...and by the way, which one is Pink?

Bronze Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 74
Must have been the all-time hi-rez hit, DSotM. But what happened to the rest of PF's albums? Haven't seen any other anywhere in SACD.

Imagine all the glittering notes in "Shine on you crazy diamond" pouring out of a 5.1 system. Shame on you media moguls bereaving us this heavenly pleasure.

Did Mademoiselle Nobs chew up all other master tapes? Or is it just sales forecasts? What would it take to convince them? Should we all go shopping redbook copies to make other PF albums - not only DSotM - pop up on billboard from time to time?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 210
AL,

I agree completely. Can you imagine "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict" in surround? Or "Dogs." Or "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" Or "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" Or "One of These Days" Or "Run Like Hell" Or "The Gunners Dream" Or...............

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 46
DSotM set the standard for multi-channel recordings when it was released (IMO, and going by reviews when it came out). There are the persistent rumours of the PULSE DVD mix being almost complete. That was a neat concert.

And yeah, Sem, "One of these days" would be mind-blowing in surround - and also Echoes, i'm sure.

One of my all-time favourite Floyd live performances is "Run Like Hell" with Guy Pratt matching vocals with Gilmour (from PULSE, or was it DSoT ?).

Interesting choice of names (are these called 'hooks' ?) on this forum - I've taken mine from the dog in Meddle. And i hope Arnold Layne doesn't really live up to his namesake. Do you AL ?

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 94
Well, on a pale moonlit night... I try to stick with this forum, helps me forgetting that urge to sneak out through backdoor and... Oops, here comes Mrs. Layne...

I've discovered there are actually some SACDs:
- Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
- Roger Waters - Live in Berlin
- Roger Waters - In the Flesh
- Rather expensive, and critics not all that good.

Have you checked out http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk ? There you find a few words from James Guthrie, the man that made DSotM on SACD possible.

... will the following footsteps catch me?
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 227
AL,

Not sure if you were around when I provided this link to Alan Parsons' song by song comments on Guthrie's SACD version of DSOTM. Interesting comments. I personally would have loved to have heard Parsons' interpretation of the PF classic.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=444&pag

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Good link Sem, I hadn't some across this piece till now. Some time ago, somebody on this forum mentioned having met Alan Parsons (I now forget the context, I think it was on his speaker choices). Was it you ?

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 98
Sem, I think I saw your link but forgot to check it out. Indeed very interesting points of view.

I'd say Alan P. is a DVD-A guy. IMO SACD seems less precise regarding stereo (or should we rename it 5.1?) image.

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 228
Seamus,

Yes, met him many times, quite a humble, down to earth gentleman. I should have another chance to talk with him this November, I think.

AL,

I agree. In fact his new release will be available in DVD-A on the MyUtopia label (a division of 5.1 Entertainment).

Did you happen to catch any of the shows in Spain this past May?

Bronze Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 99
Oh yeah - great concert in Plaza Mayor, Madrid. (I think I mentioned it briefly in "Plunging into multichannel" thread).

Soundstage among the best I've heard outdoors, despite medieval plaza, cobblestone, lots of metal and glass around. In short, an acoustic nightmare that AP mastered it very well indeed. Many of the classic songs benefitted from being "modernized", with more rythms and powerfulness. "The Raven" was outstanding in this sense. Other songs - like "Eye in the Sky" - were brought to us in a more humble way, letting the beautiful tunes speak for themselves. Good musicians in the band, as well as vocals. Even AP's voice is aging with grace. A fine concert in an unusual but not at all inadequate environment.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 229
AL,

"Good musicians in the band, as well as vocals."

Yes, they are quite talented. PJ Olsson (vocals) http://www.pjolsson.com/ has done commercials which have aired nationally (and has also appeared on Davd Letterman), Montagna (bass) and Focarazzo (K/Bs) are well respected NYC area musicians. Drummer Steve Murphy has appeared in Trans Siberian Orchestra http://www.trans-siberian.com/ And guitarist Godfrey Townsend played in and recorded with The John Entwistle Band, as well as appears occasionally around the NYC area in his "Clapton is God-frey" tribute to Eric Clapton. http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/bios/godfrey.htm

What really stands out with the current APLP lineup is, as you mentioned, the vocals. All six on stage sing solos as well as harmonize like no other lineup has in the past. This enables them to greatly expand their playlist to include songs they wouldn't have typically been able to play in the past.

Glad you enjoyed the concert. They'll be back in Europe in October - Holland, Switzerland, Germany, England, and Poland.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 108
That proves it, the guy is a genious. Touring in Germany in the midst of beer festival season. Wish I were there. But this year, vacations will be spent on western shores of the Atlantic. Mrs. Layne insisted on Caribbean cruise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Sem where can i get more details on the concerts ? Had listened to APP back in the "Eye in the Sky" days, would love to hear their new sound.

By the way, James Guthrie is apparently busy putting the finishing touches on the PULSE DVD. So keep an eye out for that...

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 230
Seamus,

Thanks for the heads up on Pulse. I saw a few Floyd shows from that tour.

Here is the website of the official Alan Parsons Newsletter. Its run by Steve Martin out of Toronto, and contains all kinds of great information including a couple of clips to listen to. I think you'll need to use Real Player to listen.

http://www.theavenueonline.info/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
You lucky man Sem ! I would've killed to see Floyd in action. The only "Floyd" show that I did manage to catch was Roger Waters' recent "In the Flesh Tour". Good, but not quite the same as the PULSE shows. Hopefully the DVD will live up to all the hype.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 127
Unconfirmed rumours, but I thought I'd cheer you (us) up:

http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/roger_waters_news/31st08200404.htm

AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 235
AL,

Thanks. Great news, if true. One of my favorites. And one I'm betting will sound great in surround.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 599
That is good news. But, I'd like "I Wish You Were Here" on hi-res surround also.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 236
My Rantz,

Agree 100%!!! Probaby my all-time favorite Pink Floyd cd.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 128
Mine too, IMO it goes beyond almost everything ever recorded. Would be the ultimate surround ambience experience. Please, media moguls: Hi-rez digitalize whatever material left, for future generations to enjoy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 602
Ditto Guys!

Well, that's three of us just here - come on record companies, get with it! Sales are waiting!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I promise to buy 2 copies if it helps sales!!
By the way MR, have you seen the Aussie Floyd tribute band that www.brain-damage.co.uk keeps talking about ?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 237
My guess is most of the PF back catalog will eventually be mixed into surround. There would obviously be a hugh market for it.

AL,
Sure you can't take your cruise and sneak in a trip to Zurich? :-) Here's the latest Parsons tour schedule:

Sept 30 - Detroit - w/Dennis De Young - Detroit Opera House - Playing with a complete orchestra. Performing songs by Styx, Parsons and (I heard) Pink Floyd.

Oct 3, 4 - Hardenberg, Holland - Club Podium
Oct 5 - Tilburg, Holland - Club 013
Oct 6 - Zurich, Switzerland - Volkshaus
Oct 7 - London, UK - The Astoria
Oct 9 - Athens, Greece - Gagarin 205
Oct 10 - Thessaloniki, Greece - Fix
Oct 12 - Krefeld, Germany - Rennbahn
Oct 13 - Hamburg, Germany - Fabrik
Oct 14 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Amager Bio
Oct 15 - Warsaw, Poland - Congress Hall
Oct 16 - Modena, Italy - Vox Club
Oct 18 - Rome, Italy - TBA
Oct 19 - Palermo, Italy - Teatro Pollteama
Oct 20 - Firenze, Italy - Teatro Verdi
Oct 22 - Milan, Italy - TBA
OCT. 29/04 - Home Theater Cruise
Nov 10 - New York - BB Kings (I may go to this one!!)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Speaking of the Floyd back catalogue, apparently there'll be a special promotion in the UK from 13th Sept to 22nd Oct where massive discounts shall be offered on all Floyd albums (except the 'Shine On' box set and DSOTM SACD).
Check out the Brain Damage site. And it looks like the Lost Doc, the documentary about the famous The Wall concerts in London is about to be released. Too bad it's only a behind-the-scenes look and not the entire concert.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 130
Ney, Sem. I take vacations now, so in October there's only slavery for me, ball and chain. Tried to talk Mrs. Layne into postponing Caribbean cruise until Oct. 26, but...

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
Seamus

Never heard of Aussie Floyd until your mention - I guess I don't get out enough!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 238
AL.
I can certainly understand what you're saying, you have to do what you have to do. I just hope you're waiting until after the hurricane season.

Seamus,
I read about the Aussie Floyd tribute band on another music group I follow. If I remember correctly,(and that's about 50/50 anymore), they were here in the states earlier this year. I do remember reading that they are really, really, good.
Also, that brain-damage link you provided above links to two new Roger Waters songs you can listen to, and even download with the right program ;-) Thanks!!

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 131
Well, let's put it this way: we're leaving Santo Domingo Monday night, heading east so we can reach St. Lucia on Wednesday at the same time as next hurricane, Ivan. Thursday we are scheduled to stroll on beaches of Barbados. Wearin' my Famous Blue Raincoat, that would be. Will be some interesting vacations indeed.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 239
AL,
Best of luck. I hope the weather isn't so severe as to keep you from enjoying yourselves. We vacationed in St Thomas and St John last year in early August and were able to get in and get out before the hurricane season started. The Caribbean islands are very beautiful, friendly people, great food, and excellent snorkeling.

Have a great time, just be safe.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 135
Hi guys, I survived. Love Bat re-routed to avoid Ivan the Terrible. Sunbathin' and snorklin' all the time. But 2nd week in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) got little windy. Hotel could not re-route, so Jeannie forced us to stay indoors for a few days. We were lucky staying in a standfast luxury hotel, some others were flooded and their food supply cut off.

Sem, I 100% agree on Caribbean islands. I'd repeat the trip, hurricane or not. But I liked Cuba (vacations 2002) more than Dominican Reublic: better organization, service and cigar prices. Dominican Republic has more beautiful landscapes, though. Next time I'd like to check out Jamaica.

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 254
AL, glad you were able to salvage your vacation. We almost went to Punta Cana, DR last year, but opted instead to go to St Thomas. Maybe some day...
Cuba, unfortuneately, is one place we're not allowed to visit :-(
A word about Jamaica, I know several different people who went there...once. To a person, they all said it was ok, but they probably wouldn't go back. On the other hand I know two couples that keep going back to Aruba - they love it there. (Disclaimer - I have never been to either place so my word may not mean much here. Just passing along what I've heard).
A good friend recently went to Belize and said it was the closest thing to heaven he's ever seen.
In the end, do your homework, I'm sure you'll find your own paradise.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 136
On-going rumours considering PF SACD releases, and guess what: not only "Animals"... :

http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/roger_waters_news/8th09200403.htm

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 255
AL,
Cool!! Thanks. I sure hope it happens.

Anonymous

checked out bbc talk,they have like words of this menu of this is like the set prog the "white"-o,where they use this Type as tell word sound to what say "exactly"as "words for radio"Programme to discuss via website in writing the same!!ITs crazy,loads of like"is that english....what does this mean...???"Art poetrys?Bbc.co.uk.They-a then reffered a like "Pink Floyd"Dark Side of the Moon cover,its a respin Im sure as it just keeps going round and round until its thought youve never heard of that,hear,here what about this,its back again,o...no...you knew,thinking words is this"YOU"its-a"coast arguement for own control"as "cant read you,your not in the rhyme"then "coil all IN"as "a sum of thats synchronisity"you need pay and buy things to live in my state as we know what are dont we"madman of go mad"Owns"is"!!This "one minute Iv got a great idea..."is"do to are"art is this"o..oi...you...I you told of a us"gigs in the sky"nock your cloud off.."I own are,mad sums of the idea of sums,like how "terms"arent really there.This "in-house trytyptch comedy of all this sound of mimic talk in heres"goes MAD"Im posh I know are"stuffed turkey of"convinced...I really am are"unrung total-o tune.. "synchronisity is like how the connections between the pink floyd albums is you talk about sid he is mad,an intellectual,naff off,of then still idiotise to hear this mad idiot of man, in then your really thinking,end all,I,known...This that means story of Sid Barret is a name of this label word that you might say is something then connected with a word that is then says was a band of sound that then eclipsed the sun in some form of other known different words that were apart very large cosmos divulgences how one is jazz one is music,pink or floyd and then the idea rolls around in this two thing."This thats because if you locate the idea of words to then DO things it will come like a hurricane through the tidaL WAVES AND CRAsH THROUGH THE CIELING TO "SERIOSLY NEED TO TELL YOU THIS"dOROTHY EXAMPLES OF PLAY THE ALBUM at the same time as a film is the corrert to use Television programme of synche in to DO just that,doing words of this world revelotuions of let you HEAr out as you been "in house" so long,freak outs of drums is noisey which means you have gather words like a poppy flower idiot nonsence super Sam country man idiot lunatic read records back to music is them no known back to whatever you were once using,a one orchestrar turns into solid way of life evers"is this the dark side of the moon"oi..leave my old horse alone"steak pies have ART as type shadow cast very sinister demons as this these Willow patterns of raven you away in KEYS of theorys to simplefied madmen hear real songs be!!?"This "you had a war of vietnam,arrest of these idiot policeman birming beings"in then CALL them back"ink marker blot you suspects"of "we own as we got white lines down roads"I own be,none"you stuck in there mate...come"illegal idiot WALK TO move MIND as THAT!!Hell.Hear this band(??)-Bezooomy,...zoootsz.!!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 260
I've been privledged to get a hold of a special cd recording: The quad version of Dark Side of the Moon. This is from the original SQ LP quad mix Alan Parsons did for EMI years ago, not the Guthrie SACD mix being sold today. This mix was (I believe) then fed through a Tate/Fosgate II decoder over to a pc and run through SurCode software, and then burned as a DTS quad cd. Very cool.

I still haven't picked up the SACD version, but will do so before too long and compare the two.

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 29
my, my... the hairs on the back of my neck are starting to raise a little. Animals is one of my favorites. Pink, man Pink!!

I can just imagine the bass lick lead in to Have a Cigar encircling the room.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 160
Finally got hold on the new Parsons album. I'm scanning through the sons right now. Brutal, I agree it should be one wild DVD-A indeed.

Already like it very much indeed. Some stuff takes over where Mike Oldfield ran out of electricity. Some other is 100% born-again 70s dinosaur. And those "special effects"...

Track 7 sounds familiar... can't be... it'sa... ehr...

NEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMOR ENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORENEVERMORE

Gosh!
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 270
AL,

LOL!! I agree, the surround mix DVD-A should be pretty cool indeed. Not sure when its due to be released, if I remember, I'll ask Alan next month and report back. So far my favorite track is Chomolungma (the Tibetan name for Mt Everest). Really cool drum and simple keybord along with a digitally sampled Tibetan chant, building more and more intense until the hysterical ending by Python's John Cleese.
Also like Return to Tunguska, featuring the guitar work of David Gilmour.

Tidbits:
The guy on the cd cover (by Storm Thorgeson), is walking across stepping stones that are made to look like pc keyboard keys; kind of a play on the old DOS message about an invalid path.

Parsons' son Jeremy did the remix of the two original songs.

The dog at the end is Parsons dog Harrow, recorded in his home - listen for the doorbell.

The cool water dripping sounds leading into "L'Arc En Ciel" was done by Alan and his wife in their bathtub using water and hot candle wax.

On their current tour they're playing three songs from AVP - #'s 1,2 and 4.

Enjoy....

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 168
Sem, I am now listening through this brilliant album in Dolby PLII (music mode). I generally don't prefer DSP manipulation, it flavours the music. But in this case it's an interesting experience. Sound stage opens up and some complexity is resolved, more detailed. An appetizer on what's to come this winter, can barely wait.

BTW, was it this dude who had a psychedelic breakfast?

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 272
AL,
I don't think Floyd was referencing Parsons on that AHM tune. Not sure who though.

On a semi-related note, Mrs. Sem and I sat at a nearby table eating breakfast in a hotel the morning after one of the Walk Down Abbey Road shows (in 2001), and watched Parsons order and eat six hard-boiled eggs and wash them down with a glass of grapefruit juice. Psychedelic breakfast? Not quite. But it sure turned my stomach. :-)

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 199
PF releases seems to have been discussed recently:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=12377501

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 289
AL,
This is great news. Thanks.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 239
And it gets even better. According to an interview with Nick Mason, published in
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk, Animals and WYWH are out next year. Probably together in a double SACD album, it seems.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 352
Could an actual Pink Floyd reunion be in the works???

http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/roger_waters_news/2nd10200403.htm

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 353
...or maybe not.

http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/roger_waters_news/14th10200403.htm

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 271
I'm not able to check the sources, but rumours are persistent:

http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/calendar_2005.htm

Cheers
AL

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 413
Arnold, Seamus, and other PF fans,
A little late, but did anyone else catch Roger Waters and Eric Clapton performing an accoustic version of "Wish You Were Here" on the Tsunami Aide concert televised last night? Interesting rendition.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Yep, saw it last night. It was repeated later also. Maybe it'll repeat today sometime. Sounded real good. There was the 3 girl singers with them also. It was played all acoustic. Just too short, we always want more. There was much other good music on the fund raiser also.

Anonymous

The quadrophonic mix of DSOTM was just posted on Usenet as an DTS encoded CD image.
Look for CK2401 on alt.binaries.sounds or alt.binaries.sounds.dts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Anonymous
Thanks so much. It was great. reminded me of their concerts in quad. It was fantastic.

Anonymous

tuxedos,hear bezooomy on artistopia.com

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 482
Very interesting news from the Brain Damage website.....

PINK FLOYD REUNITE WITH ROGER WATERS FOR LIVE 8 CONCERT

Live 8
Live 8
Since the Live 8 concert was announced at the end of May, the rumour mill has gone mad with claims that Pink Floyd were playing at the show. Brain Damage were called this morning by Pink Floyd's manager with the fantastic news that the band ARE INDEED reuniting with Roger Waters to play the Hyde Park, London Live 8 show, on July 2nd!

I was told that David Gilmour only made the decision on Friday night, which no doubt prompted a hectic day yesterday, getting the others - Nick Mason, Richard Wright, and old bandmate Roger Waters - committed to the show. David was keen for us to share this with you; they did not decide to participate weeks ago, and have just left it until now to maximize publicity...

David had this to say about the landmark action to reform the band:

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world. It's crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations. Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."

Obviously, the question comes to mind: how did the reunion come together? Here's what the band's manager told us: "Bob [Geldof] engineered it, he talked to David and he [Bob] talked to Roger and Roger then called David."

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 402
Yeah, heard it on the news too. Will buy a lottery ticket now, so that I can quit work and go there :-)

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Mojoracer

Post Number: 32
Saw PF in 1994 for the Division Bell concert in San Diego, best concert I have ever seen.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 545
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0601201.html

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 559
Nice. Very nice.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 576
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO, NBC
Th 4/20: David Gilmour

Bronze Member
Username: Gmanchefboy

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 23
My brother has been raving about the latest Gilmore record.

On the subject of Alan Parsons-XM radio is featuring a show with him this week and next. It was on tonight and I missed it. Here's what it says along with the upcoming times and channels.

Alan Parsons 5.1
Recorded in brilliant 5.1 Surround Sound, Alan Parsons and his band perform a series of songs in stunning cinematic sound, as Alan walks us through his career with The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Alna Parsons Project and his current endeavors. An audio tour d force with a true master of sound.

Mon., May 15 at 6PM
The 70s - XM 7
Fine Tuning - XM 76
Deep Tracks - XM 40

Wed., May 17 at 9AM
Deep Tracks - XM 40

Fri., May 19 at 2PM
Fine Tuning - XM 76

Sat., May 20 at 3PM
Fine Tuning - XM 76

Sun. May 21 at 11PM
The 70s - XM 7

I'm assuming those times are Eastern.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 587
Eastern times, yes.

I was at the taping of the show.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4402
Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

R.I.P. Syd Barrett, 1946-2006.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 455
Maybe, just maybe, some progress here: http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/books/mind-over-matter-4-storm-thorgerson-peter-cu rzon-2007.html

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 462
I have finally had the chance to listen to three quad dvd-a digitalizations: AHM, DSotM & WYWH. Regarding sound quality, the Parson DSotM is "pata negra" a we say in Spain, refering to the black legs of the pigs sacrificed for getting top quality Serrano ham. The other two are OK, but there are some shortcomings. And it is IMHO simply unforgivable that the record companies haven't given us decent digital releases of these pieces of cultural heritage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us