Car Subs in the House

Username: Ezmak24

Post Number: 1
I just resently bought a 91 ford ranger (regular cab) and my subs can't fit anywhere in there so I decided I want to hook them up through my sterio system in my house. I want to run them through the amp but how am I suppose to do the power and also what do I do with the remote wire?

I would be very greatful for any help.
Thanx
Nick Makinen

Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
You might be better off using a "plate amp" to power your subs. Or if your receiver has a subwoofer out, you could just use a home audio power amp to run them.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 256
like more said you might be better with a plate
amp.

otherwise you need a very heavyduty 12volt power
supply not some cheap wall transducer.and that
would probably cost you more than a descent amp.
anyways if you had a large power supply you would
just connect the remote trigger to the 12 volt +
or if on of your home audio pieces of equipment
has a 12volt out trigger you can use that, some do.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 257
sorry i meant morrow.

Post Number: 5
No prob, been called worse :-)

Here's some place to start: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=43&Object Group_ID=505

Unregistered guest
wer can i get a 240v amp to run a couple of subs in the house. anyone no

Post Number: 8
For 220-230v sub amps, check out adireaudio.com . Look up amplifiers under the DIY audio page.

Anonymous

is there a way to hook a bass guitar amp to a cd player?

jraudio
Unregistered guest
to hook a bass gtar amp to a cd player ..make sure your amp have two plugins for 1 gtars a low and a hight and try playin threw both with the gtar if they work get a seperate cord and run it to the cd plugin but it wont work if the cd play doesnt have that size hole

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:28 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
is there a way to hook a bass guitar amp to a cd player?

REPLY: Yeah, but the result (sound quality) will make you wish you hadn't.

Unregistered guest
cant i just use a transformer to step down the power from a house socket to the power required for a car amp to power the car subs??

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 322
no read response #2

Anonymous

i have four subs and i want them to run on my home sterio but my home sterio only has one in put for subs and i dont know a lot about amps and what they do so could someone help me and tell me what to buy. thanxs for people that help me

Unregistered guest
i have 2 car subs, and one car amp. is there any way i can make this work for my my house? i can use my cd player from my truck, i have a custom box for it so it looks ok. i just need a power source for the cd player and amp????

Unregistered guest
Personnaly I used a computer powersupply I rebuilded from a scrap pentium4 with a capacitor and it work great but for doing this you need to know how a computer powersupply work and it can be a problem for you because for 12V you need to take a yellow cable on it and a black for the ground.. and to make the powersupply run you need to hijack from the green wire to a black wire on the bigger amount of wire of the powersupply. As I said, it can be difficult but this kind of powersupply can be used to give power to a complete car system in a house (ex. if you lost you license and want to keep your audio material lol)I have pluged Clarion Sub on a Fusion amp and it work great! no more informations :P

Help2005Help
Unregistered guest
Hi if you want to run a car amp in a house you will need a car battery chager i know it sounds weird but trust me it works. You need a 240 VOLT TO 12 VOLT AND 12 AMP battery charger if you are confused about the REM (remote just use to switch the amp on) just connect this to 12 Volt Positive. I am currently running a FUSION AMP AND SUB and it works great any probs or questions email me on pv_2489@hotmail.com

jason b
Unregistered guest
Any 12v dc power supply will do but just make sure you have enough power to handle what you need (A computer supply is realy not a good idea). Also you HAVE to make sure that you connect your speakers properly. 2 4ohm car speakers seriesed togeather will give you 8ohms. If you improperly load your home stereo reciever you will destroy it.

Counterbond@tds.net
Unregistered guest
First off my comment right here is the best one ever...lol full of myself, but yea, i am in the process of doing this right now, and what i am debating on doing is getting a couple more powersupplies from computers, and hooking them up in parallel to make enough power for my amplifier. If you want to find out if you can use a single computer power supply for your amp, Just check how many total amps is the fuse(s) on your amp rated at. If you have a 7.5 amp fuse on your amp, you will be able to use just one power supply. However i am finding that the 50 watt amp that i have is definately not enough power to even run one sub and its bridged. So what my next step is, is to get two or three more psu's and hook them up in parallel. for a total amperage rating of about...25-32amps which would be perfect to run a decent amp in my room. WARNING-hooking this many psu's up in a chain, is a very large drain on how much power is on one circuit for your house. I dont remember the exact amount of wattage you have on each line, but be careful you don't go over your limit. If you do, you risk burning up your whole electrical wires in your walls, but just the ones for that room. hopefully your circuit breaker will blow in the basement before that happens, but yea, just look on each PSU (power supply unit) and check what it puts out at 12 volts. i have a total of 7 psu's lying under my bed as i have begun a collection. i also just to make things nice, tore every wire off the psu's circuit board that i didnt need (all you need are the 12 volt lines, and the same amount of wires with negative lines) peace out, email me if you guys have better ideas. i hurd that if you go the battery charging route, that a battery emits certain gases when charging...anyone hear of this?

patton
Unregistered guest
how would i get power to a audiobahn car amp to get power.im a teenager so please explain i need to connect it to my stereo in my house and push 2 12" or even 1 12" please help

jason b
Unregistered guest
Look, the reason why you should not use computer supplys in paralell like that is the regulator circuits will begin to cancel eachother out. You will not get the correct constant voltage and current you desire. It works in theory but not in real life. You should only use computer PSUs for low current applications like they were designed for.

Anonymous

Is it possible to test a car cd player in your home from a regular outlet? Because I recently purchased a deck off ebay and i want to test it but I dont have a car to test it on.

AdamW
Unregistered guest
jump over to https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/12235.html

Username: Liltrixta3232

EVEYONE WISHING TO SET UP A CAR SUB IN UR HOUSE READ THIS!!!

The easiest way to hook your car subwoofer up in ur room or any where in ur house is through a reciver. We all know what recivers are (the device that your home audio speakers plug into and u can adjust the bass n treb, etc) if you have a reciever all you need to do is plug the positive of ur sub to the positive speaker out on ur reciver, same goes for the negative. All you need to do now is turn it on and ur in good shape.

CONS: A car sub is only meant to play bass, when you hook it up to ur reciever speaker out, all the symbols and actual music will come out of you subwoofer, though the sub is not meant for this it still works properly, just USE WITH CAUTION IF YOU ARE RUNNING EXPENSIVE SUBS!! so if u can find a reciever at a second hand store with a preamp or subwoofer out you are in good shape and can aviod possible destruction of your vioce coils.

TRUST ME IT WORKS, right now im running a 150 watt crap xplod through an old school reciever n the sub hits like it ever did in my car. I ALSO HAVE a alpine 12" type R in the compound reflex box (400W RMS). I hooked that up to the same reciever through only one terminal n the sub hit! trust me these recivers may only be rated fer 100W but because they are directly connected to the wall the power supply is unlimited, so if u have high powered subs you can slam them.

WHAT ABOUT DC AC YOU ASK? the subwoofer doesnt depend on dc or ac power, it will run off of either, it is the amplifier that can only run off of dc or ac, and because the recievers have amps in them you dont have to worry about it, just hook ur subs up and they will hit!!

JUST GO TO A SECOND HAND STORE IF U DONT HAVE ONE AND PICK UP A $30 RECIVER!!!

EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AT ALL liltrixta3232@yahoo.com

Alex Reavie
Unregistered guest
Most of u guys are gonna destroy ur equipment by the sounds of it. First of all don't run anything off a battery from inside the house. A battery emits explosive hydrogen gas. A battery charger will work for a while except that it is designed for a steady load and not dynamic music. The charger will not last very long. The best way to run car subs is through the house receiver. For every one channel that you hook up there must be 2 car subs hooked up in series. Car equipment is rated at 4 ohms and home equipment at 8 ohms. If you hook up only one sub to each channel it will drawn twice the current that the reciever is designed to output and you may fry the board in the receiver. This is why when you hook up a single sub to a house stereo it puts out so much more.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1588
i got bored reading everything lol, but if you want to fix all your amplifier problems just look into buying a dj amp, basically the same exact thing as a car amp, but it plugs into the wall

Anonymous

i have 2 12" mtx subs , a custom box and a 500 watt amp. i need to know if how to power my amp and subs, and if i need to ground the amplifier and what to ground it to . please help me!

Anonymous

i have 2 12" mtx subs , a custom box and a 500 watt amp. i need to know if how to power my amp and subs, and if i need to ground the amplifier and what to ground it to . please help me!

sel63
Unregistered guest
Asuming you are talking about a 12V car amp and whether or not to ground the case of the amp to the chassis, then no! Never groung the amp it will casue ground loop interference; a small current will flow through the amps ground cable and back out through the case. Also the ground cable for the amp sould be as short as possible for best results. Make sure to have a good connction for the cable to the chassis also, i.e. scrape of any paint etc.

Hope that is what you were after!

hip hop
Unregistered guest
if u bye a 700 watt subwoofer than would u have to buy a 700 watt house amp

Soof
Unregistered guest
This is sooo confusing. I dont have my subz here with me at the moment but ill look at them and get bak to u's on the volts and ohms and whatever else they say writen on them. But i can tell u that i got 2 pioneer subz in a huge sub box with all that fiber glass material on it (some1 told me it was good) and i got a amp its from japan so i cant understand it ,i scamed it from my cuz, But it has that lil chip in it so it wont blow up and i got a bunch of wires and cables and that. What else do i need??? Batteries??? A big one that is like heeps big volts or sumfing???
p.s. I dunno anything about this system thing im a girl!!!!
lol wb plz sumone:-)

DJ_Suess
Unregistered guest
In order to hook you amp + subs to a receiver you are going to need a 12v dc power supply for you amp. The best and cheapest way to do that is go to your local computer store and get high a wattage computer power supply (400w-450w). goto http://www.antennex.com/preview/archive3/powers.htm for more info. I would not recommend using a battery because it emmits explosive gas when charging. as for the remote start you can connect to the 5+ volt wire(red wire) from the psu. be carfull not to leave you amp running for very long. because it can over heat and die. I have not acctually done this but I have though about it over the last few years.

Bronze Member
Username: Trev87

Glennville, Georgia Usa

Post Number: 53
ok i have 1 12" crappy sub that i wanna hook to my home stereo but i have no idea how to do it ive tried hooking it up like any other speaker runnin + to + and - to - and that doesnt work i have tried anything else so what should i do

Unregistered guest
Does anybody know how to hook up a home theatre active sub to a car? If so, what are the pro's and cons? thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 31
Seriously, why can't you guys just use car equip in the car and home equip at home? it's not that hard, and there are hard hitting subs and quality highs for both the home and car if you know where to get them (ie, not best buy and wal-mart, you hilljacks!). Seriously, just use your equip the way it was supposed to be used.

Username: Maximustexas

Austin, TX US

Post Number: 3
Sure you can use car subs in your home system.

I just built a sub box with two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs I originally had in my jeep.
They are 8ohm so they matched up nicely with the amp I am using to power them.
I have an old Yamaha AX630 to power the speakers and it's connected via pre-out to my new Yamaha RXV650.
It has a great sound and it only cost me the $ for the 3/4 MDF and paint.

jc43089
Unregistered guest
I have a computer power supply which outputs 12volts
and it powers my 2 six inch subs but i wouldnt recommend using a very large amp like over 100watts i have a panasonic house system and im running 2 sony 12inch, 2 Zenith 10 inch and the original 2 panasonic 6.5 inch subs and it hits hard 460watts total. I have hooked up my car subs (jl audio 10w0)
to my house system and it works really good if you have a good system in your house then i would just hook the subs it.

Unregistered guest
Hi i have a 160 watt amp and a 6.5 inch 100watts rms sub and want to use it in the house i have a home stereo with a subwoofer out on it and just wondering about how to power the amp up i know
that amps aint really 12volts most are 14.4 volts
but still works with a 12volt powersupply i dont want to run them with a battery but dont want the hassel of charging it my mate said to run them of a AT power supply witch has a power switch and connect the 12volt plus to 12volt plus on the amp aswell as connect to the rem and connect the 12 volt - to the ground connection on the amp

the Ricardovich
Unregistered guest
I have two 12 inch subs in the trunk of my car powered by a 1000 watt amp. Can I send my guitar through the amp's RCA and rock through the subs? Has anyone tried this or even added an effects petal to the mix?

Username: Loud123

i have a labtech pulse485 meant for the computor and i have it set up to my mp3 is there any way i can have a sub running off it . thanks to anyone that helps

I'm so lost.......
Unregistered guest
Hey I recently wrecked my car n I have 2 12inch Memphis Subs and a 500W amp and a 400W amp that i had to take out. They are just sittin in my house I read all the stuff above and am still confused...i have one of those rechargable scooter things that has a twin 12V rechargable batteries...Is it possible to hook up those batteries n run at least 1 of my amps??? They are "maintanance free sealed lead-acid batteries". I also have 3 crap computers that i can take apart n use the power supplies from them if thats what u guys mean....??? Thanx any help will be much appreciated....

XitipwbX
Unregistered guest
you guys should try bridging the subwoofers...it works great for me. Also, there is a way to power the subs in your home, but you'll need a few things to do it. The way you would do it is through your desktop computer or laptop. You would need a reciever, motorcycle or car battery, and a amp. What you would do is connect your computer by the line out/AUX to the reciever. The car battery goes into a outlet in your house. It connects to the amp and so on. Then you connect your subs to it. A simple way, but even more riskier is to just take your reciever and connect it to your computer. And from there to your subs but there mite be a chance that itll blow. So be careful when your doing it. If you have any questions feel free to email me at -- Itipwb@hotmail.com

Joe12345678
Unregistered guest
The safest and best way to hook a car subwoofer up to a home audio system is through an amplifier designed to be used in the home (duh). Find a spare receiver, or if the one you are using has a spare set of speaker terminals use that. Refer to the manual of the receiver to determine the output wattage at both 4 and 8 ohms. Many of the higher quality receivers will put out almost double the wattage at 4ohms versus 8ohms. Set up the impedences on your subs to match that power output and ohm load and you're in business. For wiring diagrams to make it simple visit www.rockfordfosgate.com and look under wiring diagrams. Now that the hardest part is over, you need to find a way to filter out the higher frequencies that the sub(s) were not meant to play. A resistor in series with the sub will do this, or if your home theater receiver has a dedicated subwoofer output, use that with an external amplifier to drive the subs. This may require you to spend a little more money, but at least you won't have to worry about killing yourself while taking a pc power supply apart, and then possibly burning your house down later due to faulty wiring. Good luck!

Anonymous

The best way to hook up a car audio sub in the house is through the Ultra X-Connect power supplies. they are rated about 38amps on the +12v rail, and have been reviewed to be quite accurate. right now, i am running a massive setup in my home, and its very nice.. setup is as follows:

(1) RE XXX12 - Ported box tuned to 28Hz
(1) Infinity Kappa Perfect components (pair) - small sealed box to house the components
(1) Elemental Designs NINe.1 amplifier (1200rms)
(3) Ultra X-connect power supplies going into the NINe.1
(1) Orion 6002 Amplifier (2x150rms@4ohm)
(1) Ultra X-Connect power supply going to the 6002
(1) Alpine CDA-9855 Head Unit

I have been running this same equipment, no replacements, no outages, no problems.. since the beginning of this year. Each X-Connect power supply has 2 fans to take care of any heating problems. The only disadvantage to this idea is that I haven't really found a way to watch movies without getting a $1000 head unit with a 7" LCD screen to watch movies on. But for music, just wow. I really can't even turn it up to full volume, it fills my whole basement with sound quite nicely. For any questions you can email me at ffdfjk2@yahoo.com (yes it's real). To all of you who think that PC power supplies are obsolete and cannot handle their absolute rated specs, i suggest you think again.. read some reviews. if you want a link, http://www.ap0calypse.com/showthread.php?t=904
one of MANY reviews to prove my point. as with any realm in the electronics world, the PC world has brands that are good, and brands that are bad. Good luck with your DIY projects people, if it weren't for people like you this world would be much more dull!

Anonymous

also, allow me to note that these power supplies aren't very expensive either. I have gathered a list of the sites that sell them cheap for people that are interested.

$69 - http://www.digitallyunique.com/ult31556.html
$69 - http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Pr oduct_Code=100964&Category_Code=ps-generic
$76 - http://www.caplinktech.com/prodDescription.asp?ref=dt&itemnumber=1891
$75 - http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?page=productpage&affid=2&pn=ULT31556
$76 - http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Processors&cat egory%5Fname=24g24c152s706&product%5Fid=649041

Username: Loud123

Post Number: 3
hi i was wondering if there was any sites that sell mtx subwoofers cheap.

random person
Unregistered guest
hey does any one in here know how to take a car aftermarket cd receiver and use it in the house? like how to wire it so i can turn it on

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3516
now why would you want to do something like that?

Anonymous

i was thinking about purchasing the ultra x connect power supplies like somebody else suggested, especially since they are on sale right now for 49.99 from tigerdirect (for the highest end model).

can you link these together to get more power out of them? also, which of the included cables would be used to power a car sub? any ideas/suggestions would be great, thanks.

tldrtnjb
Unregistered guest
i have a phoenix gold octane R5 (500W, 4 channel) and im running 2 12's bridged, and im running my amp off of 2 car batteries and 2 battery chargers, so is it bad to run your amp with low ampers? because my blue LED light on top dims when i have it pounding. so i must not have enough amps, its supposed to run at 50A and im probaly running 4-8A, sorry for the confusing message im really high.

fungames
Unregistered guest
So if I had 4 10" kenwood tornados(car audio) with a 500 watt rms plate amp would that work or would that be an over kill? they handle 300 watts rms a piece.

I would also buy a small power supply for the cd player and my 4 6 1/2".

Unregistered guest
I have 4 car subs in custom enclosures for home surround system. I used the sub output to a Adcon preamp then used the cd output to a peavey crossover then that goes to a peavey 500 watt amp/ This system will blow a lighter out in the middle of the room. Heavy bass down to 30hz.

Unregistered guest
i have just bought a 12" JVC car sub. and im wondering is it possible to run it off a home stereo
with out an amp? if there is anyway to do this please email me the instructions to:

no1_superflypimp@hotmail.com

from
Nart

Deepbass
Unregistered guest
I'm considering getting a powered 15" subwoofer for the home. However, I'd rather have a very powerful 15" competition-level car sub (500 watts RMS or more) and a cheap DJ amp to power it because I believe large high powered SPL competition-level car subs give a stronger and deeper low end then low wattage house subs. I have seen some home theater powered subs with as much RMS power as car competition subs but thay cost an arm and a leg (Well over $1000).

After reading this thread (which I find very interesting) I feel like the cheapest, best, and safest way to power a car sub in your house is through a home stereo receiver or DJ amp (if the reciver's internal amp is not powerful enough).

How does the idea of a Nady XA-900 amp (rated at 400W RMS per channel at 8 ohms, 300W RMS per channel at 4 ohms, 675W RMS bridged at 4 ohms) running through a single Kicker S15L7 sound?
Or get a really powerful DJ amp and run an 18" Kicker Solo X through it!!!!! WIth that system at high volume, you might just lose your windows!!!!

Anyway, I bet with a DJ amp, your subs would SAFELY hit just as hard in the house as they would in your car.

Deepbass
Unregistered guest
Oh yeah, you can also use home amps if they're powerful enough to run your sub. Also, you'll need a crossover and if you go the DJ amp route, be careful not to overpower the subs and blow them!!

I really want to try this kind of a setup myself and see how well it works as powered home subwoofers are low wattage and high priced.

Deepbass
Unregistered guest
Oh yeah, you can also use home amps if they're powerful enough to run your subs. Regardless of the amp used, look into getting a crossover and be careful not to overpower the subs and blow them, especially if you go the DJ amp route!!

I really want to try this kind of a setup myself and see how well it works as powered home subwoofers are low wattage and high priced.

Username: Hasabig_2005

ya i have 2 12" 1200watt sony xplodes and a 1000 watt xplode amp and i want to know the cheapest way to hook the up in my house and also a 200watt sony zplode car cd player

basslova
Unregistered guest
i know how to power my subs and amp but can anyone tell me if it is possible to hook them up to my laptop computer.

Anonymous

OH MY F.U.C.K.I.N.G GOD look at all these godamn questions

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 101
To hook up ur car amp and sub to ur computer/discman/mp3 or wateva player do this:
Get a 1/8 stereo headphone jack to rca jack converter to send a signal from ur computer ect. to ur amp then use any old 12v power supply or sealed rechargeable battery and connect + to + to REM(remote)on amp then - to - then hook up sub(s) and ur in business

basslova
Unregistered guest
so the amp will act as a receiver and the jack can hook into you headphonejack on your computer????????

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 222
yes

callan05
Unregistered guest
hey i got a car amp and i want to put it in my room , wat kinda power supply or transformer would i need to do this ? or is thre anything else i can get that will do this for me.

callan05
Unregistered guest
can i use a computer supply box to run my car amp? if yes wich wires do i use ,i.e ,wat colour

Unregistered guest
Ok guys. Here's is the best way to get 12VDC at a peak of about 233A. Here's what you do. Find an old microwave, non-working, because it is usually not the transformer that is burnt out. Open it up and remove the transformer (the big heavy square thing for those that are uneducated..) Once removed, grab a hammer and a chisel and chisel off the secondary winding (the small thin wire wound around it several thousand times) Once the secondary is removed, get some ten gauge stranded, coated wire, and wind it around where the secondary was about 15 turns. After you're done winding, get out a multimeter, plug the primary into the wall (be careful), set the multimeter to AC and check if it giving 12V. If it is, then you did everything right so far. Now you have to find or make a full-wave rectifier. If you want to make one, check car alternators for some decent diodes which have high ratings. After the rectifier is wired in to the transformer, you have to find a reservior capacitor to smooth out the pusled DC voltage. 15V+ at at least 10,000uF should be decent. Wire that in a parallel with the rectifier, and you now have yourself a 12VDC high amperage power supply for your amplifier and subs.

DEEZ
Unregistered guest
Oh, and for those that want to know - that's about 2800 watts.

jackyboy
Unregistered guest
be carefull if you do what deez says, you could end up getting shocked by about 2800 watts.. :-)

benjamin j.
Unregistered guest
Hi
I have a 1600watt car amplifier that i wanted to power in my room....can anyone help me out with powering something like this? where do i start? It seems like everyone else is just powering up little 300watt amps that they can easily power up....can someone help me please? If not, atleast help me on telling me how to power up my kenwood reciever...
thanks - ben
email me at ebaylover148@hotmail.com

callan05
Unregistered guest
so is it ok to use a computer supply box or is the amperage to low to run a car cd deck or amp ? can i sumhow increase the amperage to wat i want ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us