IPod boombox ?

Username: Thechef

Post Number: 1
ok..new here..Hi! I have a project going that I need some help! I have a 6x9 speaker box inclosure and some cheap 6x9s(4ohm) to test with. I also have a rampage 120w 2x30 rms amp and an iPod. I want to put it all together to make a portable boombox if you will. So far I have the speakers working with the amp using a 12v auto power supply and an old portable CD player. I have a cable ordered that splits the line level audio from the firewire (power). So getting the audio to the amp no problem, but powering the iPod scares me (dont want to fry it) can I piggy back the firewire +/- to the 12v? On the iPod AC adaptor it says "input AC 100-240v 50/60 hz 26-38va output 12v --- 1.0A" So that tells me the iPod can take the full 12v from the car 12 power supply - CORRECT???? will that be enough power for both the ipod and the amp to share? Then questions down the road:
1) how do I control the volume - before or after the amp?
2) the Amp has two input Hi(5-pin) & Lo(RCA), If the Ipod is plugged into the Lo , can I put in a AUX input from Hi to the rear speakers (already hooked to an Amp) in my truck via an external plug on the speakerbox? How?
3) If (when!) all this works what speakers (good) can I get to put in the box?

So...after all this is done I will have a iPod boombox that I can play by itself out of the back of my SUV (camping) OR just plug the speaker box into the system already in my truck(Louder) OR take the box anywhere with a AC/DC 12v converter to plug in the house!

THANKS!!!!

Post Number: 2
Is this the correct forum? PLZ HELP!!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10127
you'd be better off just buying an ipod and a boombox.
if you want to run this setup in a house, you'll need a high current power supply, and that's going to cost you over $500 for a cheap one.
using proper MDF, the box will weigh a good 40lbs+ which makes it ungainly to move around.
if you want to use an ipod in a car, and the car is louder anyway, just get an FM modulator and run the ipod on the car stereo.

it's great that you're trying to be creative, but honestly the idea is just really impractical.

Post Number: 3
I thought I could just use this:
Upload
and this:
Upload
and this:
Upload
wired like this:
(see next post)

the iPod runs off 12v and the Amp runs off 12v and the 12v adaptor plug steps down 110AC to 12v in the house...so...????

where is the problem ...plz explain!

Post Number: 4
here's diagram:
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10145
thought wrong.

the problem is in amperage.
that dinky rectifier/step down transformer isn't going to provide nearly enough current to power an amplifier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us