. I know for certain that Sony DVD players are set to use video output by default (set up a system for parents-in-law at the weekend). Try RGB, and failing that S-Video rather then video.
On the sound front, failing all else, get a co-ax to optical converter as mentioned above.

Username: Pwimpenny

Post Number: 2
thanks for your advice. i think I may not get my toslink cable to work because my denon D-M30 reciever has optical output only. I take it you need output from DVD/sat and input on reciever for it to work?

Post Number: 4
Hi Philip,

You are correct. Unfortunately, the D-M30 only has an optical co-axial output for direct digital recording using a minidisk. It's a lovely bit of kit though.

Ashburn
Unregistered guest
I have seen several inquiries about hooking up optical cables and not having any sound even though a light is seen through the cable. This might seem kind of simple but make sure that the protective caps are taken off. Yes, I made this "stupid" error but there was nothing on the outside packaging telling me take it off. This might be the cause of many of the postings and confusion.

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
While reviewing a HDMI, Dolby 5.1, dts-capable Sony DVD player I discovered that the manual says that if I use the digital optical/coaxial output to a receiver with a decoder that I will NOT get surround sound effects. Why in lord's name is that? Is this a drawback of the Sony DVD player or all digital audio outputs? What is the point of having digital audio outputs to reduce the number of cables and improve signal quality if you do not get the surround sound in the end? HELP!

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
Regarding that last posting...I think I figured it out. I believe the manual is referring to the "special" surround sound effects offered by the DVD player itself (sound balancing, etc.). Some backup on this point would still be appreciated. Also, does anyone have any feedback on the line of HDMI-capable DVD players on the market (e.g., Sony DVP-NS975V, Samsung DVD-HD941, Panasonic DVD-S97S, Pioneer DV59-AVi). I have a very nice Samsung DLP HDTV and I want to use it's DVI input to maximum advantage. Thanks.

Carlos123
Unregistered guest
I bought a new optical cable today and I was wondering about how I could connect it to a normal jack.

PCK
Unregistered guest
I have a Sharp TV manufactured in November 1989 and a new DVD player. There is no place to put any of the DVD cable jacks, yellow, white or red, into my TV. To watch VCR tapes, I move the antenna plug on the TV to the back of my VCR. What do I do for the DVD player?
Is there a specific adapter I can ask for and where do I connect it to the TV?
I am not a techie. Any help appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Does your VCR have 2 Coax (antenna) connectors? usualy, you can connect your antenna to your VCR and your VCR to your TV.

Does your VCR have yellow/red/white inputs? you can use those (make sure to set your VCR to Line one ore two, which ever it's connected to). If not, you need an RF modulator. these are about $20+ CDN. Or a new TV, you aren't getting DVD quality video anyway.

Unregistered guest
I am starting over with my connections .. any direction would be helpful..I take it i want to run everything to my receiver?

DirectTV Satellite
Sony Receiver
Sony DVD (DVP-NS700P)
Sony 5-CD Player

The receiver has the following digital inputs:
TV/SAT - Optical
DVD/LD - Optical and Coaxial

From what I gather I shall use the coaxial connection for the DVD, this will allow me to use 5.1 sound thru the sattelite speakers. Does this coaxial connection handle the video aspect too? Is that connected seperate via the component video cords?

THEN - Should I use one of the other digital inputs to connect the DIRECTTV or CD player? Is that possible?

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 272
The S/PDIF digital interface (coaxial or optical) is audio only.

A/V receiver's digital processing is mainly for audio. But some people also use their receiver as switchbox between video sources.

Cheers
AL

Tony2004
Unregistered guest
Hey I recently bought an optical audio cable for my PS2 and I was wondering if there was any way that I could hook up the cable to my computer speakers. Are there any adapters that I could get so that I can put it into my audio jack? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Chris Anderson
Unregistered guest
Sigh, for your connections,
The Sony Receiver Part number would help, but this is what you would like to to.

Think of it as a top down approach. Your Receiver being the central hub.

You have two categories of cables, One for Audio, and One for Video,

Your Video cables are as follows,
1. Component, that is the red, blue, and green cables.
2. Next is SVideo that is a round ended cable,
3. And last is your Composite Cable, Sometimes found with the RCA cables, it is usually Yellow.

1 being the best 3 being the not so good :-)

Your Audio Cables,
Alot of discrepancy between these two but I will put them in the order that I prefer.
1. Optical Cable
2. Digitial Coax.
3. RCA (white and red)

You can replace any of my recommendations, but here goes.

DVD to Receiver, Video Connected through Composite Video Cable (red, blue, green), Audio Optical cable. (All connected to DVD IN on back of Receiver)

Direct TV, to Receiver, Same as above. except (connect to TV IN on back of Receiver.

Sony 5 CD Player, to Receiver, If it has Optical or Coaxial I would use them if not use nice gold end RCA cables.

Receiver to TV, I would connect Component video from Receiver, TV OUT, to TV INPUT in.

The above recommendations, are assuming that you will use your receiver for all sound. That is why you will not need any Audio connections from your devices to tv, or from your receiver to tv, your tv speakers will not output any sound. On your Receiver their may be a button to turn on the optical input.

I prefer optical input, because their is no interferance, and as you know with electronics you get interferance.

Take care.

sigh
Unregistered guest
Switchbox?

sigh
Unregistered guest
Thanks Chris -

On DVD to Receiver - I assume you meant component not the composite cable.

Receiver to TV...video.. I think the receiver has a MONITOR OUT section that contains:
1-pin video out plug
1 S-Video out

Chris Anderson
Unregistered guest
Sorry I did mean component, not composite,

Does your receiver not have component out? If not definitly use the S-video,

I am not an expert, that is just what I would do, hope that helps,

Anonymous

O.k. heres the real STUPID question !!
i have a DVD player with Digital coax Out
and a surround system with Digi Coax IN ... Both look like RCA connectors to me .. so i hook them up with a rca cable .. NO SOUND .. so i start reading ... and can't find out anything special about the cable .. SO what is special about the cable that an RCA cable won't work ??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2048
first check the DVD player set up menu without a disk. Go to audio options and turn on digital audio output and/or dts.
there's a whole lot of debate ragarding cables but let us start with fixing your problem.

Sigh
Unregistered guest
Okay .. got the speakers mounted and everything plugged in ..good sound from the CD and TV ..

no sound from the DVD player. uggh.

Sony DVP-NS700P (Dvd player)
Sony STR-SE501 (Receiver)

I connected the Optical cord from DVD optc out to Receiver dvd/ld IN.

the video is connected by s video. I have picture but no sound.

so close.

Username: Mahinda

I recently bought a Toshiba HD-S25 High Definition set top box for my Hitachi Plasma panel. Toshiba recommend using RGB Output 15 Pin D-Sub as been the best for video connection ahead of component video. but in the forum component video connection is recommended as been the best.
can someone explain the difference.

thanks

Chris Anderson
Unregistered guest
Hey Sigh, glad to hear you are getting it all setup. Now as for no sound, check in your manual, if you don't have it hear is a link to it. http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDE545.PDF
you may need to copy and paste that line into your search bar. You will notice on page 23 of the manual it talks about input, it is the little button on your receiver, just under your dimmer button.
Sony says that if you use the digital inputs you should take your system out of auto mode and set it to optical. Just push that input button, and then switch to digital (optical). I do believe you cannot trully have surround sound without a digital cable.

That hopefully will do it, you may need to tell your dvd player to use the optical to, but I can't find the manual for that cd player.

Let me know if that doesn't help.

Sigh
Unregistered guest
Oh yea.. SUCESS ! had to code the DVD to send the digital signal. DTS and all that.
thanks.

One more .. should I hook up the CD player via another optical cord?

Dilema - CD player does contain an optical out.. BUT the AV Receiver only is left with an optical in for the TV/SAT. The CD input only contains connections for L/R plugs.

IF you check the manual link -- page 10 is a copy of the back of the receiver.

The DVD/LD input contained two connections ..one for coaxial and one for optical, but the CD input only has the L/R Audio cord jacks.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 274
Could be that CD player does the Digital to Analogue Conversion better, which would be an argumente for not using optical interconnect.

On the other hand, Receiver probably handles bass and treble control better if fed with digital signal instead of analogue.

Cheers
AL

bigdaddyboo131
Unregistered guest
I have a reciever, how could i get normal tv programs (espn,nbc,abc ect.) to play through my reciever and home theater system

Jillian
Unregistered guest
Hey i stumbled across this forum and i hope sumone here can answer my question..i would appreciate it :-)

anyway i just bought a surround sound speaker package. the speakers came with only the regular cable wires, which im guessin is called optical (im new to this). anyway the dvd player i wanted to hook it up to only has 2 rca inputs, an R and an L, and a coaxial rca input. but obviously these wires dont just sit in there. what do i need to hook this up? what kind of receiver and do i need a certain dvd player also.

please help, im clueless lol.

thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2141
check out this little guide

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

Unregistered guest
dear sir
i have bought a dvd recorder which has a ntsc tuner but can play both pal and ntsc disc, my cable signal is pal , the problem is how to record the programms in pal as when i tune it comes in black and white only with no sound

can any one help me

ZERO-T
Unregistered guest
Hi there! I connected my dvd player to the receiver with a digital coax cable. The receiver tells me it can "see" the connection, but I still get no sound... Is it possible I need to play with dvd player's set up to make sure its audio output goes through digitalcoax output? I thought I should be getting signal on all outputs (digital coax, optical, analog, etc)? Am I wrong? Thanks in advance!

Unregistered guest
hi, this is such a stupid question, I know, but I am a single girl with no knowledge in this field at all... I have just got myself a home theatre system with cd/dvd drive. Everything is conected up to play cd`s and also dvd`s fine. How do I connect this system to get sound from the tv, or digi, out of my system... I just have no idea.

Unregistered guest
Can optical carry an analog sound?

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 14
Tyler,

Optical is by definition a digital connection. The optical cable simply passes a continuous stream of 1s and 0s as light pulses. In order to pass an analog stream via optical it first has to be converted via an analog to digital (A/D) converter. These can be purchased, but there really isn't a great deal of point in converting an analog stream to digital, it only needs converting back again to be turned into a sound for your speakers by a D/A processor either seperately or in an amplifier.

Having said that, when watching (stereo) TV through my DVD recorder the sound is passed as analog from my digital TV box via a Scart lead, then converted to digital and sent via a digital coax to my receiver. I find this more convenient than having another connection from the DVDR to the receiver.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 15
Vicky,

You need to connect the digi (TV box?) and TV via the appropriate cables to the home cinema box if there are connectors available.

For the TV you may have a red and a white phono connector on the back - these should be connected up with a standard phono cable. I shouldn't spend more than about £10 or $20 on this, most people I know don't have an issue with the cheap ones that you often get free, if these suit you, then use them. Connect these to the home cinema box (make sure it's off when you do!) You may have to set the TV to use the external speakers in a menu - on my Sony TV I have to set this every time I turn the TV on! Which is why it's often easier to...

Do the same for the digibox - Now when you watch TV, turn the TV speakers all the way down and set the home cinema to digibox. If you don't have a connector called digital or satellite or cable, just plug it in any spare on the home cinema and remember what it's plugged into. For example, if you plug it into the plugs labelled minidisk, you need to select Minidisk on the home cinema system to listen to your digibox.

You should now get the TV sound from the home cinema system (when you turn it back on of course!). The stereo signal that you are passing should be converted to some form of matrixed surround sound such as Prologic (I/II/IIx). This is a reasonable approximation of surround sound. You may need to set the home cinema into this mode.

Depending on whether or not the digibox has an digital output AND the home cinema system has a digital input you can also connect this up via a digital connection. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about this at the moment, most digital TV broadcasters only show premium movies in full sourround, the rest is in stereo.

If you want to use the digital method, ask about this specifically.

Hope that helps :D

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 16
Sumant,

Your recorder has an NTSC tuner, I'm not sure if it can tune into PAL TV signals i.e. that sent via a co-ax aerial (antenna) cable (you don't say what cables you currently use to connect the two devices).

You don't mention if you have a PAL or NTSC TV.
Seeing an NTSC picture in black and white on an PAL screen is a common problem when watching NTSC DVDs (living in the UK, I'm not sure if the reverse holds true).
I'd be intrigued to know if NTSC DVDs play in colour. This is usually solved on UK systems by setting the output of the device to RGB rather than S-video on your Scart connectors, but as you have a mix of NTSC and PAL I'm not sure if you'll even have these!

Basically, I think that the problem is that S-video signals do not work between NTSC and PAL devices. You have to have an RGB connection with the sending device set to send RGB too. Either Scart or (I'm guessing here) component video connection (which isn't actually RGB, but Y Pb Pr but still sends the 3 colours seperately).
It's also important that the scart connector is able to receive RGB signals (some scart sockets only take S-Video - my TV has 3 scart, 2 RGB capable, 1 S-Video capable).

As for sound... have you connected up some audio connectors??

Sorry I can't help further, but my advice is to stick to all PAL or all NTSC devices! You'll also not have the problem of s-Video/Component vs. Scart connectors.

HTH :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us