Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through September 10, 2004Me100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 40
Sorry Alex, didn't get the chance. However, the fact that the power amps on their own are silent simply means that what I'd hear with another preamp attached is that preamp's noise.

Toroidal transformers have a higher magnetic field as far as I know, but I could be wrong about that. Toroids are also notorious for generating hum. Naim equipment for example can suffer from hum quite a bit, especially when you have dirty mains when the toroids literally sing in unison with the noise on the mains. Toroids are usually dipped in wax which dampens this effect, but even with the quality transformers in Naim amps (Naim charge £900 for their middle of the road power supply!) you still get hum occasionally.

C-Core or frame transformers also suffer from hum, but this tends to be a constant hum as opposed to a hum dependant on the mains quality. Most tube amps use large frame transformers and this is why they tend to hum more than most transistor amps.

The hiss noise in preamps is nothing really to do with the transformers. Transformers create hum. Hiss is just as much down to poor regulation as it is the use of low quality materials and components.

Finally don't forget that through the speakers, my amps did not hiss very much at all, indicating that the basic design of the preamps is fairly quiet (at least on my samples!). The headphone sockets did hiss quite a bit and the same on each amp, indicating to me that the same circuit is used. I suspect both models have a very basic headphone circuit with little to no regulation. It's an afterthought I think and you're particularly unlucky since you do a lot of headphone listening.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Alexfromholland

Post Number: 22
Frank,

You mentioned that the amps didn't hiss at all through your speakers. What speakers are you using ? And what is their sensitivity ?

Again, through my Celestion F30 the NAD T743 hissing is very well heard up to 5 meters distance!

BTW, I am keeping my NAD T743, which I think is a great piece of equipment, despite the hissing.

Bottom line it is the quality of the sound that counts, not the quality of the silence ;p

Bronze Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 41
Alex

Focal Jmlab Chorus 726S's which are 91db/w/m with 8 ohm impedance, so a touch more sensitive than the Celestions. I had the volume set to -10db. At 3m I couldn't hear hiss. In fact I could hear a little hiss from 1 metre. No I am not deaf. :-)

I really don't know what to suggest, especially since it's been back to NAD. Of the ones you tried I'd have gone with the NAD on the basis of sound quality. I guess the only other solution is to ask the dealer to take it back and offer you something else. Then listen to it at home before you buy to make sure you'll be happy with it.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Meursault

Post Number: 9
I have a quick (slightly off-topic) question. Is NAD pronounced "N-A-D," as in "en, ay, dee" or "nad", rhymes with "bad"? I know it used to be an acronym, but that was a long time ago. I don't have a dealer around here and I'm trying to not sound like a loser on the phone.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Canada

Post Number: 17
GUys I'm back.I checked everything last night until I saw these jumpers. I removed them and the result no hiss, at last I heard the NAD without hiss for the first time =). Because of too much excitement I went up to my room and used the pc and post what happened and forgot to put back those jumpers.I woke up so early the next day and was so eager to hear the nad but there was no sound. I checked again everything till I saw these jumpers on the carpet and when I put them back the sound came back and so the hiss. I realized that these connect the preamp to the final amp so removing them the signal does not reach the amp and now I know =(.Anyways I'll update everyone when the sales rep returns on Monday. I'm in Toronto and NAD is only about 20-30 kms away from my place. Sorry for my grammar,just migrated here in Canada and still learning the english language. Till then.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 642
larz, any news for upgrades for current hissing NADs?

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 20
Probably and hopefully we can get an answer early next week. The sales rep is out of town and my dealer should talk to him first before going to the technical department.I'll keep you posted.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I have being followed this notes closely and today I went and audit several receiver: Rotel 1058, NAD T773, Denon 3805 and 5803, Yamaha RXV2400, Korell (amplifier and preamp) and Sunfire. For all of them, I have played the Dire Straits CD and especially the "Privet Investigation". All these receivers I have checked with B&W and KEF speakers. Then, I have asked the dealer to disconnect the DVD input and increased the volume to maximum. And finally, during the play CD, I have paused the DVD as well. With these evaluations -- One: playing CD, 2nd: Paused the DVD, and 3rd: with out any input and with max volume, I wanted to check the hiss level if at all.

I have found that all these receivers with KEF have hiss noise audioable from 2-3 meter from the front speakers. I have found that Sunfire and Yamaha receivers were the highest noise audioable from 2 meter and then all the rest of the receivers were at the same level of hiss noise.

I also found that with the B&W speakers the level of the hiss noise was reduced but still was audiable from 1 meter with all the receivers -- but still it was the hiss noise was there in all the receivers.

Next, when I have paused the DVD, and increased the volume to max, I have heard the hiss noise in all the receivers -- and it was with the KEF and B&W speakers.

Finally, when I played the CD Dire Straits and "Privet Investigation" song I could hear hiss noise just from the tweeter -- but just when I put my ear on the speaker. Acorrding to the dealer, this hiss noise is from the CD record.

I think that I concluded my conclusion: All receivers and even high end amplifier with preprocessor like Korell have level of hiss noise -- and it's not unique phenomena to one or two receivers. I have like the Korell sound a lot and after that immediately the NAD was the closet clean sound to the Korell (and it was surprising me that it was not the Sunfire). If you looking for receiver or system (pre amp. And amp.) free noise it will be very difficult to find it and having saying that -- I think it will be impossible (although it is not math proof...).

Please let me know if you have any further question about my little study with this hiss issue.

Thanks, Daniel

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 410
Daniel,

Great report!!! That is all very interesting. It sounds like you had a productive day. That sounds like it was fun. You got to listen to some great receivers/amps. You must have a wonderful dealer.

By the way, that song, "Private Investigations" by Dire Straits is WONDERFUL for audtioning receivers. I have used that same song for quite awhile to audition receivers. Simply amazing sound. It sure lets you know pretty quick which receivers can "cut the mustard".

Once again, great report, I would be interested to hear more!!

Anonymous

Daniel,

When you pause a CD or DVD it will produced noise coz you have inputs. What I want to know is just power up the receivers, no input and only the speaker are connected and turn the volume even not on the max. level.Did you try it?The T743 that starts from 00db even you turn the volume to -74db just 1 increment it produces hiss.You said its very difficult to find receivers that does not hiss, well I found some, the Marantz and HK.I brought these at home and compare with the T743 and only the NAD had hiss. One thing more, when you power on the NAD and place your ear about a few inches from the speaker you can hear the click of the relay on the speaker (should not be) while the Marantz and HK don't.

Silver Member

Post Number: 656
I agree with Anon. What I'm interested in is the level of hiss with low listening volumes. I dont care about hiss at max volumes because I never use it.

With my NAD the level of hiss is the same whether the volume is -74dB (music almost inaudible and totally covered under the hiss) or -15dB (very loud music, cant hear hiss).

Username: Petarst

Post Number: 7
Hi guys,

Maybe T773 doesn't have that problem with hiss?

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Hi all again,

Well, Today I went and audited the ARCAM pre amplifier with the amplifier (FMJ AV8 Preamplifier processor) and I did the same test as I did yesterday with all other receivers (Yamaha RXV2400, Denon 3805 and 5803, Korell, Sunfire and NAD T773). The only different test from yesterday was with the speakers, since it was different dealer today, I was not able to use the KEF and or the B&W, so I used the JMLAB (it was Utopia stanfloor speakers but not sure what model one). And today, with this high end system, I was not surprised when I heard the hiss noise at max volume level with no input and while I paused the CD player -- same results as yesterday and same noise level. As I wrote yesterday, it probably will be impossible to find a receiver and or pre amp. with amplifier free hiss noise. It will be there in some level.

I agree that the NAD T773 might not have this issue, and actually, based on my study, I can say that the level of the hiss noise of NAD T773 is the same as all other receivers and high end pre amp. And amplifiers that I have audited (see my note above from yesterday as well).

Now, I think that from what I am reading about the NAD T743 that there might be an issue with your receiver, thought all my study so far shows me that there is not a lot of different from design point of view between the 743 and 773 -- although there are some.
The only thing I can say is if you see movie or lesion to music -- do you hear that hiss noise? If yes, then something is wrong with your receiver, and if not, I will not change it if yu like the sound. As you are trying to develop new method on non standard receiver operation to evaluate the hiss noise level, and as I wrote I think it is normal for all receivers.

Finally, I think that NAD developed something amazing with the sound quality, with all my study and audition, the only two systems that sounded better then the NAD T773 were the Korell and the ARCAM AV8 (BTW -- the NAD T773 sound quality is better then the ARCAM AVR300 for me -- way a head especially with the ERAS mode). The sound of MARANTZ with the JMLAB speakers was missing something in my view (might be the warm and natural at the same time as the Korell, ARCAM AV8 and the NAD sounded).

Again, I do not intend to say that the NAD T743 receivers are free hiss noise, just based on my little study which covered others "high end" receivers and pre amp. with amplifiers systems, I can say for sure that I was able to say:

1. Sunfire and Yamaha had the highest noise with no input connection and or when I paused the CD player and receivers were at max volume.
2. All other receivers (see above) have some hiss level at max volume and without any connection input and or when I paused the CD player.
3. When I play the CD Privet Investigation Dire Striate, I was able to hear hiss noise (when I put my ear on the speaker) from all the receivers and pre amp and amp. Systems -- and it probably came from the CD record.

And yes, you probably want to have an audition side by side and decide which receiver you like from sound quality point of view -- MARANTZ vs NAD, and I will be surprise if the MARANTZ will win -- just from sound quality point of view -- but again it is also depend on your test as well.

Hope that I help a little bit with this data -- it is just something to think about.

Good luck with your decision what ever it will be; I am sure you will be happy with it -- just go for it!

Please feel free to ask any further question.

Thanks, Daniel

Username: Petarst

Post Number: 8
Hi Daniel,
I was yesterday at my dealer and i have listend denon 3805 and 320bee in stereo. All i can say abought this that nad little amp eat that Denon in Stereo! I have listend it on monitor audio S6 and on mission m53 speakers. Also on some referent songs i have noticed that Denon can't control bass completly, but in case of NAD 320bee it is different story.
I didn't listen t773 but it should be better in stereo format than Denon 3805.
i am interesting if nad receiver can compare in stereo with nad 320bee amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
Daniel, thx for your reports, although I would have liked to read about testing the hiss of different receivers with normal listening volumes. Hiss at max vol doesn't interest me one bit.

Petar, I know what you mean, the NAD sound in stereo is just great. The T743 cant keep up with the 320Bee, but the T753 should be closer and the T763 and T773 probably even better.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
landroval,

Sorry if I was not clear with my two reports, with normal listening volume, I did not success to hear the noise of these receivers unless I have put my ear on the speakers. As of that I have decided to take these "experiments" to extreme: with max volume with three conditions:

1. No input connections to the receiver.
2. DVD Input connected to the receiver.
3. DVD Paused.

And this is to evaluate the hiss level of each receiver on the extreme point -- to help me hear if there are different between the receivers.

And finally, playing the "Privet Investigation" as it "quite" song (if I may say so) is on normal volume -- so I will be able to understand the hiss level with standard operation: CD Connected, Play, and normal volume listing mode.

All in all, as I wrote, during the normal listening to the Privet Investigation song, I was able to hear hiss noise just if I put my ear on the speaker -- and it was on all the receivers and pre amp. and amplifier systems -- and it is due to the CD record.

Hope that this clarify and helps you to understand that with the receivers and pre amp and amplifier systems I have tested and audited including at normal operation at listening mode -- I did not find any issue with any receiver / system.

Now, If I were to buy a system with no budget limit I will choose (from what I have listening so far):

1. Krell pre amp with amplifier with B&W speakers - Nautilus 802
2. ARCAM AV8 Pre amp with amplifier with JMLAB Utopia stanfloor
3. NAD T773 with B&W speakers - Nautilus 802 (the NAD and the Rotel were in the same place -- Did not heard any deferent, one can argue Rotel should be before NAD -- OK too).
4. Rotel RSX 1067 With B&W 703
5. Denon 5803 With KEF
6. ARCAM AVR300 With JMLAM
7. MARANTZ With JMLAB
8. Denon 3805 with KEF
9. Yamaha RXV2400 -- Did not like it at all for music...
This is just my list...
Please let me know if this clarify my experiment and the logic behind it -- and hope that it makes sense to you now.

Thanks, Daniel

Silver Member

Post Number: 661
Yes, thanks, I see what you did.

My setup is a little different with short distances from speakers, and usually quite low listening volumes. Right now I listen Private Investigations with my T743 with volume set at -50dB. I can easily hear a constant hiss from the speakers which really kills the beauty from the song. If I pause the music the hiss remains. I can hear the hiss from 10 feet distance.

I hope larz would have good news about the upgrades.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 90
Daniel, very nice posts. I have always suspected that the posters have been unusually hard on the NADs without holding the other receivers to the same standards. That is not to say that there isn't a proper concern about hissing.

Landroval, are you listening to CDs with a CD player or a DVD player? How is it hooked up to the receiver? Could the problem be the CD/DVD player and not the receiver?

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
Nope, it's the receiver. I've tried it with my universal DVD-A/V player, CD-player and computer all with both analog and digital. I've also tried all these players with my Sony receiver and there was no mentionable hiss.

Bronze Member
Username: Persvako

North Europe

Post Number: 49
Why don't you believe us, Jonathan? With no devices attached there is the hiss. Always, every second.

Some NAD's have this really annoying issue. Easiest this is to hear with headphones, no need for speakers. It is easy, just plug it in and listen. I'd like Daniel to try 743 and 753 also, these are those with most of complains. 773 is too expensive, so almost nobody will buy it. Try as little volume as possible, that is the best way to review which unit has the greatest hiss. After that, increase the volume little by little and hear if the hiss is increasing also...

Anonymous

Meursault

NAD is acronym for New Acoustic..... Dimension or Distortion?

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

It seems to me that you have a problem with the NAD T743 receiver. I have provided you some tool to compare the receiver performance, and I think that now with this you have an oppertunity to do so. I admit that I didn't compare the mid range receivers like NAD T743, ARCAM AVR200, and so on. The only thing that I can say - and this is without data it is just based on my comparision (see above), that the NAD T753 probably will be the best one from sound point of view - as I have heard the NAD T773 and from sound point of view it was the best receiver after the preamp. and amp Krell and ARCAM AV8 systems.

I will be glad to see if you can do the same test I did for the mid range receivers and what are the results.

Good luck, Daniel

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 91
Persvako, I didn't say I don't believe you. I said that I felt that some were more critical of the NAD than of other receivers. I had trouble with the first NAD I bought and I have always advised anyone buying a NAD to buy from a trustworthy dealer to deal with the issues. I thought Daniel showed that other receivers have similar hiss than the NAD. My point would be simply that others may not be as critical of other receivers. Additionally, a hiss that is audible from the listening position would be a defect that would make me return the unit. Earlier I pointed out, in response to your statement that the hiss was a problem with all 7x3 units, that I don't believe that is correct nor do I have a similar problem with my 763. But I am not saying that your experience is incorrect and certainly not Landrovals experience. I am sorry you are having these problems. It is also too bad because otherwise the NAD units are pretty fine receivers.

Username: Ray

Post Number: 5
I have just send a mail to NAD saying this.. Let's see if they reply back.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a NAD T743 receiver along with NAD c521BEE Cd player. However I was doing some research and I found that there are lot of complaints for the new T7x3 line of receivers regarding the "hiss" issue. There are a lot of discussion in a forum https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/92714.html regarding this as well. My question to you is that:

1. How did you guys miss this issue?

2. Are you doing anything to solve this problem?

3. Have you instructed the dealers to help consumers/customers to resolve this problem?

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thank you Ray!!

I hope that you get some feedback from NAD (but i doubt it). Perhaps they put a warning sticker on the T7X3's in the future. Something like: "Do not use with sensitive speakers and do not use this device with headphones."

Alex

Bronze Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 50
Alex

But that would be true of ANY amp (whether it's a receiver or not).

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 73
Frank whats the prob with your email address? Ive been trying to send you an E.mail but it is returning back as not able to deliver.

Bronze Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 54
Robert

No idea - it seems to be working now!

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
Any news from larz or Ray? Updates, fixes?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I returned my T743 and refunded my money. I don't know if NAD is telling the truth or just playing around. Last time they said it was a software problem and after a week they gave a new one. I tried it at home and was still the same. The dealer tested all their receivers and he agreed that NAD is different.Denon and Pioneer had hiss only at max volume while the Marantz was totally quite even at max volume. The NAD started to hiss at -74db.The sales rep told me that he is going to escalate it to the engineering dept. and will give an update asap.Its almost seven days and until now I haven't get any news from NAD.The dealer told me that the new line of Marantz will be out soon and maybe I can give it a try. The SR 5500 a 7.1 + room equalizer same price as the T743, why not! at least I'll have a piece of mind. Good luck Guys

Bronze Member
Username: Ilari72

Post Number: 20
I contacted NAD again, cause my dealer has not replied my last e-mails??
But NAD aswered me :-)
They said me AGAIN that theres a modification available and contact your dealer for assistance.
I will call my dealer. Lets see what happens.

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
Ilari, is your dealer audiocenter.ee? Because they have not replied to me either and it would be nice to get this problem solved.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Yes, i bought my unit also from audiocenter.ee

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 50
I have to join this audiocenter club! I think Janus isn't really excited about the hiss issue...

amonar10
Unregistered guest
Hi

I have told you about several problems encountered with my NAD 753. Well..I have replaced the unit and there was significant improvements - it sounds great. And the hiss? Gone.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 51
What do you mean, replaced?

amonar10
Unregistered guest
I have replaced my T753 WITH another T 753. The one I had before had some serious problems (i.e. switchingh input sources for no apparent reason, switching off, problems with bass management and prominent non volume dependent hiss).
My new T 753 sounds cleaner and the hiss is the same as for other recievers that I heard (harman kardon avr 430, yamaha rx v740 etc). No sign of any other problem.
...and the sound is great. Both in STEREO and EARS (truly amazing, and the only gadget sound format that I find acceptable for music reproduction).

Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 1
I'm trying a Nad T773 with version 1.26 firmware. I have no hiss or humm. The Nad rep was in the local store this week and he told me version 2 firmware was just being released in production this week. How is it possible that some of you already have it? I just ordered the unit this week and am not having it shipped until it has the new firmware.

Also I was told it will have a new type of Dolby Pro-Logic among other major updates. I don't have a list unfortunatly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
The V2 software and updated chips have been available for at least a month. Maybe they still have some old models left which they want to get rid of, though the old models can be updated to new ones.

Username: Ztkavc

Post Number: 7
Hi!

Amonar10 what is your software version of your new T753?

My T753 is one of the first models. There is still audible hiss and hum. The annoying buzzing sound from center speaker was repaired at the service. At that time (6 month ago) they didn't have any solutions for hiss and hum issues. They said that it is normal for NAD receivers.

Is there any news on resolving above problems.

Regards,
Zoran

P.S.
I still own my NAD because of the sound, but I don't know for how long...

amonar10
Unregistered guest
My version is 1.27. There is VERY slight hiss compared to the former unit that I had, but I'm not bothered by it.
The sound is great.
What is the version no of your unit?

Bronze Member
Username: Bien

Post Number: 26
Which buttons do I need to press to display the software verion?

Tone defeat and ....?

amonar10
Unregistered guest
video 6

Silver Member

Post Number: 757
How about with the T743? Tone defeat and video 6 lights up the whole display, but does not show anything about the software version.

On a Finnish forum a guy got an upgraded T753v2 for audition and it also had similar hiss than all the others. I wonder what the engineers at NAD have been doing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Landroval,
T743: You can see firmware version by pressing 'video6' and 'tone control' at the same time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
Ok, thanks, mine is v1.27.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Will pressing tone control and video show the software version on the 763?

I pressed tone defeat and video, and it just reset the reviever.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Also, I wanted to let you guys know that when I had the T753, there was a noticible hiss from the speaker no matter which speaker mode and surround mode is set, but with the T763, I only noticed the hiss in stereo mode at -10 and higher. There was no noticible hiss in any other surround mode.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Mine is also v1.27.
Does anyone have NAD T743 v2.0?
Does it hiss with headphones?
Does it hiss with speakers?

Bronze Member

on my T773 I press the audio first(holding in), the press the video button and then release both, to see the firmware version. It doesn't reset anything on this one.

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Have a 773 version 2 and after a week no hissing. it sounds really good, as a matter of fact. I actually have a technical question though.

I am on a budget so am building the system slowly. For now, I only have two fronts and a center (no surrounds or sub yet). How can I get all 3 speakers to play at the same time? Right now it only playes the two fronts in most of the modes i.e. stereo) and in the enhanced mode where I chose to have front and center playing, only the right front and center play.

What is the problem? Is it b/c I have an old CD player that only plugs into a R and L input on the receiver? Is there something I am missing? I am not totally technically savvy but maybe you NAD users know what I am doing wrong.

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
Hey Robert, what does your T773v2 say when you check the software the way Keith explained on the post above?

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

I'm not home now so I don't know, but I remeber that in the set-up menu, it indicated all speaker channels on. Its notproblem w/ the speaker b/c it works fine in a normal stero mode (works with the other front speaker). Can this have something to do w/ being an old c/d player or too old of a cd or am I off-base w/ that theory? Do i need certain cds to make it play in more than 2 speakers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I have the v1.26 on my T763 but as I have stated before, I do not have any noticible hiss on any of the sound modes other than the stereo mode which hisses slighlty and is only really noticible if I raise the volume to the -10db area.
So, I am not convinced that the hiss problems that everyone is experiencing is a software problem. I had 3 T753s which all hissed but that was not my main problem. My problems with the T753 is that the display would go blank on nonconcecutive occasions and not respond to the remote.

Username: M1sh

Post Number: 2
anybody hear a whine instead of a hiss? This is like the really high pitched thing you hear when you turn on a tube television.( like a ringing in your ears)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I just got my T773 today. I'll let you know if I have a problem with hiss or humm. The salesman told me he spoke with the rep about these issues when he was at his store last week. He told him there were a string of serial numbers that they idendified. The problem was due to some bad boards inside the units that was causing this. You would think quality control would have caught that. The dealer said that for every 10 or so he got from Nad, 3 or 4 would be bad with that problem. He also said the problem has now been fixed.

I just unpacked mine and it has the Version 2 which gets rid of HDCD and adds Prologic IIx. I has that on the box (PLIIx), but the manual doesn't say that. It has a yellow sticker on the box that says Version 2 Operating System. I'll check that once I get it hooked up, and if it humms...knock on wood!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Its version 2.03 firmware. No humm or any noise all all. Working fine so far.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Mathew W,

From what I've seen so far the ENHANCED BASS option turns on the subwoofer when your listening in stereo mode, like from a cd player. I've always liked to have the sub on too. Nice feature.

I'll let you know if I find anything else about that.

Bronze Member
Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 52
Hey Keith,

Can you give me a little more feedback on your purchase as I am thinking about purchasing a 773 in a week or two, I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Sound Advice,
What feedback? Please be more specific. If your looking for a review, I just know it sounds better that my Yamaha HTR-5590...I would estimate 30% better if I had to put it into numbers. Give me some idea what your questions are in more detail please.

Keith

Dan Larsen
Unregistered guest
Hello

A comment to the NAD hissing problem. I talked with NAD, and apparently the noise is related to the preamp section. I bought a DENON 2105 receiver and put a NAD C272 power amp on the front speakers.Result: NO HISS, what so ever. But the rich NAD sound for stereo listening. Plus the DENON surround processor sounds better than NAD's. So I'm very pleased with my hybrid. PLUS no fan noise. Nice. If you have the inclination, give it a try

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Hi Keith,

No real specific questions just an overview of your experience with the product, like: the sound (hiss or not) the hook up (was it painfull or straight forward) any glitches, your overall feeling on the product (would you recommend it)what other receivers were you looking at before making your decision on the Nad and what was the deciding factor (sound/features/reputation?) see what you can put together, I appreciate any comment.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Sound Advice,

I didn't even hear of Nad until 6 weeks ago. I had a state of the art system when I was a teenager. I had been happy with my recent Yamaha HTR-5490 for the longest time. It sounded real good to me for its class. I have been wanting to move up in class for years though. I don't follow new products as closely as I did many years ago.

I felt it was time to move up a class a little, since I had some extra money. And frankly, there are times the Yamaha just sounded flat and hollow. (thats the audiophile in me talking) I'm not hard to satisfy because I love music, but I just wanted to take it up a notch in sound quality.

I'm know expert in electronics, though I have been playing with stereos since I was a kid. I've had many systems. I consider the best systems to be separate components, but I don't want to get into that again with a separate amp, receiver, tuner, etc. Also I didn't feel like shopping all over different stores, even in different states like I did years ago. I had shopped around here at a few stores in Virginia comparing sound of various units, like Pioneer Elite, and Denon. Didn't find anything that bit me like my old component system did that I had in the past.

I think I got lucky by running into this salesman at a local store. He really did know what he was talking about, when it came to good sound. He didn't ask me how much I wanted to spend, which is usually the normal question. I said, I just want something that sounds better than Yamaha. He immediatly mentioned Nad and took me right to this T753. He said it is definatly better than the Yamaha in sound. We had many more words, but he let me take it home and try it out, the store unit that is. You just can't tell how it will sound on your speakers. I took it home and after going through my collection for about a week of music and beer I fell in love with the sound of this thing. He was surely right, it did sound better than my Yamaha. I asked him in the store to give me a number on a scale of 10-100% better. He said 10% better. I know now, he was being very conservative. He laughed when I told him he was being conservative after I had brought back his loaned unit. He admitted he was.

The only thing is that I ended up ruining my midrange speakers because it didn't have enough power and I really cranked it one night and didn't have the soft clip switch on, so the distortion basically blew them. My fault, but it was fun. The distortion at the time wasn't that noticable, though I knew I over done it with that amp. 70 watts per channel isn't enough power for me. But man did it sound good! The music had great dynamics, smooth bass, but punch when it needed it. Great separation and clarity..good highs and resonance...nice spatial quality sound. I would say it exceeded my Yamaha by 30%, except for the power. It got so hot it turned itself off. It has a protection circuit built into it to cut itself off if it gets too hot. Anyway, in two weeks I had new midrange drivers from JBL. They're fixed.

Ok, so the T753 was out for me. Not enough power for long term playing.

Back to the dealer with the 753 and in comes the 773 for two weeks. This is not the newer version 2 though... its the store demo with a older firmware. Same quality sound, but now it packs more power for sustaining at higher volumes. Didn't notice any better sound, though my listening tests weren't as often with the 773. I was looking for sustaining the listening level I wanted. This did it. I do like the fact the firmware can be upgraded through the RS232 port. I am told this has a higher quality power supply than the 753. This beast is heavy at 70lbs. My new unit just arrived last week so its really too early yet for me to give a honest evaluation because I'm just in the burn-in period now. This has the new Version 2 software with Dolby Pro-Logic IIx along with some newer options.

I'm really happy with Nad. The biggest thing for me was more power, but you have to decide if you need it. I listen to music loud 60% of the time. I try to get as close to the real concert sound as I can for a home system. This has reached much closer to that since I took my Yamaha out. Its pricy for the extra power, but you get the upgradability with the serial port for firmware upgrades, and the extra connections in the rear.

The hookup was about the same as any 5.1, 6.1 system. If you don't have a 7.1 system, you'll want to set the speaker settings for the surround back on L, which stands for left only, and make sure you have your surround back center hooked up to the surround back L jack, not the right jack. This was the only confusing part of the hookup. Of course if you have no rear center channel, you won't use this.

The only hiss I heard was normal speaker hiss that I've always had with every stereo system I've ever had, when you put your ear up close to the speaker. I understand in previous units the reason they had hiss and humm was from bad boards in a string of serial numbers. I got this from the Nad factory rep that was in the local store last week.

I've watched a few movies on it and they sound good. I've been listening to music more than movies. Music was my primary concern with this unit.

I'll post more notes about my brand new unit (not the store demo) as time goes on and I have more time to completely get comfortable with it and listen more when the burn-in is complete.

I would hesitate to fully reccommend Nad ONLY because it is my first dealings with Nad and this unit is so new. Keep in mind that the store demo T753 cut off on me. The dealer said this is a heat protection circuit built in. The T773 had a bad coaxial input that would not play the rear center channel. But from knowing the way salesman unplug and plug in wires to these units, I'm not surprised. Nad does have a two year warranty, so I am comfortable with that and my new T773. I feel confident if I have any problems it will be dealt with to my satisfaction through my local dealer. I would not suggest buying a unit online just for this reason. My deciding factor was sound quality.

For what its worth, I've had this T773 for 1 week and no problems. Problems with electronics usually occur within the first two weeks. Also keep in mind that forums for equipment usually talk of problems, not praise. How often would you go to a forum looking for, or specifically posting praise for something. Its usually due to a problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Sound Advice

By the way I did hear the humm and hiss from the store demo unit T753, so I do know what they are talking about it in this forum. Again, my new Version 2 doesn't have this problem. Nad assures me the bad boards in some older serial number strings was the problem and all has been corrected now in the new units.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Keith,

Your review was greatly appreciated, I'm days away from purchasing a 773 myself and I find it really hard to contain myself. My concern also was to find a receiver that would perform very well for Home Theater and also better than most for Stereo sound, I've looked and listened to Rotel 1056, Arcam 300/250, Nad 763/773, Marantz 8400, Denon 3805, HK 630... and I definetly feel comfortable saying that the Nad 773 in price per performance ratio is the clear winner.

I would say in the Future if we are to leave any feedback for Nad, I say let's start a new thread for finally something positive instead of this hiss issue thread.

Thanks again,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Well, it finally happened. With the new T763 I received around July, I mentioned that I only had a hiss coming from the speakers in stereo mode, but now I can hear it in all modes, and I can also faintly hear the ticking coming from the speakers when I raise or lower my volume.

I accidentally did a reset when I was trying to check for the firmware version, and since that time, I can hear the hiss and ticking.
I will fool around a little more with the settings and the speaker wires to see of that will solve any issues.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Bien,

I think the issue will not be solved.Last week my dealer called me and he said that they have a new batch of NAD receivers. He told me also that NAD got all their stocks of receivers including the floor demos to make some updates, that means there is really a problem with the design.NOw when I listened to the new batch, hiss was still there but this time its constant from low to max volume unlike before that hiss increased with volume.According to my dealer, as per NAD its normal and they can't solve it anymore. Now I have a Cambridge Audio 540r at home for audition and so far the sound is amazing and much cheaper than T743 but the power and features are comparable to T753.Good luck and update everyone with your T763

BTW, Before I got the CA 540R I travelled the whole Toronto area and visited almost 7 dealers and found out that all NAD receivers hiss.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 52
"BTW, Before I got the CA 540R I travelled the whole Toronto area and visited almost 7 dealers and found out that all NAD receivers hiss."

That's what I thought too. At least most of them...

I'm very sad and disappointed if that is the final word about NAD. I'm also considering to change the receiver to other brand. :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Hey persvako give the CA 540r a listen but I'm not saying to change your receiver. Give it a try and post your comments afterwards.

Cheers

Bronze Member

My dealer just replaced my unit (T743). The hiss is still there. But my firmware is again v1.27, so i will wait for v2.0x and give NAD one more try.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Same as mine. The new batch I heard was version 1.27 the same version that I returned.So what is the point of saying "new batch" no changes and the hiss is still there.

Ojophile, yes pinoy ito. I think my agimat is useless with NAD. If your talking of 150 Eglinton Ave E., yes including that. I got a CA 540R at Kromer radio, nice sound and you can give it a listen, a good substitute for NAD,comparable to T753 at a bargain price.I was amazed when I heard a CA integrated amp connected to Monitor Audio S2.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
There is a certain amount of hiss that your always going to get with any receiver, through your speakers. I'm sure most of you know that...I just wanted to make those who don't, aware of that fact. But its not usually that audible until you put your ear close to the speaker. It sometimes becomes louder depending on which input you select and if the source of the signal is on or off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Sorry but I disagree.Hiss is not common to all receiver.After I returned my T743 recently, I auditioned Marantz and HK. These two even you put your ear close to the speaker and crank up the vol. to maximum there is no hiss, totally muted even there is no input.The T743 no hiss at 00db but when you start to turn the volume even to -74db, just 1db increment it will start to hiss and it will increase with volume.It something like a noise from the power supply that not filtered out correctly or a part of a circuit not properly grounded.I email NAD last week and at last after 5 days I received an answer. They said that the previous T7X3 has a hiss and hum problem.That means there is really a problem. I don't understand why some of our friends here don't believe us.If you wnat a copy of the email, I can forward it to you.Right now I have a Cambridge Audio 540R and like the Marantz and HK, no hiss.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Here is the letter from NAD WEB master FAQ .

Thank you for your recent request via the NAD Electronics web-site.

Some owner's of our early T7X3 series AV receivers experienced noise issues. These were reported and rectified. We are not experiencing these issues with our current AV receivers.
All electronics have some level of noise, which is specified for every product as "signal-to-noise ratio" and hiss is always audible close to the speakers from the tweeter usually in a surround mode and especially if the analog input is open. This can also occur if the speaker levels are turned up above 0dB.

If you still feel that the noise level is unusual, check to see what version of firmware your unit has. The latest version for the T743 is 2.05. To check your version, pressing VIDEO and TONE CONTROL will give you the number.

Best regards,

Karen Pritchard

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
larz,

As I mentioned, it depends on if your input is turned on or not. Without any input, my Nad is completely silent also...no matter how loud I turn it up. If you play, for example a CD and then pause it or press the stop button...once that input has been established you'll have a slight hiss. Stereo components always do this. It is normal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Keith

All receiver produce hiss when there is an input and you pause it. I agree because you have a signal that you stop and still audible up to the load which is the speaker. But my t743 hiss even there is no input. Disconnect everything excluding the speaker and just power on the receiver and it will hiss.Maybe I can say you are lucky and I'm not ooops we are not because I'm not the only one.According to NAD this problem found on the early T7x3 model. It's so funny since I live just 10 kms away from Lenbrook and I got the old model. That means I have to travel far to get a new one? its ok if I can reimburse my fare to NAD. So sad.....:-( :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
I Agree with Keith on this matter as I reported my moons ago under the Anonymous100 posting, this is what I reported

"Guys enough with the Hiss, Some prior Denon units had muted amplifier stages, when the amp does not see any signal it does not amplify...therefore no hiss. Others don't(have muted outputs), I returned an old Sony years ago that didn't have muted circutry...and guess what, it hissed. I've listen to many amplifiers lately and guess what most of them Hiss if there are no signal or sources selected, and yes this hiss is progressive as you turn the volume dial up, test it for yourselves...you'll see that most amps will hiss, yes it's annoying but not really audible if you are listening to a source at moderate levels (unless the speaker is 1 foot away from your ears)"

When will you ever listen to an amplifer at full volume, you'd be crazy to and not to mentionned the costly speaker repairs...My recommendation is: Listen to the reciever at your reference level then pause your DVD and see what noises if any are audible, my guess is not too much. and if their is some hiss, to what distance can you actually hear it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
larz,
I see, I didn't know that was the case. I would be disturbed also if the hiss was above the normal standard. I had hoped it wasn't the case with yours. Such a disappointment. Can you send it back for repair? I would be sure they would fix it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
As I mentioned before my NAD starts to hiss at
-74db and it's audible from my listening position because I have a very quite room. I cannot even hear my aircondition running nor my heater.Imagine the level -74db, what for at full volume.We are discussing this because we have a problem with our NAD. If you don't have you are lucky and maybe you can start a thread "our NAD that does not hiss" Take note that NAD admitted they have a problem with the previous batch.

I think I can stop going on with this thread since I do not have the NAD anymore and have the CA 540R that sounds amazing at a bargain price and no .. hiss.

Silver Member

Post Number: 817
I agree with larz. Although I'm not yet giving up my NAD. I would like to get it fixed though.

Unregistered guest
I don't get it.

How can you NAD owners be so self indulgent as to defend your brand (or any brand) to the degree of calling others liars by questioning their hearing?

Foremost and the obvious should be stated, landroval commands more credentials and audio respect along with an ongoing unbiased reporting posture than any apparent NAD owner posting on this specific thread. Yet, the NAD gang continues to incessantly contradict the reported hiss issues by him and the others.

The identical issues have been repeatedly reported on this thread to a degree comprehensible to all, except, curiously, the self-absorbed NAD owners.

Why do you continue to alienate people? Really, you should come to the realization that you are providing a noble favor to all newbies and passerbys by etching deeper the engraving on the NAD tombstone regarding the veracity of this hissing issue. In fact keep piling on and telling them it's their imagination. As duly noted, more will keep checking in.

Depending on one's neck of the woods, if you continued in person bobbing, weaving and conflicting one's truthfulness, you would wind up on your hind side while gasping and Hissing for air.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Jaw,
I'm sure you are not NAD owner. I think you should go and listen NAD before you say we are alienating people. Take your headphones with you.

I agree with you Larz and Landroval. I really would like to get my NAd fixed.

Username: Myka

Toronto, Ontario CANADA

Post Number: 6
I just bought a NAD T-752 and I could not be happier. I have tried everything from Yamaha & H/K without any real satisfaction. Once I heard the NAD, I was sold. Im running DEF TECH speakers and they have never sounded better.
I cant believe I got the best sound from a Canadian company (NAD). I have read about some problems with my line, but its been trouble free for me so far. I have only had it 2 days now, so I will keep everyone posted if anything changes.

Username: Kuifje

I have a T763 for tree weeks.
After a week I sent it back whit hiss problems.
When it returns the problem was still there.
Only whit the volume on -00db it's gone, by -74db it there.
The hiss is independent of the volume.
The hiss comes from the preamp.
At low level the hiss is loader then the music on my surround canals.
It is sad because the sound is good!!!

Kuifje

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Some people don't understand what is our main goal here.Simple to get our NAD fix!Do you think its fair to spend $$$ but you are not happy.With this thread NAD will straight what is bend, correct what is wrong and makes consumers happy.

llari72 and landroval sorry if I gave up early. I can not live for 30 days without receiver and I'm tired of waiting. From the email I got from NAD recently, there is a new version of software for the T743, the V2.05 and hope it will solve the hiss issue. Cross your fingers.

JAW We are not alienating people instead we want to help them. Second we are not defending other brand but everybody has the right to choose what he wants. If you are not a NAD owner go out and listen. Compare the NAD T753 and the CA 540R and you will know what I mean by price per performance ratio and you will be surprised.

Bronze Member

Hey JAW, Do you work for NAD? just asking.

Bronze Member

Myka the NAD T752 is a previous model. Where did you get it? I'm also from Toronto.

Bad news.
I have V2,05
Still got "the problem"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Kuifje

The version I mentioned is for the T743. I do not know the new version for T763. Send NAD an email or ask your dealer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Hi All,

First of all, I started this thread to get my NAD fixed. Send it back to the NAD representitive her in Holland. Waited 6 weeks and got a T743 back which *might* have a reduced noise level. *Might have* because I really don't know whether I got used to it or if they actually reduced the hissing.

No way I'm giving up my T743, because it just sounds too good, especially with the really useful surround modes like Enhanced stereo (which I use a lot for radio listening).

I'm pretty sure that NAD follows this thread as it will make a lot of customers unsure about this hissing issue. When I bought this receiver, I searched the internet about complaints/problems. If I would have known about the hissing issue I'm not sure whether I would actually have bought it. (Then probably would have gone the Cambridge Audio way)

The hissing issue is so easy to test: just plug-in headphones and switch it on. Decide for yourselves then.

The dealer where I bought this receiver was very reluctant about demonstrating this receiver.And that's the lesson folks: JUST HEAR IT FOR YOURSELVES!!!! Unfortunately it's a €799,- lesson (and more if you buy a T753 or T763).

And I really hope that I will read something about a solution for this problem. NAD, don't deny it, fix it!!!

Kind regards,

Alex

Dan Larsen
Unregistered guest
I agree that this hiss is a problem that NAD should react to, in this forum infact. I have written to NAD and reffered to this site. Maybe you should too.

Try: http://www.nadelectronics.com/faq/index.htm

I hope NAD takes their customers seriously

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 26
Wow, this thread is going to go on for years.

LARZ / KUIFJE...

I just started another thread about firmware updates... version 2.05 IS CURRENT for the T763.

BTW - even with the other issues I had with my 763... I never had a hiss problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Read Kuifje's previous post. He got the new software version V2.05 and his NAD still hiss.

Guys since I'm happy with the CA 540R, I'm still curious and will drive around Toronto area and will visit some dealers again to check this new batch of NAD receivers with new software and I will keep you posted.Cross your fingers and I'm still in doubt.As an electronics engineer and worked as audio technician in Sony and Aiwa for a few years, this kind of hiss is not normal, something like a ground fault and can not be corrected by software. NAD won't admitt this, they do not want their business to be slaughtered. I called one dealer in Downtown Toronto this morning and they all admitt that this issue of NAD is not normal.

Another dealer told me a few days ago that as per sales rep. they are aware of this but they can not admitt in public to avoid thousands of returns. In fact I saw an advertisement from one newspaper here in Toronto that Lenbrook is looking for NAD technician, maybe you know why. My mistake was I forgot to apply to see what is going on inside the NAD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Brad, Have you tried using headphone, without input and turn the volume a bit?

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 53
juan dela cruz... I was just saying the same.

Username: Blue_note

Newport, RI

In my experience, there's always a certain amount of hiss when an amp is in "idle" mode, meaning, there's nothing playing. Is the hiss worse than that coming from a blank cassette when you play it?

Re: last 2 posts, what was that all about?

Newport, RI

Post Number: 3
juan dela cruz

What were you trying to say?

No offense, but can we stick to English, please, so that other members of this forum may benefit from your opinion re: NADs?

Thank you.

Bronze Member

blue note

jaun de la cruz is a rude filipino. Its so ashame that he used the name juan de la cruz to criticize his own fellowmen. I admitt that my egnlish is not good because its not my first language at least I'm trying too.That is why Philippines is sinking in the mud because these attitude.I'm poor in English but I graduated in MIT with BS in Enigineering what about you juan de la cruz tae!

Newport, RI

Post Number: 4
larz,

Thank you for clarifying that. I'm with you and don't worry about your English. You're doing fine. What matters is the content of your post, and as far as I'm concerned, your postings are of great value to present and future NAD owners.

Keep posting, dear sir.

To Admin, can you do something about rude posters like juan dela cruz above. Surely, this is not the proper forum for that person to criticize or belittle "larz" above, regardless of the language used. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
larz;

Yes, I did... the hiss was never a problem. I did have other problems with a 762 at first ("popping" into protect when scanning a digital input)... and then with the replacement 763 (turning itself off and on intermittantly - or 'recycling'). THAT one has also gone back... and I'm awaiting a 773. I'll let you know.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2263
Sorry to barge in, not having read this entire thread, but a couple of friends remembered my previous posts, and suggested I take a look here and see if I could say anything.

Old thread, only one post (from me), but relevant, possibly. Also a link there to another:

Hum problem solved. Testimonial for NAD customer service.

Also:

Receiver quality and NAD

There has to be a certain amount of background hiss coming from any amp or receiver. If it is audible from the listening position, it can be classed as a fault, whether it comes from the design or, as in my case, linked above, from a component that is not up to its job.

In surround modes the DSP is working, and that has to generate its own signal which can also produce some hiss. It should still not be audible under normal conditions. If you put your ear next to a speaker with the receiver on, at high gain, and with no programme material, you should hear some hiss, but very little, with stereo, analogue inputs or with "Ext 5.1" or "Ext 5.1/7.1" analogue inputs. This is normal. If you ask the receiver to make surround sound with Prologic or EARS, or to decode AC-3 or DTS from a digital input, you will probably hear more hiss because the DSP is doing its job. Or trying to, if there is no digital input. If you switch the digital source on, the hiss can go away, or be decreased, because the DSP has locked onto the signal.

These are only tests for the curious. If any hiss or hum intrudes under normal listening conditions then there is some problem. If it is from the receiver, there is certainly cause for complaint.

My Rantz also started a thread where people considered whether there is some general problem with NAD, as compared with other makes. My own conclusion is that there is no evidence for this. But I think we can give NAD more credit than most for concern with customer satisfaction. Dealers can vary in how much responsibility they take, but that is true of most makes, too.

NAD - To be or not to be?

Silver Member

Post Number: 825
Thanks for your help John. You're right about the DSP and it's influence to the hiss problem. My T743 hisses clearly more when a DSP mode (PL1/2, EARS) is selected. With stereo and Ext5.1 the hiss is very similar, but it's not as loud. Although even with stereo the hiss is too loud in my opinion. The worst thing about it is that it's equally loud with low and high volumes, with low vols it's very annoying, while with higher volumes it's much easier to forget. The hiss is definitely caused by the pre-amp section of the receiver and nothing else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2265
landroval,

You are welcome.

Do you hear it when you have selected the input "Tape Monitor"?

Is it there with the FM radio tuner?

Apologies if the answer is already here, above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 828
Yes, the hiss is present with every input and also the tuner.

I was a little careless while testing the hiss with and without DSP. Actually there is no difference, it's just more audible when the center is on. So no the DSP/DSP-modes doesn't seem to add any hiss at all.

Also the hiss is equal with analog and digital inputs, and turning of video inputs doesn't change it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Blue Note

Thanks for understanding :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2267
landroval,

All I can say is you are right about it being the power amp, and it is a fault. If you can hear the hiss as you describe, the unit is most unlikely to have the specified signal-to-noise ratio.

I have not gone back to the archived part of this thread to check if you have already done so, but contact the dealer from whom you bought the receiver, and see what he says. If you do not get action or are unhappy with the suggestion (such as "let us have it for an unspecified time") then describe the problem simply and clearly in an e-mail to nad@nadelectronics.com - you could do that anyway. It will probably help them if you include the serial number, since it is quite likely to be a "known issue" with a particular production run.

I am quite sure NAD will fix this for you one way or another. As I have said before, the HiFi Klubben regional distributor, if that is where you got it, is in Denmark, and the technical guys there are first class, really on the ball, also helpful.

Post Number: 3
Hoi,

I have done some test with mine T763 V2.05.

No really hiss reduction. The soft ware switched off the cannels if not used. E.q. When playing dolby 2.0 or 2.1 the surround cannels mute. Then there is no hiss on those channels. When I select the dolby 5.0, 5.1 or analog in 7.1 the hiss is back.

New in this software:
Prologic IIx (hard ware update necessary)
5 extra fixed presets (preset 5 till 10)
Some OSD stuff en Zone settings
Enhanced bass settings in speaker settings

Butt:
HDCD is gone!!!

Kuifje

Post Number: 4
This i fond on the Dutch NAD site.

I can't find it on the international site.

Maybe it come soon.

http://www.andbenelux.com/nl/nad/viewproduct.asp?ID=371&MERK=NAD&CATEGORIE=AV+Re ceivers

*****Versie MKII features van de vernieuwde bedienings software*****************
De meeste tijdelijke meldingen op het VFD worden nu ook via het OSD weergegeven.
A/V Presets kunnen worden hernoemd.
5 vast ingebouwde A/V Presets (Preset 6 - 10) met de meest voorkomende luidspr. instellingen.
Tuner status wordt nu weegegeven via OSD. W.o TUNED, STEREO, en FM MUTE iconen, frequentie, voorkeuze namen, RDS naam, voorkeuze nr. Op de T163/T763/T773 ook RDS radio tekst.
Directe frequentie invoer voor de tuner. (Zet de HTR 2 in TUNER mode voor deze toepassing.)
Nieuw menu 'ZONE SETTINGS'. Dit menu heeft de volgende nieuww opties:
o POWER STATE -- Mogelijkheid om de second zone aan/uit te zetten zonder de ZR-2.
o INPUT -- Mogelijkheid om de input te veranderen van de 2e zone zonder de ZR-2.
o VOLUME CTRL -- Mogelijkheid om de volume regelaar te blokkeren voor de 2e zone.
o LEVEL -- Mogelijkheid om te switchen tussen de vaste lijn uitgang (wanneer de vol reg. is geblokkeerd), of het instellen van het huidige volme.
o ZONE SPEAKER -- Kan worden gebruikt om de ls relais in te schakelen voor de 2e zone zelfs wanneer de hoofd-zone uit staat. Dit maakt het mogelijk om de interne eindversterker te gebruiken voor de 2e zone.
ENHANCED STEREO mode is nu door de gebruiker in te stellen. Je kunt kiezen wélke ls aan/uit.
Discrete IR commando's zijn toegevoegd voor élke surround mode.
Verbeterde functionaliteit van de 'sleep timer' (eerste druk geeft de status aan).
ENHANCED BASS toegevoegd op het SPEAKER SETTINGS menu. Deze optie geeft laag via de subwoofer output ook wanneer de ls op 'large' staan.
ROM is vernieuwd op het DSP board, v2.00 ondersteund nu ook ProLogic IIx. (Let op! HDCD = vervallen maar staat nog wél als logo op het frontpaneel, dat niet gewijzigd is)

Post Number: 5
This is a automatic translation.

***** Version MKII features of the renewed service software ***************** most of temporary the reports on the VFD are now also reflected by means of the OSD. A/V Presets can become hernoemd. 5 permanently built in A/V Presets (Preset 6 - 10) with the most attentive luidspr. institutions. Tuner status becomes now weegegeven by means of OSD. W.o TUNED, STEREO, and FM MUTE iconen, frequency, voorkeuze names, RDS name, voorkeuze no. T163/T763/T773 the also RDS radio text. Direct frequency import for the tuner. (Put the HTR 2 in TUNER vogue for this application.) New menu ` AREA SETTINGS. This menu has the following nieuww options: o POWER STATE - possibility the second area to/of turning off zonder ZR-2. o INPUT - possibility the input of 2e the area of changing zonder ZR-2. o VOLUME CTRL - possibility the volume of blocking corrector for 2e the area. o LEVEL - possibility between the fixed line termination (of switching when the full reg. has been blocked), or establishing the current volme. o AREA SPEAKER - can be used to integrate when l relais for 2e the area even the head area stands. This makes it possible the internal use end amplifier for 2e the area. ENHANCED STEREO vogue are now establishing the user. You can choose wélke l to/. Discreet IR commandos have been added for élke surround vogue. Improved functionality of the ` sleep timer (first very gives the status to). ENHANCED BASS added on SPEAKER SETTINGS menu. This option gives low by means of the subwoofer output also when the l on ` large stand. Rom has been renewed on the DSP board, v2.00 supported now also ProLogic IIx. (Pay attention to! HDCD = expire but stand still much if logo on the front panel, which is not modified)

Username: Sound4bargain

New to this post but need some help - I just returned my 2nd NAD T753 hum in the rear channels (not with my ear stuck to it but from 5 feet) I mean a hum not a hiss(white noise). I love the sound of the NAD for analog audio and the audio quality of digital but the dolby decoder totally disappointed me. I am looking to put Yamaha 1400/2400 as processor for the front channels and get the NAD C270 as the amplifier. I have infinity alpha 50 speakers. Wonder if anyone has any idea on how good or bad is the preamp section of the Yamaha.

Unregistered guest
If you live to the age of a hundred you have it made because very few
people die past the age of a hundred.
-- George Burns

Gold Member

Post Number: 2403
Larry,

just try it in DTS and see if you hear a difference. I already have a definite opinion, thought not on that particular disc, and would prefer to hear yours independently.

As I write eyes turn to Ohio, but it seems commentators are not predicting a Bush win only because of extreme caution "after last time". So that is how Florida turned in all it electoral college votes for the Rep.? Surely people will notice, if that is a general trend. Sure it is not counter-conspiracy...? If you are right, I am wholly with 2c.

My Rantz,

Thank you so much. I withdraw "genius". You've warned me about this before!

But there was something genuinely new in the mixture that Dylan alone came up with in the early 60s. Others could have done it, but didn't. Paul Simon went to UK folk clubs at about the same time, and went back to US with sugary and sentimental introspective ballads. Dylan has anger, passion, and real creativity. Not only could he not sing for shyte, he could only strum a few chords on a guitar, and hardly tune it himself. There was still something magical and new there. Which musicans/song writers could you put the label "genius" on? They were all using what they had, in their place, in their time. Some came up with something lasting and its influence spread and spread. Some just re-cycled what others had already done. It is not always easy to draw a line between those.

Kegger,

Lol. I can't see Bush with a system like. Nothing about music, there. Mr Blair's taste in music is Oasis, Genesis, etc., so I understand. I would see him falling for Bose, if I had to guess.

Unregistered guest
User n.:
A programmer who will believe anything you tell him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2411
Apologies to Frank and others here. My post Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 02:28 am was intended for another thread, and makes no sense in this one.

Unregistered guest
SAGITTARIUS (Nov 22 - Dec 21)
You are optimistic and enthusiastic. You have a reckless
tendency to rely on luck since you lack talent. The majority
of Sagittarians are drunks or dope fiends or both. People
laugh at you a great deal.
<a href="http://www.refinance-mortgage-com.com">Mortgage Refinancing</a> http://www.refinance-mortgage-com.com

Anonymous

Kuifje, Did you hear a hum or any noise when you put your ear about 5 inches from the speaker when volume set at 00db?

Unregistered guest
It is not true that life is one damn thing after another -- it's one
damn thing over and over.
-- Edna St. Vincent Millay
<a href="http://www.refinance-mortgage-com.com">Mortgage Refinance</a> http://www.refinance-mortgage-com.com

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 478
Is there any way that the moderators can keep these types of unsolicited advertisements off the forum?

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
Howdy all. New here, so I'll try to make this brief. I'll also cross post this over in the 'Why not to buy NAD' thread.

I auditioned a T763 Saturday. I have been reading each and EVERY response that a search hit comes up with 'NAD' and 'T743,T753,T763' on both this and AVSforum. (WAY too many hours wrapped up in reading about this stuff this past week) I was initially looking at a 753, but decided I really wanted to listen to the torroid power supply, as that's what I have come to be accustomed with. I coupled it together with the T533, largely based on what John A. wrote in his audio thread about it, as I respect his opinion. (kudos again for the great write up John)

I was honestly tepid, since I have not owned or auditioned anything NAD after the Canadian owned company buyout; but I did recall the quality of sound and exuberant life that my old NAD 310 used to give music before I moved past it to my Adcom GFA5300 for more power. (larger room)

Flat out, yes, there is a 'hiss'. NO, it's not major. I've heard just about all the amplifiers I've ever could imagine a person sensibly taking the time to audition, (meaning, usually at least a solid 45 minutes of varied composition in a dedicated audition setup room), and EVERYTHING makes a 'hiss' at this level to the least. To point; There's a reason the high end amps don't filter the hiss out like the retail japanese brands do; Filters are indiscriminate. A filter will kill anything, hiss, noise, or source without knowing it, as long as it's in that frequency profile. That's like dropping a certain frequency spectrum with an EQ down 4% in one section. Hardly what I'd want to be done to my source when shooting for accurate pristine reproduction.

I brought my own B&W DM602's with my own AudioQuest bi-wire so as to keep things within frame of reference. (I always do for auditions; one of the nice things about midsize non-floorstanding speakers)

Back to the 'hiss'. It's negligible. Even $4000+ sunfire amps makes this 'hiss' at sub 1M distance from a good set of efficient speakers when the volume is at the normal audible listening level. Don't believe me, go check.

There was no 'hummm'. I've read a bunch about it on these forums, and I can't recall and give the man due credit, but someone spoke with a Denmark engineer that worked for NAD, who had tracked it down to two bad diodes on the board near the power supply. They were spec'd for 110*F operation limit in the T7x0, T7x1 series, but when the power levels went up in the 7x2 and 7x3 series, the heat went up, and was frying the diodes. Replacement with the 140*F spec version has since cured this problem, and any current production/recently shipped units from NAD should have corrected this.

For the facts, it was a 2.0 firmware T763 from an authorized dealer in the Suburbs of Philadelphia.

From my listening position, approx 9 feet direct from ear to speaker, you could not hear a hiss until you hit around -15 db. That's ALOT of volume for the average recording from any CD. I was driving music through the ENTIRE STORE with the audition room doors CLOSED AND SEALED at anything over -10. (albeit, they were french doors with glass panes all throughout, but we're still talking about a store the size of a medium 2500 sq ft home with no exposed exterior windows and all walls insulated for sound!) I had one customer come in because he heard it all from the other side of the store and wanted to see what I was up to. He stayed for the audition and we shared some thoughts on the supposed 'hiss' issue, the amps character, the preamps flexibilty, and the T533's DAC compared to the T763's DAC. As you progress into the + db range of the amp, it does begin to create a slight hiss, and is as audible from the listening position as a person pursing their lips and blowing like they're extinguishing a match at arms length. NOT loud, NOT noticable unless it's dead silent, and even then, at the volume of even QUIET source material, + db signals can be DEAFENING at that distance. (Hearing damage is cumulative. This has been my public service announcement)

Amp: Clean. Pure. Traditional NAD. I was quite pleased. No crazy color, no brash 'manifested' dynamics. While using the stereo bypass, no DSP processing in the preamp, and pure analog signal from the DAC in the T533, it was a performance on par with amps I've auditioned 2x - 3x the price envelope. (street price, not list) I can't say enough good things about the amp section; it is NAD to the core. That should say it all.

Pre-amp: I have to admit, I was quite pleased. I looked for a shortcoming, and really, I didn't find one. It worked the way it was supposed to, switching was straight forward and fast, reprogramming an inputs source connections was easy and understandble without having more than glanced at the manual before hand. (I did print them out from the NAD site, which I give them kudos for; I appreciate a company not hiding their manuals from the world) When not using an input source for an input, it's easy to just shut it off entirely from the input setup menu. Whether this really silences any incoming feed noise from the input or not I couldn't tell you, it just stopped the DSP from looking for the signal, and thus, would not blink on the FlouroDisplay to warn you the signal was lost. If there was any noise before I shut them off, I couldn't hear it, even at 0 db with no source. (this is not -00db which is at the bottom of the volume scale; it's way up past where one would normally listen to audio for a reader that isn't familiar with NAD's volume scale; -00db jumps to -74db then gradiates in 1db increments to 0db and then on to +18 db)

Remote: This deserves a special note. The HTR2-8 that comes with all of the T7x3 series units is one of the best universal programmables I've come across. And I've had ALOT. (from the oldest SONY AVR-2000's to the newer Philips Pronto lineup) The HTR is fast and easy to recall a library code, or take one and augment it with specific programming on certain buttons. And it's SMALL/SLIM. It's got all the main functions you'll ever really need, but is not so overbearing as to be intimidating. Even my neophyte gf figured it out relativly quickly. Large, multi hundred dollar display based universal remotes are powerful, but are not exactly 'couch friendly' nor do they 'hold' well usually. The HTR easily swallows many commands (including macros!) quickly and easily and still maintains a small, easily handled profile that is not overly intimidating. This remote alone should be factored into the purchase price of a T7x3 unit, since to get this kind of flexibility, you'd have to spend $100 plus easily on another universal, and you STILL wouldn't have the slimness and ease of handling that this HTR provides!

T533: This is a pretty standard fare DVD player. After the first CD's audition, and a fairly warm entrance greeting, I was floored when it wouldn't load my second CD. It'd spin up, and.... nothing. Tried a different disc. Again....nothing. Peculiar head stratching began. I finally voiced my compliant to my dealer, who had come in wondering why it was so quiet in the room for more than 5 minutes straight (tells you how 'audible' I was driving the system :-D lol ) and we both stared for a second. He told me it was disturbing, as it was a new unit he had JUST removed from the packaging for ME. We grabbed another of the shelf, unpacked it, and it worked fine. The first must have been a casualty of UPS handling. He gets that in ALL makes of DVD/CD pieces at times, anything with moving parts really.

I did not have a DVD-A disc on hand to try that I was familiar enough to tell you whether it's DAC was doing the job 'right', so I'll refrain from making a judgement there. (I don't own a DVD-A player yet, so why would I own the discs? :-P ) I did audition one of the stores DVD-A discs though, and it was musical transcendance. John A. wasn't kidding. I see it replacing the CD inside of 5 years, once DVD-A players are more common in mainstream stores like Best Buy, Ciruit City, and such.

DAC vs DAC: (T533 vs T763)

This was a tough one. I used a bunch of material, and flip flopped back and forth between the two DAC's, end of track, mid track, etc. I honestly have no judgement on this. They're both pretty darn Good. Are they Calif Audio Labs good? enh. But then again, you're talking midfi components; there is a definite price reality here. Are they good for the price? No, they're GREAT for the price. Some people say that Denon DAC's are more advanced, faster, high bit rate, etc. I think that even if the circuitry for the DSP is spec'd better, the supporting circuits must also do the job, which I don't think Denon's build quality is on par with at staying or coming as close to Class 'A', as NAD is. That's IMHO of course. (Not trying to be a Denon'hater)

Overall: In closing, I think that theme from the DAC vs DAC pervades. For the PRICE, this is GREAT gear. I likened Audiophile gear to fine wines when I tried to explain to my gf/prospectus fiance why spending this enormous sum of money was acceptable. ANYONE can buy a $70 bottle of bordeaux. It's going to taste great, have great body, a subtle character, etc. It's expected with that kind of price tag; if you can afford it that is. The pure joy of shopping is when you find that happenstance $12 bottle, that tastes almost as good, has all the right character and body for you, and leaves you realizing that it cost you one FIFTH of what a 'sure thing' would have been. THAT is how I see NAD. It's price for performance (assuming a fully functioning unit that 'should' be the norm in all future shipments) is PHENOMENAL for someone that is serious about musicality of a system.

So, That's my 'short' review.

I hope it gives any prospective buyers out there some real insight; If there were any issues with hum (mis-specd diode during a chassis upgrade) or supposed hiss (not really as audibile as some may have reported it to be), I DID NOT SEE THEM DURING MY AUDITION.

This should make it abundantly clear to everyone, as always when spending this kind of money, AUDITION IN PERSON before you buy. Had I just bought on site, or online, that DOOB (dead out of the box) T533 would have been home with me before I discovered it. I drove 2.5 hours EACH WAY to have this audition; it's a bigger deal than you would initially think.

....And yes, I did spend all day yesterday listening to my new purchases.

I definitely found my $12 bottle. :-D

E.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidr

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 12
As an owner of a T533 and T743, those are my sentiments EXACTLY. Thank you.

DR

Gold Member

Post Number: 2450
Thanks for that, and thanks for noticing my posts, Elmosaurus!

I agree with DavidR; that all rings true. I think you are right about hiss, too.

My older T760 receiver sounds better on everything, even just CD, with the Ext 5.1 inputs. Though DVD-A is certainly something else, as you indicate. I think the newer model receivers have "Stereo direct" which probably does something similar, missing out an input board.

Watch out for NAD T533 problem I had, which is that it can be outwitted by new forms of copy protection on certain DVD-A discs. It can be fixed. I also blame the record companies; it was not part of the DVD-A disc spec. Maybe your player is from a more recent production run and they have fixed it. Let me link here to the thread NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio which may be the one you were thinking of, anyway.

Good luck. Happy listening!

Bronze Member

Elmo;

Hear, Hear. Great Post...

Username: Paulof

(also posted in "Why not to buy NAD")
Just ordered T733 and 753 in a local shop and the dealer told me that the unit he had on stock had been collected by the local representative from NAD to solve the "hiss" problem. As stated by the the dealer this occured when the font is not ON so it's a little bit different from some complaints stated here. Anyway it's a clear sign that NAD recognized the problem and is solving it.
Anyway I should have it in a couple of weeks time so i'll post my experience as soon as I have some hours of listening.

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
I also wanted to mention, for any potential shoppers; It is clearly marked on the outside of the T763 box with a vibrantly colored sticker that the system is 'Version 2.0'; if anyone would like to see what the sticker looks like, just ask, and I'll take a digi pic and post up a link to it.

I will dig up the thread where it says how to retrieve the actual 2.0x version from the firmware, and post up what mine is. It was shipped in to my Authorized dealer only about 3 weeks ago.

John A., I did glance over the first half of that LONG LONG thread during my previous research. I didn't fully digest it since I don't have DVD-A discs just yet, and I'm not going to run out and buy them by the ton until those said idiosyncracies are ironed out; but I'll definitely have a deeper read now that my brain can relax a bit. (the shopping is done, and moreover, there is beautiful music to help soothe the effort and stress...)

And to dissuade any web-shoppers who are thinking too much with their wallet; be advised, most authorized dealers will 'work' with you on price to get you down to a FAIR agreeable price.

I won't post who I did patron specifically, but I can say my price, even with the 2.5 hour drive each way factored in, easily approached a 'web order price' WITHOUT losing a good relationship with a local shop, the backing of a good dealer, and the power of the factory authorized dealer backed warranty. I think the best online price I saw only beat my final combined price by about $125. (That's CHEAP insurance to have gotten the time to sit and audition for three hours, ensure my products were new units and not refurbished, feel out the dealer and his repetoire, and have authorized dealer warranty backing!)

E.

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
One other thing: (which is also cross posted in the other thread)

I really should have mentioned also how musical that DVD player is; far above the norm for a DVD player.

I look back now and don't think I made that quite clear while talking about it, or it's DAC.

While using the internal DAC to render audio, and passing the audio stream through good interconnects from the analog L&R ports, it easily holds it's par with some of the best musical CD dedicated audiophile pieces I've had the pleasure of listening to.

I wouldn't hesistate to reccommend it as an 'all in one' solution to anyone at all; it's more than adequate for CD audio for ALL but the most DEMANDING audiophile. I feel strange making a reccommendation so general like that, but really, short of spending over $1k on a dedicated CD unit, for sub $1k devices, this fits the bill nicely for both roles.

Really, Price for performance; Authentic NAD!

E.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Hi Elmosaurus

I appreciate your good and solid analysis of the 'hiss issue'. I was in doubt whether I should return my T743. I am definitively not gonna return it, because it just sounds to good. And the hiss is there, but it is acceptable IMHO.

I auditioned a T743 in the store and I noticed that it hisses much less than in my appartment. Could it be that a surge protector has an influence on the amount of hiss ?
Someone knows ?

Alex

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
Alex,

Yes, I've had a theory for a while, but I can't really confirm it; I believe that some of the hiss issues are due to poor housing wiring grounds.

If the ground that the chassis and components relies upon is not available or set up properly, it may not be able to disperse any intruding EMI noise out of the system, and it stays in the circuits, ending up affecting the final signal.

I know that home hardware stores do sell testers to confirm whether a house is wired properly with a ground fault indicator on the unit; If the supply outlet isn't tied to a ground, an indicator lights up on the test unit. This of course only tests for a ground presence; not whether the ground is a clean ground that may or may not be 'dirtied' with noise from another appliance.

Getting a nice power conditioner may or may not solve the problem, because if the apartment wiring itself is not grounded properly, the conditioner can't do it's job either.

I'd like to definitely ask, is your T743 at home a Version 2.0? (marked on outside of the box) And did you confirm if the unit at the dealer was a 2.0? And are you using the same speakers to have a true 'apples to apples' comparison of the version at home versus the version at your store?

Either way, you understand my point, which makes me quite happy; if it pleases you, that's all that matters. I for one LOVE the musicality of the units, the ease of it's use and features, and the power of the HTR2-8 remote; the little 'inaudible under normal listening circumstances' hiss that some people seem to be up in arms about, definitely is a non issue for me.

E.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Alex,

Maybe your speakers are more sensitive than the store.The last time I spoke to NAD, an engineer told me that the hiss is coming from the DSP board and its normal to all T7x3 model wether a V1 or V2 version.In my opinion it can not be fixed by a line conditioner or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Elmosaurus/Larz,

I'm using Celestion speakers with a rated efficiency of 90db. In the shop they used Dali speakers (don't know which). But I brought my headphones in order to compare the hissing. It is very difficult to 'remember' the amount of hiss in order to compare. Anyways, I'm now sure I don't have a defective T743, and I love the NAD sound, especially with the NAD C541 CD player. I'm just leave it as it is, and enjoy the music. Thanks for your input!

Alex
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us